1997 Honda VTR 1000F FireStorm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 Honda VTR 1000F FireStorm

Hey all - or as everyone seems to expect once I tell them my usual resting place is Texas - Howdy y'all

Just got to Perth, love the weather, the people and the trails around here (I explored them a little on 4 wheels) and decided to get a bike. Hopped around the place a little bit, and found a Fire Storm that I'm willing to plonk money down on, if I can just get over the nagging suspicion that it's a little long in the tooth. So need some help from the esteemed Perth riding community

Here're the specs:
    1997 Fire Storm
    Around 67K kilometers on it
    Test rode it, and apart from a slight pull to the right when I was trying to turn left (which the dealer chalked up to the V-twin's torque), it seemed like a dream to ride on.

Now, the questions:
    1. Any feedback on whether 67K km is high for a bike in general in this area (back in the US, a bike is usually a secondary vehicle used mainly for recreation, but it seems to be a primary means of transport as well over here)
    2. Any idea about whether the no. of Ks on a FireStorm should be a red flag? I read a post on the web that said that the engine starts to give way after around 60K km, but not sure if that was just one person having a bad experience
    3. I will be heading back to the US after 3-4 months, so will need to sell the bike at that point. Any guesses about how much I'm likely to lose on the bike? It's being quoted at $7990 right now
    4. Is the Red Book the bible for dealers here? Back States-side, there's a Blue Book that lists the dealer retail value at $6000 (AUS), but the Red Book Australia value seems to be consistent with what the dealer is asking for ($6100 - $7200 for a private party deal, I would expect a dealer to have a slight markup on that amount). Any feedback on whether I'm being taken for a ride?
    5. Anything I should be asking the dealer for that is typically provided locally? After-sales service? Free tuning? Deal on gear?

Thanks much,
    Senthil

-------------------
    Rubber side down folks

If you are only going to have it a few months mate I would personally be looking at private sales instead. You will lose to much buying from a dealer and then selling it in a short amount of time IMO.

As a comparision, my stock as a rock 98 model ZX9R cost me $7.2k privately with 52000km on the clock. Its been absolute dead realiable and as long as its been looked after high km isnt really an issue at all (Ive just passed 85 thou km on mine last week).

Not sure about firestorms specifcally though mate but theres a few people on here that have em so Im sure they will be able to help ya out.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, mate - it does give me a good idea about local buying conditions.

I agree with you - private party deal is probably the way to go for a short time, but it seems to be almost impossible to find people who are willing to part with their bikes in the middle of summer. Any idea where I can find them - google searches aren't helping much? Other issue is that I guess I'm a little picky - I want a sports touring bike, don't like the extreme ass-up riding positions, and want something in the 600-1000cc range. I've mentally chalked up a loss of $1500 - $2000 or so (and justifying it by telling myself it's still a whole lot cheaper than renting!)

----------------
      Rubber side down folks

Comment

I have a Firestorm 98-99 with 75k on it and it hasnt mised a beat....
        Ive owned it for about 5 years now (near new when i got her)....

Try ya luck with private sale to save da money

ya can pm me if ya want any more questions answered
        "Sometimes I do stupid stuff, and I don't even know why...
        it's as if my body was being controlled by some sadistic, immoral puppet-master."

Comment

If ya can stretch a little bit more cash wise something like this would be ideal...

SUZUKI Bandit 1200, 2004, still under new bike warranty, new back tyre, 26,000kms, top cond, 6 mths regn $9800. Stnvle. 9295-3426

Wouldnt lose anywhere near as much come time to sell it either because 2004 model with stuff all km. Thats actually really quite a good price.

Found it in the Quokka...
          http://www.quokka.com.au

Its just an online classifieds for WA. It also comes out in paper form every thursday.

EDIT:

This one wouldnt be to bad either. Price is definitely right...

SUZUKI TL1000S, 1999, pearl red, 39,000km $7500. Hgh Wycmbe. 0438-469-127

EDIT AGAIN:

Could always get a ZX9
          KAWASAKI ZX9, gd cond, 1999 $7750. Frstdle. 0417-173-720

Comment

Originally posted by OggiEKnoB@Jan 23 2006, 05:23 PM
            I have a Firestorm 98-99 with 75k on it and it hasnt mised a beat....
            Ive owned it for about 5 years now (near new when i got her)....
            Try ya luck with private sale to save da money

ya can pm me if ya want any more questions answered
            [snapback]218503[/snapback]
            Try Cully's M/c in Balcatta, they have a nice red one for $8000 with 30K on it.
            Good people to deal with as well.

