Power commander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power commander

After having big bore two strokes and falling for the instant thunder that they provided.......then moving onto my daytona 955i i do miss just that little bit extra, then again don't we all.
    I am looking at putting a power commander and air filter on the girl, it already has the Roo racing pipe.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

What would you like to know ?

Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

How much$
      How much more power they deliver?
      Instaling??

Comment

Give Russel a call at Dyno time he will set it up on the Dyno and give you an idea of extra HP.

PC should smoothe out the powerband and add a little on to the top.

You can also get them off ebay a lot cheaper, installing is not too hard and there should be plenty of maps on the net.
        I am the old bloke on the black and yellow cbr1krr

Comment

You can get a powercommander in Aus for about $550 for most bikes.
          You should be able to get one from America for about $380 -$400 delivered....speak to 05R1boy on the forum.

Read up on them here
          http://www.powercommander.com/

For an airfilter, try K&N, BMC or DNA....they may or may not give a better air flow than standard.

Once you have your air filter and PCIII, get it dyno tuned as above, or there is a Harley shop in Osborne Park that has the proper Tuning Link software set up specifically for the PCIII's.

You probably will not get that much extra horsepower, but will have better fueling and less snatchiness.

Personally, I think it is a lot of expense for not that much gain, but it is still nice to have.

EDIT: Have you thought about dropping 1 tooth on the front sprocket...cheapest bang for buck mod you can do.

Comment

Topend, I got your PM , but its more suitable to reply here , as others asking the same Q may get a answer they look for.

The PC3USB is a great little computer, and it will certainly make a diff. I found on the SP that the biggest factor was the accelerator pump feature... it livens it up , its a bit fiddely to setup but otherwise it works great.

A dyno will get you ballpark , but if you run ram air, it will not be corrected , and the bike will be leaner up top than your target A/F ratio on a dyno. Also, if you have somethign like Hondas PAIR valve system and its not disabled , it will throw the A/F ratio readings bigtime.

Comment

Have you thought about dropping 1 tooth on the front sprocket...cheapest bang for buck mod you can do.
              Just be wary of chain/swingarm clearances, sometimes you'll find that the chain will rest on the chain guide attached to the swing arm, eating through it rather quickly causing to then munch through your precious swingarm. Also I think the rotational forces on the output shaft would increase, but probably by very little.
              I've found that going up two teeth on the rear is better, also shortens the wheel base for quicker steering. That's just my opinion though.....

Shadow Keeper
              2000 ZZR1100

Comment

Originally posted by Topend@Jan 23 2006, 02:21 PM
                How much$
                How much more power they deliver?
                Instaling??
                [snapback]218398[/snapback]
                There's a misconception that a lot of people have that wacking on a Power Commander will instantly give you bulk more power. This isn't the case, a Power Commander just lets you control the fuelling much more precisely than over the standard ECU. The power increase normally comes about as a result of setting up the fuelling properly by spending a reasonable amount of time on a dyno. And as CB Boy said, you probably won't get much of an increase. Russ from DynoTime refers to them as "just a box of jets", meaning that using one is like changing the jets in a carburettor.

Having said that, if you are planning on changing stuff on your bike like exhaust and air filter, you'd be well placed in fitting a Power Commander and getting it setup properly as the standard ECU is unlikely to be able to account for such changes. Power Commanders really come into their own when being used on a bike that's had some modifications done. Your best speaking to someone like Russ to get a proper explanation and an idea of what it's likely to cost to install and setup properly. Hope this helps.
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Comment

[Thankyou to all......will take into thought.
                  Cheers

Comment

i have only just replaced the front sprocket in my bike for one a tooth smaller.. the accelleration is instantly noticable.. as for the wear issue... as long as you dont go too stupid it should be alright.

Dreaded Ex-Harley Rider.. but the new one turns, and stops, and goes, and........

Comment

am getting mine set-up on friday. will let you know if i can tell any difference then. won't let you know too much as i've lost 7 demerit points in the last 4 months and only have one left i might be able to tell you a bit more after the track day

as for sprockets, changing them is the best bang for your buck you can get. i currently have 1 down on the front but had 1 down and two up on my old bike. can't see why changing the sprocket would have an effect on chain to swingarm clearance if you adjust it to give the recommended play, but i am pretty stupid so please enlighten me

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrid@Jan 25 2006, 04:30 PM
                        can't see why changing the sprocket would have an effect on chain to swingarm clearance if you adjust it to give the recommended play, but i am pretty stupid so please enlighten me
                        [snapback]219518[/snapback]

Here is an exaggerated pic of how the chain would rub on the swingarm (or slider) if you go too small on the front sprocket.

Comment

Originally posted by CB Boy@Jan 25 2006, 04:50 PM
                          Here is an exaggerated pic of how the chain would rub on the swingarm (or slider) if you go too small on the front sprocket.

[snapback]219523[/snapback]
                          nice diagram! ok. still, my chain doesn't rub but i can see what you're getting at

Comment

Working...
                          X