New Bike Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bike Advice

I've found a bike that i think might be good for me to get and i thought i'd ask those with the knowledge of owning more than one bike in their lifetime!!!

A 2003 KAWI ZX6RR with 2700miles for $5999US (asking price in shop)
    He tells me it's never been used for racing and appears to not of been dropped...

What should i be checking? and does this seem reasonable?

thanks people

ABS

Originally posted by ABS@Jan 25 2006, 12:39 PM
    I've found a bike that i think might be good for me to get and i thought i'd ask those with the knowledge of owning more than one bike in their lifetime!!!

A 2003 KAWI ZX6RR with 2700miles for $5999US (asking price in shop)
    He tells me it's never been used for racing and appears to not of been dropped...

What should i be checking? and does this seem reasonable?

thanks people

ABS
    [snapback]219422[/snapback]
    The ZX6RR is a "race" bike and usually when it has low milage like this one it prob was a track bike, but that is not a bad thing.

Seems like a good price too.

Is it in a good condition?

Comment

sales people can "say" anything so i'd always take what i told with a grain of salt but the story goes some kid bought it but had it reposessed by the bank and an older guy bought it at auction and decided it was too much for him so traded it to the shop...

As far as cosmetics goes, yeah, its in good shape but being the limited mechanics knowledge i have and riding knowledge i'm not sure how much i can investigate beyond the paint job and service history.

Comment

miles

us$

where is it ????

NAGA JOLOKIA CHILLI
        1,041,427 SHU
        go on you know ya wanna try one!

Comment

Mike is currently in the US of A.

Comment

4344 kilometres
            $7974 Auzzie mullas

is there much difference wise anyone can personally speak on from the ZX6R to the ZX6RR???

Comment

hot susp
              hot brakes
              smaller capacity

you tell em saf

NAGA JOLOKIA CHILLI
              1,041,427 SHU
              go on you know ya wanna try one!

Comment

Originally posted by ABS@Jan 25 2006, 12:39 PM

What should i be checking?
                [snapback]219422[/snapback]
                Does it have stock or aftermarket ...

- Bar ends
                - Clip ons
                - Levers
                - Pegs and or rear sets

These straight away give idea if it was layed over. Its commonly more expensive to replace these as OEM as it is in aftermarket, hence why they get replaced with these.

Feel engine cases , clutch covers and so on , UNDER the fairings, where you cannot see damage. Look for stress factures, cracks and crakced paint around the highest load points on the frame ... head set , swing arm pivot points etc.

Check the clear window on the clutch cover , to see how dirty the oil is.

Check how dirty the brake fluids are , if they are clear as water, chances are its been raced , as they allways change fluid each ride. Street users dismiss brake fluid as a cosmetic item that is meant to turn black.

Check for little blue spots on the rotors (hot spots) , and how much meat is on the pads when you look past the fork and towards the caliper.

Also , when its been sitting over night , as it starts up , see if it "choofs" a puff of smoke. This could be valve stem seal issues , or as high as rings or cracked ring lands. Another sign of high abuse.

Good luck with it.

Comment

also check for drilled sump plugs etc. if you're worried about it being a race bike

do you even know how much they are new over there? if you're buying a bike for the road then (i've been told) the standard zx-6r is a better bike. if you're buying it for posing or racing then go the zx-6rr

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrid@Jan 25 2006, 04:22 PM
                    also check for drilled sump plugs etc. if you're worried about it being a race bike

do you even know how much they are new over there? if you're buying a bike for the road then (i've been told) the standard zx-6r is a better bike. if you're buying it for posing or racing then go the zx-6rr
                    [snapback]219514[/snapback]
                    Have to agree with Jarrid, " First Time For Everything", The Zx6R is the better road option. However the ZX600RR seems to be readly available in the USA for anyone to buy, not like here in Aust where only a small number come into the country each year. About 30 or so. The Zx6r is cheaper as well. It would be easy to see if it's been raced as all the above has been covered and also look at the rear swing arm which gets scratched easy from numerous tyre changes. Any piccies.

Comment

thanks to those who offered help,

I checked most of what i could from saf's and others tips and found nothing cracked, worn, looking rough.. the brake fluid is a little murky and nothing else indicated raced or abused. It started very well with no throttle into a very controlled hum...
                      it has a scorpion pipe on it ( steel looking.. i prefer the carbon looking but hey!) and a screen that's metalic green. Pillion seat and standard screen come with..

If i buy this ( should I?? ) am i going to be able to have the digital taco changed into KM/H and KILOMETRES travelled If i brought it over to auz eventually or am i gonna have to sell it???

thanks all

Comment

no photo's of it but it looks pretty much exactly like

http://jarle.eltelevest.no/Kawasaki/Images...X6rr03right.jpg

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/270883/

Comment

The newer kawasaki speedos (in Aus anyway) support mph and kph. You press a few buttons and presto you can change from one to the other. Not sure if this changes the odometer from miles to kilometres as well.

Some of our kawasaki owners on the forum would be able to clarify if this is avail on the model your looking at.

Comment

You can change the readouts on the dash to kilometers easily on the '03-'06 model ZX-6R/RR's.

The ZX-6RR also has an adjustable swingarm pivot, which is great - if you know how to use it and how it affects handling... <_<

There are a lot of ZX-6RRs in the USA which were bought as roadbikes and never raced.

Comment

Looks mint and is different, and honestly (no offense) i could see many american buyers going "An extra R? That means its TWICE AS GOOD $$$$" Still rare bike in these parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X