Comment

Umm slight pull to the right when you tired to turn left. Nup somethings wrong, V twin torque only if its a Guzzi or a BM boxer should it do that and even then it doesn't usally affect the road holding. The early VTR's were known for having a piddly little fuel tank and a serious thirst, I'd have a bit more of a look around unless they are giving it away.
              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

WHS....the motor runs along the frame, not across it....That dealer is full of shit.
                Don&#39;t walk....run <_<

Comment

Originally posted by jondil@Jan 23 2006, 04:01 PM
                  Test rode it, and apart from a slight pull to the right when I was trying to turn left (which the dealer chalked up to the V-twin&#39;s torque),

What shop were you at?

sigpic

Comment

My 93 CBR900 now was 101,000km (no, that is not a typo) and she is still going strong as an ox. She doesnt burn any excess oil or blow any smoke, starts easy and gets good mileage.

Now the bike has obviously been well looked after by it&#39;s previous owners (Rob/Rebecca) and I service it every 5000km.

So what Im saying is the VTR is a honda, therefore it&#39;s well engineered and as long as it has been well looked after it is likely to get lots more km&#39;s on it yet.

My advice would be to shop around and test ride as many bikes as you can before deciding on which one is right for you. It is easy to get caught up in the thrill of buying a new bike, ride the first one and think it is the bees knees, buy it and then later find out there are better things out there on the market.

"At the start of the season, you can’t win the championship in the first round, but you can lose it.” - Travis Pastrana

"If your mind can conceive it then
                    your hands can achieve it"- Nigel Petrie (Engineeredtoslide.com)

Comment

The Bandit sounds real good... I have a Bandit 600 back in Texas, and it suits me just fine. Thanks for link! Time to run and grab the bike before someone else does ...

Originally posted by rz350@Jan 23 2006, 05:33 PM
                      If ya can stretch a little bit more cash wise something like this would be ideal...

SUZUKI Bandit 1200, 2004, still under new bike warranty, new back tyre, 26,000kms, top cond, 6 mths regn $9800. Stnvle. 9295-3426

Wouldnt lose anywhere near as much come time to sell it either because 2004 model with stuff all km. Thats actually really quite a good price.

Found it in the Quokka...
                      http://www.quokka.com.au

Its just an online classifieds for WA. It also comes out in paper form every thursday.

EDIT:

This one wouldnt be to bad either. Price is definitely right...

SUZUKI TL1000S, 1999, pearl red, 39,000km $7500. Hgh Wycmbe. 0438-469-127

EDIT AGAIN:

Could always get a ZX9* *
                      KAWASAKI ZX9, gd cond, 1999 $7750. Frstdle. 0417-173-720
                      [snapback]218508[/snapback]

Comment

Causeway Duke/KTM. Do you have any previous experience dealing with them?

Originally posted by dugy@Jan 23 2006, 06:17 PM

What shop were you at?
                        [snapback]218529[/snapback]

Comment

Can&#39;t comment on that particular bike obviously (though the pull to the left sounds dodgy), but my 97 VFR has never given me any worries at all, might be another sports touring option for about the same price.

As for dealers I&#39;d recommend Mack 1 in Midland, talk to Chris and you know you&#39;ll get an honest deal.
                          <span style="font-family:Trebuchet Ms">E hoa ka whawhai tonu matou ake ake ake</span>

Comment

I have a 99 with 55,000 on the clock, there is NO PULL when i ride left/right either way. 67 thousand is not long in the tooth for that engine but it IS long in the tooth for the cam chain tensioners, they need to be replaced. The price is ... higher than i expect for a bike of that age/km&#39;s as i have seen an 01 go for 8.5k and thats a lot newer/lower km&#39;s. PM Oggie with any questions he is the man.

Comment

Originally posted by jondil@Jan 24 2006, 11:58 AM
                              Causeway Duke/KTM. Do you have any previous experience dealing with them?
                              [snapback]218822[/snapback]
                              Yes, don&#39;t bother there are plenty better bike shops out there. There was a thread rate the shops might be worth looking at.
                              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Working...
                              X