This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 man lanespliiting education machine

I've decided to educate the masses by lane splitting safely everywhere I go. Normally I would assess the situation and work out whether lanesplitting is beneficial in the situation I am in, but now I’ve decided to do it at every safe opportunity. Given the poor public perception of the risks and legality of the practice I have decided that the only way drivers are going to get used to it is if I do it more often, (i.e. all the time). I do make sure it is safe and will cause no "conflict" with cars (that’s the defn Macka gave me when I asked him for the specific laws), and never cross an unbroken white line, indicate when changing lanes and don't overtake on the left of a moving vehicle. So if anyone sees an MV Agusta lanesplitting pointlessly give me a wave

I also would like to get some TV exposure, so I wrote to Tolley Challis from Drivetime TV who was very helpful in the past (do they still have a show?). I'm also considering emailing Shannon’s and asks if they want to do a public service announcement on their ads, which should also reduce their payouts.

Originally posted by my email
    Hi Tolley,

It’s Dr Evil, you helped me out a year ago or so by informing the public of the Bike Bandit alarm system.

I was emailing you to see if it's at all possible to fit a road safety thing on your show. I've spent some years researching motorcycle safety with my uni course and have been surprised with the lack of interest shown by the appropriate government bodies in regards to motorcycle safety. One particularly troublesome issue is the misinformation handed out about the practice of "lanesplitting", when a motorcycle passes between 2 cars in adjacent lanes travelling in the same direction. The practice is completely legal in most states though some basic rules have to be followed. The real problem with the practice is that it can cause some animosity from other road users. This animosity stems from a misunderstanding of the legality of the practice and the misconception that it is dangerous. There has been some research into the safety of lanesplitting and there has not been one documented accident that I can find that has been caused by lanesplitting, there has been research that shows that 3.2% of motorcyclist fatalities are caused by rear ending accidents at traffic lights, which could potentially be reduced or eliminated by a better public understanding of lanesplitting.

Now from personal experience the worst public opinions are from the rev heads, people motorcyclists usually hold with great respect as they usually pay attention on the road, but they think we lane split just to get to the top of the grid. Motorcyclists tend to be killed by people paying little attention on the road, they are the people we try to avoid by lanesplitting. Given your programs audience I think some exposure would go a long way to reducing the animosity.

There has been many reports suggesting that the govt run some motorcycle safety campaigns but the govt either ignores the suggestions completely (as in WA) or do campaigns that are good but not addressing some issues that the govt would like to go away (i.e. lanesplitting and some others).

If you do have a small slot on your programme in the future for such a message, it would be greatly appreciated by all of the motorcycling community.

Thanks again

Dr Evil
    <div align="center">
    "Yes, so we will return to racing - but we must win. You can’t be second with MV. It’s impossible to be second with MV Agusta."Castiglioni</div>

Bravo Doctor, i will join you in your jihad and even lane split in my comode ss on the odd day when i take it to work. This will give the GP (Geriatric Public) an idea of what unsafe lane splitting is so we can show them safe LS on the bike and unsafe LS in the car, now where did i leave my crowny?
    I am the old bloke on the black and yellow cbr1krr

Comment

Craig,

I hope Tolley knows you well enough to realise that your &#39;signature - Dr Evil&#39; has no resemblance of the safety issue you are trying to push!

I can just see it now...Tolley staring into the camera, extolling the virtues and safety of lanesplitting, then crossing for a rider&#39;s view..."and we spoke with Dr Evil. Doc...what do you have to say on this....?" :o roflmao...if it wasn&#39;t so serious a topic.

But seriously, great letter, and Tolley, Ross Dunkerton and other respected motoring identities are the people &#39;we&#39; need to help push the message.

Steve
      Originally posted by Viper
      I'm probably fucking something up.
      FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
      Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by FJ Steve@Jan 22 2006, 03:38 PM
        Craig,

I hope Tolley knows you well enough to realise that your &#39;signature - Dr Evil&#39; has no resemblance of the safety issue you are trying to push!
        Fear not, i put my real name in the email i sent him.
        <div align="center">
        "Yes, so we will return to racing - but we must win. You can’t be second with MV. It’s impossible to be second with MV Agusta."Castiglioni</div>

