How long do 250cc tyres last?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do 250cc tyres last?

Just costing up how much I should be putting aside for things like tyres on a 250cc that will be used as a commuter bike with some weekend riding in the hills (weather permitting)

How long would one expect a set of semi-soft tyres to last with a 100kg rider on the bike, mostly k's put on around town? Is 15,000 unreasonable for a back, and 20,000km for the front?

You dont need soft tyres!!!, just get the hard ones, they last longer!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by letus@Jan 16 2006, 08:26 PM
      You dont need soft tyres!!!, just get the hard ones, they last longer!!!!!!
      [snapback]215590[/snapback]
      Hence the semi-soft. I still want ones that are a little forgiving should I have an error in judgement when setting my speed for a turn.

Comment

I'm no expert on the subject, but I'd say 20 thousand kays on a tyre is asking a bit much.

Comment

In TurboR1's thread about the Pilot Powers, people were getting ~10,000k's on what I assume to be a pretty soft compound tyre, so I assume that a harder compound tyre could get close to 20,000km's ???I've got a battleaxes on mine, they're *I believe* a trade off between softer compound and hard compound tyres, they're harder compound in the middle, (good for commuting) and softer compound on the sides for a bit of better cornering performance.

Also I believe your front tyre will wear faster than your rear.

(Some one correct my ass)

Comment

so long as you aren't going round doing burnouts all the time, i can't see why 15k is unreasonable. the michy pilot sport rear on my zx12 is just clocking up 16k, which is pretty shameful really, but i haven't really had the situation to give it too much shit.
            "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

Also I believe your front tyre will wear faster than your rear.
              all depends on the bike and riders style. a smaller bike wear the front faster as your braking power may be more than your driving power. the opposite may be true for bigger bikes. but if you're really gunning it on takeoff with the smaller bike, and not using the brakes very hard, you'll wear the rear quicker.
              "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Battlax on the old Suzi. I would've thought the rears would wear faster - more torque, more weight. Maybe I'm thinking pushie again.

Comment

Speaking of tyres, can anyone tell me what condition my tyres are in are in? I have no clue I think they are them Battleaxe ones, too lazy to check (:
                  Front:

Rear:

Done a bit more than 10000km ...and a few burnouts

Comment

I think they are them Battleaxe ones, too lazy to check (:
                    if you're too lazy to check what type of tyre it is when you were taking pics, you'd be way too lazy to check the wear indicators...you'll get a few more klicks outta them, i'd say they're about 40%... but what do i know bout em?

Comment

tyres on 250cc bikes last friggen ages

my rear will need replacing in 1000km or so, it would have done like 13,000km's with me on it a few thousand with the previous owner.

i nearly bought a VTR250 with the original factory tyre on it, which had heaps of tread left after 14,000km's

Comment

saying how many km's people get on their big bikes isnt really relavent to the question. I have recently put on dunlop GT501 soft compound road tyres on my spada. I got them the night before the denmark trip and now i have done about two thousand km's. I would estimate that i could get another 4-5 000 km's before they become slicks. I ride my bike pretty hard throught corners but dont really accelerate hard so they are wearing evenly. This wear is also from one trackday where i had the tyres "marbling??" and was getting them very hot and sticky hence the more wear they have experienced.

I would never go a hard compound tyre EVER. Theres no need when you consider the saftey issue and on a bike you have far less margin for error than in a car.

bridgestone do a battleaxe which is very popular for 250cc bike cos its cheap and it fits. Its an old design but its not too bad. I found that it would be okay for a commuter bike but was glad i went to the dunlop. The battleaxe is a dual compound with a harder compound in the middle of the tyre so that commuting doesnt wear down the middle but you still have grip when cornering. The reason i dont like this tyre is that the cornering transition is not as smooth as with a soft compound tyre and that the tyre will grip but when it lets go it lets go bad.
                        The dunlop by constrast is always predictable, when it looses grip it regains it (doesnt set up a sliding plane) then it will loose it and regain it again ect. It is also more grippy in the wet that the battleaxe i had but when i got the battleaxe it was too worn to compare fairly. Being a soft compound this tyre will grip heaps but its life is much shorter.

For longlife and value for money, without expecting to be able to push the limits on the track i would go the battleaxe. 15000km's should be reasonable as long as you dont do skids or burnouts.

Calculus-the tread should be as thick as a matchstick to be legal

Edit-bridgestone not dunlop and a few spelling things
                        support honest cops, theres not many left

Comment

Originally posted by chief wiggum@Jan 16 2006, 09:35 PM
                          if you're too lazy to check what type of tyre it is when you were taking pics, you'd be way too lazy to check the wear indicators...you'll get a few more klicks outta them, i'd say they're about 40%... but what do i know bout em?
                          [snapback]215631[/snapback]

Okok, they are battlaxe bridgestones! With the wear indicator I giess I should replace them when the tread wears down to the bump? Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Calculus+Jan 16 2006, 09:54 PM-->
                            Okok, they are battlaxe bridgestones?
                            [snapback]215643[/snapback]
                            [/b]
                            Depends which ones

<!--QuoteBegin-Calculus
                            @Jan 16 2006, 09:54 PM
                            With the wear indicator I giess I should replace them when the tread wears down to the bump? Right?
                            [snapback]215643[/snapback]
                            Yep
                            I can't think what more you could possibly need to know... except maybe this:

Comment

When I got my TU250X it had stacks of tread left on the tyres, but the tyres were very hard and the front tyre quite old. Changing to the Bridgstone B45 made a huge difference to the ride and confidence in the bike. So it may be true that you can purchase tyres that &#39;never&#39; wear out on a 250 and are therefore &#39;economical&#39;, but you might not feel all that great riding on them after they have turned hard over time...
                              I can't think what more you could possibly need to know... except maybe this:

Comment

Working...
                              X