Lanesplitting protesty thing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lanesplitting protesty thing

The MRAA are organising a protest ride in Vic, the original flier looked so much better than this, but that’s what it turned into when I pressed paste.

w w w . m r a a . o r g . a u
    Scooters, Cruisers, Harleys and anything
    else on two wheels !
    We intend to show the state government
    the effects of their plans to make
    lane splitting/filtering illegal
    by riding to the CBD using the same space
    on the freeways that cars use !
    Wed 25th Jan, Meet at the corner of
    Springvale rd and Eastern Freeway
    (Mel 48 F5) from 7am, riding at 8am.
    w w w . m r a a . o r g . a u

Riding to Melbourne will be a bit much for most of us (my seat is only good for 150km before my prostate has had it). So do we want to do something here? As we will undoubtedly have less peeps than Vic I thought just a congo line of bikes splitting up and down the freeway through stationary or near stationary traffic handing out "it's legal (and safe*)" fliers may help. I'm happy to go pointman for the venture, though the MV is not great for distance it's a lanesplitting machine. I'm free till 8.30 when the sick kiddies in freo need me.

What do you all think?

*Motorcycle Accident Cause Factors and Identification of Countermeasures, Volume 1: Technical Report, Hurt, H.H., Ouellet, J.V. and Thom, D.R., Traffic Safety Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90007, Contract No. DOT HS-5-01160, January 1981 (Final Report)
    <div align="center">
    "Yes, so we will return to racing - but we must win. You can’t be second with MV. It’s impossible to be second with MV Agusta."Castiglioni</div>

I&#39;d be keen, not sure if trying to hand out flyers while going up the middle is a good idea, but I&#39;d be keen on some kind of protest. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

For this to be effefctive, you really need a large number of bikes and some media coverage. Maybe plan it with plenty of notice and try to get other clubs involved.

I&#39;d need two weeks notice to be able to get time off work though.

Comment

I&#39;d be in that doc, not sure about flyers but maybe something attached on the back of our jackets as we cruise slowly past.

Those living north could start at Joondalup and ride down the freeway to town (Convention centre?)
      I am the old bloke on the black and yellow cbr1krr

Comment

I in, and I know a few mates that will come along
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=632053019

Comment

I&#39;ll be in it. Just give me some notice so I can get time off.

bman.
          Reporting LIVE from Scotland!

Comment

im in too but will need notice for time of work
            Morning would be the best time to do it so people are late for work
            Remember time is something that we dont have so it will have to be organised fairly soon but with as much impact as posible.

Comment

IM so there just name the date and the place. I will bringa few boys along aswell.

Comment

Given we wont have 500 peeps show up our 10-20 would look damn stupid pretending we were holding up traffic. As is said in the other post that has turned remarkably similar to this one, I don&#39;t think pissing cagers/cops off is going to help the cause. Thats why i thought splitting up and down, showing them how well 10-20 bikes don&#39;t hold the traffic up. Especially if we passed the same person sitting in traffic 2 or 3 times. I do like the writing on the jacket thing, and it seems my fliers have been poo pooed.

So when are yall up for it?

(not the 8th cause i&#39;m getting my valve clearances done that day)
                <div align="center">
                "Yes, so we will return to racing - but we must win. You can’t be second with MV. It’s impossible to be second with MV Agusta."Castiglioni</div>

Comment

I&#39;m in providing I can get some of the morning off work, oh and if my bike is repaired by then. wouldn&#39;t look too good filtering through traffic with one side of the bike all scratched up now would it.. If we try to set a date we could cross post it to a couple of lists like W@R, I&#39;m sure some of them would be in it....

Shadow Keeper
                  2000 ZZR1100

Comment

yeah im in for sure, just lettuce know where and when and ill get the time off work
                    id bring my mates but i dont have any
                    ODB&#39;s Car

Comment

if you are really going to do this... please be really really careful... because peak hour people really don&#39;t watch for bikes splitting... let alone 10/20 or 500 bikes... last thing i want to read here is XXXXX has been knocked off his bike while lane splitting to try get awareness... i don&#39;t really think its a good idea...

how often do you guys go over the white line when you lane split currently? as soon as you do its illegal... but... MOST or SOME coppers turn a blind eye... imagine the negitive vs positive publicity...

not trying to dampen the mood fellas but its dangerous enough as it is... let alone a line of bikes...
                      tba.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jono@Jan 23 2006, 09:16 PM
                        if you are really going to do this... please be really really careful... because peak hour people really don&#39;t watch for bikes splitting... let alone 10/20 or 500 bikes...
                        [snapback]218590[/snapback]
                        I thought we were going to NOT lane split in this exercise so that they see that it make sence for us to lane spilt, otherwise they get stuck behind bikes single file 2 second gap etc etc ? or have I got it wrong???

Anyway will be in it when you&#39;ve got all the details sorted
                        If you&#39;ve put yourself in a position where someone has to see you in order for you to be safe -- to see you, and to give a fuck -- you&#39;ve already blown it." -- Neal Stephenson,

Comment

Good point Jono,
                          And if someone were to get knocked off it would highlight why the law has been put in place and would defeat the purpose.

Just get 500 bikes to congest the freeway and make everyone late for work, that&#39;ll fuk em even if it is non productive, good for a laugh and one to tell the grand kids.
                          ODB&#39;s Car

Comment

how often do you guys go over the white line when you lane split currently? as soon as you do its illegal... but... MOST or SOME coppers turn a blind eye...
                            Very rarely but when I do I indicate, which according to a police head honcho on a radio program a few years back said after a female caller rang in to ask if lane splitting was illegal. Lane splitting was legal as long as when the bike crossed the line it indicated.

I try to sit on the left hand side of the right most lane because less cars merge into it, the cars in the right lane are scared of comming too close to the cars in the centre lane, as are the cars in the centre lane scared of cars on both sides, and the cars in the left lane keep trying to merge onto the freeway or into the centre lane.... does this make sense??

I also try, when I am riding through traffic to hold the road position so I can see the car driver in front of me through his passenger side mirror and rear veiw mirror, and I can also see the driver of the car to the left and front of me through his drivers side mirror and rear veiw mirror, at least that gives you some chance that he may see you, unless his brain doesn&#39;t even register what a motorcyclist looks like.. I&#39;ve only had problems with cars try to block me after Motorcycle related stories happen on the likes of Today Tonight or speeding motorcycles articles in The West Australian. I&#39;ve only touched a couple of mirrors with the bike mirrors.

If we do this ride we should probably do what our Victorian counterparts are doing and riding to the letter of the law. Although filtering through the traffic would make a bigger impact by making our presence noticed by more people because if we did ride to the letter of the law then only ten or fifteen cars would notice. Maybe we filter through a heap of traffic and stop under an overpass, have a couple of people run up with a banner saying something like "Imagine what your journey would be like if we were stopped like you?". Just a suggestion....

Shadow Keeper
                            2000 ZZR1100

Comment

Let me know when your doing the ride cause I will be in for it for shaw. If its going to make my drive down the freeway every morning safer cause there actually looking out for me then I am keen as.

Skip

Comment

Working...
                              X