Comment

dr evil, i also fully support your cause, and will lane "filter" at every possible opportunity. just like i already do. safely. and slowly. with a quiet exhaust so as to not scare anyone

ps- you may have used your real name in your email to tolley, but did you include the picture of you with your pinky extended to your mouth, mr bigglesworth sitting on your lap?
          "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

Originally posted by chief wiggum@Jan 22 2006, 09:42 PM
            dr evil, i also fully support your cause, and will lane "filter" at every possible opportunity. just like i already do. safely. and slowly. with a quiet exhaust so as to not scare anyone

ps- you may have used your real name in your email to tolley, but did you include the picture of you with your pinky extended to your mouth, mr bigglesworth sitting on your lap?
            [snapback]218136[/snapback]

Sadly I ate Mr Bigglesworth
            <div align="center">

Comment

Just read about a "Ride to Rule - Congestion Awareness Ride" to be held in Victoria by the MRAA there. Basically they are going to ride from a freeway on ramp during Peakhour on the Wednesday afternoon before Australia day. Hopefully causing as much chaos as possible for car drivers.

Here&#39;s a copy of the information posted on their MRAA forum
              To demonstrate the impact that making Lane Splitting explicitly Illegal and a ban more easily enforceable, as a result of the NTC&#39;s proposed amendments to the current legislation the MRAA will conduct a

Ride to Rule - Congestion Awareness Ride

on Wednesday 25th January. The purpose of this Awareness Ride will be to demonstrate just how much extra congestion will be created if Lane Splitting is not legalised.
              During this ride, riders will proceed at normal traffic speeds but will explicitly ride in a manner that the proposed rules require.
              I wonder if the MRAWA are going to plan something aswell. I&#39;d support that, if they wouldn&#39;t I may just organise one myself, after I get my bike back of course, or I steal my wife&#39;s scooter..

Shadow Keeper
              2000 ZZR1100

Comment

I was sent this

w w w . m r a a . o r g . a u
                Scooters, Cruisers, Harleys and anything
                else on two wheels !
                We intend to show the state government
                the effects of their plans to make
                lane splitting/filtering illegal
                by riding to the CBD using the same space
                on the freeways that cars use !
                Wed 25th Jan, Meet at the corner of
                Springvale rd and Eastern Freeway
                (Mel 48 F5) from 7am, riding at 8am.
                w w w . m r a a . o r g . a u

we should look at the MRAWA site to find out more

It looked a whole lot better when it was sent. I thought we should just get 100 of us to lanesplit safely up and down the freeway one day handing out "it&#39;s legal" fliers to everyone who had their windows open. I&#39;ll look on the MRAWA now.
                <div align="center">

Comment

Can&#39;t see anything about an organised ride, some things don&#39;t even look like they have been p dated for a few years.

Shadow Keeper
                  2000 ZZR1100

Comment

Sounds good, apart from the fliers actually flying at 100kph down the freeway
                    Perhaps doing this in stationary traffic on the way to work in the mornings to one or two cars at each intersection for a week?

Comment

Yup MRAWA got squat on their site. Anyone keen for wed morning? I&#39;m free till about 8.30. Only hand fliers from pillions that see open windows on stationary traffic.
                      <div align="center">

Comment

No bike

And I&#39;m not pillioning on a "big bike" after the last time...

Comment

A &#39;protest&#39; ride conjures memories of the MRAWA Awareness ride late last year. Not only did it stir up the natives, but it got the cops pretty pissed as well. I don&#39;t think you would have to try very hard to get any type of reaction.

Pity I am not flying home until.....HEY, when will there be a spare seat on that bloody aircraft? Damn.

Steve
                          Originally posted by Viper
                          I'm probably fucking something up.
                          FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
                          Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Jonchilds@Jan 23 2006, 12:08 AM
                            Sounds good, apart from the fliers actually flying at 100kph down the freeway
                            Perhaps doing this in stationary traffic on the way to work in the mornings to one or two cars at each intersection for a week?
                            [snapback]218185[/snapback]
                            MMMM.... That&#39;s what I&#39;m thinking, little hard to hand fliers out...
                            How about targeting a few major intersections doing flier hand-outs on foot as well as having say 10 bikes doing laps and coming back though the same intersection consistently lane filtering. Get a lot more exposure.....

Comment

There is some really good suggestions here and what you are all doing is awsome, educate drivers about lane splitting. Im up for what eva goes down I will hand out flyers or ride to raise awareness what eva .

Comment

Working...
                              X