Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FZR250RR

Hey all
    Thinking about getting this fzr250rr (first bike) , 1990 race model, 45,000 k's, twin disk brakes, performance exhaust, x-up valve.
    Went to see it, in pretty decent shape body wise. Took it for a ride but i know close to nothing about bikes =P. Its DAMN quick, i can say that much.
    Anyway, if anyone could provide some input as to what this models like, problems, whether its worth the money etc etc then it'd be much appreciated. He's selling it for 4000 or so.

Thanks all.

Oh and sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.
    Time will allow all mistakes forgivness.

my mate used to have one when we had 250's his was pretty reliable never had problems apart from getting parts they were harder to get and also more expensive it seemed. He needed indicator and no one in perth had one in stock for him. Will still be lots of fun i had a ZZr 250 they were about the same speed but twin disc on the front it could stop so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by kshzx9@Jan 18 2006, 10:04 PM
      my mate used to have one when we had 250's his was pretty reliable never had problems* apart from getting parts they were harder to get and also more expensive it seemed. He needed indicator and no one in perth had one in stock for him. Will still be lots of fun i had a ZZr 250 they were about the same speed but twin disc on the front it could stop so much better.
      [snapback]216526[/snapback]
      Cheers, yeah from what he's told me he leaves the cbr's, zzr's and the across's for dead, but anyone would say that to sell their bike i suppose. Only one way to find out = ), thanks again.

Comment

Bought one of these about 6 months ago for my girlfriends brother. Picked it up for just $2700 with ~40k km on it. For an older 250 is went extremely well, dare I say better then any cbr250rr/zxr250s etc down low anyway. Up top it would eventually fall behind though.

He certainly isnt gentle with it and it hasnt missed a beat as far as I know.
        Here is the little beast.

Basically for the money you can get them for you cant go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by rz350@Jan 18 2006, 10:27 PM
          Bought one of these about 6 months ago for my girlfriends brother. Picked it up for just $2700 with ~40k km on it. For an older 250 is went extremely well, dare I say better then any cbr250rr/zxr250s etc down low anyway. Up top it would eventually fall behind though

Basically for the money you can get them for you cant go wrong.
          Cheers for the info, does that mean i'm getting ripped if i want it for 3800?

Comment

The one we looked at was listed for $3.2k. Put on your bargaining hat and go at it hard. Point out shit wrong with it and deduct it from the price etc. Is $3800 what he is asking or what you have got it down to?

The one we picked up was a bargain. If you can get it down to 3.5k or less, and it really is in good condition, it would probably be worth getting. I wouldnt pay 3.8k for it though.

Comment

$4000 sounds a bit steep to me I'd be thinking the $3000 mark
              No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

I guy that I work with tried to sell me a Kawasaki KR1-S before I got my GPX. I ended up thinking about the total cost of running the bike and the hassle to keep it on the road. Since I have owned 2 stroke MX bikes I decided to steer clear.

Plus if it's your first bike you may want something that is a little more practical.

Comment

KR1-S is a 2 stroke mate, the FZR250 are 4 strokes so shouldnt be anywhere near as much hassle as long as its maintained properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin@Jan 18 2006, 09:55 PM
                    fzr250rr , 1990 race model, 45,000 k's, twin disk brakes, performance exhaust, x-up valve.
                    Went to see it, in pretty decent shape body wise. Took it for a ride but i know close to nothing about bikes =P. He's selling it for 4000 or so.
                    [snapback]216522[/snapback]
                    hmmm...without even looking at www.redbook.com.au , I wouldn't offer anymore than $3000.00 for it.

Check on things like:
                    1. How much rego is left.
                    2. Condition of tyres, brake pads etc.
                    3. Chain, Sprockets etc...wear? Do they need replacing sooner rather than later?
                    4. Fork seals?
                    5. Given the age...is it in a reasonable condition?
                    6. Do all the elctrics work correctly?
                    7. Service history. If there is none...then bargain away.

Just some regular things I'd be looking at if it was me. here you go...Redbook

Steve
                    Originally posted by Viper
                    I'm probably fucking something up.
                    FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
                    Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by reddog@Jan 19 2006, 12:51 PM
                      I guy that I work with tried to sell me a Kawasaki KR1-S before I got my GPX. I ended up thinking about the total cost of running the bike and the hassle to keep it on the road. Since I have owned 2 stroke MX bikes I decided to steer clear.

Plus if it's your first bike you may want something that is a little more practical.
                      [snapback]216772[/snapback]
                      ya might be thinkin of the TZR250... pretty sure thats a stroker.....

Comment

TZR and KR1-S are both two strokers (as are NSR's and RGV's)

Did those FZR250's come in a few different versions? I remember reading pommy mags in the very early nineties about the 400cc versions and the FZR was available in FZ400, FZR400, FZR400R, FZR400RR and FZR400RR-SP - going from basic steel frame/swingarm, one front disc, r/w up forks, old style fairing with twin headlights with the FZ400 through to alloy frame/swingarm, close ratio gearbox, single seat, twin disc front end, USD forks, square headlight on the RR-SP.

Comment

Yeah I thought that when he mentioned EXUP he meant it was a 2 smoke. Still the K's on that bike would not get me spending 4K. Then again CBR250's seem to fetch high prices too. I'd be more looking at a cheap 250 and then go for the big bike.

...this is a bit off topic but is/was the KR1-S a reasonable bike? Before I spoke to the guy at work I had never heard of them, only RGV's and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by reddog@Jan 19 2006, 06:31 PM
                            Yeah I thought that when he mentioned EXUP he meant it was a 2 smoke. Still the K's on that bike would not get me spending 4K. Then again CBR250's seem to fetch high prices too. I'd be more looking at a cheap 250 and then go for the big bike.

...this is a bit off topic but is/was the KR1-S a reasonable bike? Before I spoke to the guy at work I had never heard of them, only RGV's and the like.
                            [snapback]216966[/snapback]

from what I have read, the KR1-S was a weapon... Fast as fuck but then they kind of died in the arse like all strokers unfortunately... or fortunately, depending on your POV!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X