No announcement yet.

The English can do some things right...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The English can do some things right...

Greetings from the lovely city of Brighton fellow PSBers. It's 2 degrees out and before I visit the Walkabout pub for an Australia day celebration I thought I'd relay some details of motorcycle usage in the UK.

The Bike Buffer Zone:
    In London most traffic lights have a small buffer zone just before the white line, it usually has a picture of a bike marked inside it's borders. Believe it or not this area seems to be explicitly for allowing bikes to get to the head of traffic, after splitting or overtaking.

Splitting:
    Splitting seems actively encouraged here, I've seen police officers do it and drivers are very courteous and will move out of your way to give your more room.

Courtesy:
    The kindness of drivers here is amazing, not having driven here often I often found myself in a tight spot in the wrong lane. In Perth if the same thing happened I'd indicate to change lanes then either aggressively move over, or wait till all the traffic has gone through to make a lane change.

Here if you indicate to change lanes - drivers will stop to let you through, and often flash their lights to let you know it's safe to go. This is the rule rather than the exception.

Pace:
    Given how bad traffic is here it's understandable people don't want to spend longer than they have to in their cars. If you're not used to quick driving you might want to give it a skip, people are always paying attention taking off quickly at the lights, no messing around at roundabouts, not much room left for error. But the people are so alert and the cars are quite decent so it all works well.

Speeding:
    After driving 600miles I could count the number of speed signs I saw on one hand. They don't generally care too much about speeding here. 90mph is the average speed on the motorways and you will get passed at that speed. Drivers never sit in the right lane, they always keep left - ALWAYS!

They seem to have a more lax attitude to enforcing traffic laws here and less signs and regulations, yet with a heavier population and more traffic it works a whole lot better than sleepy old Perth. Perhaps the excess of laws we withstand in our favorite nanny state are stifling good traffic behaviour?
    http://www.internetblackout.com.au/

shhh, if the rabble in perth hear about this, they might want the same things. of course, all the policing is only to save us from ourselves. and the way people have been killing themselves on the roads this year, the policing is only going to get worse
    still, i'm jealous (not of the cold though)
    "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

Originally posted by azathoth@Jan 26 2006, 11:52 PM
      The Bike Buffer Zone:
      In London most traffic lights have a small buffer zone just before the white line, it usually has a picture of a bike marked inside it's borders. Believe it or not this area seems to be explicitly for allowing bikes to get to the head of traffic, after splitting or overtaking.

[snapback]219874[/snapback]
      What a bloody great concept.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

hey man

get this it basically the same in itally as well

come to think of it i dont even remember seeing a speed sign when i was there....
        RIP Scott!
        RIP Onikage!
        RIP ODDZ!

Comment

I noticed similar things recently, the layed back nature of Auzzies is replaced with fast paced attentive road users... Especially as azathoth said, courtesy and pace..

"OFF TOPIC"
          My World Order rating

1. England, London
          2. Perth
          3. USA
          4. Caribbean Islands
          5. Anywhere else ( i'm guessing)
          6. Acapulco, Mexico

As much as i love riding a bike i WOULD NOT in the eastern Caribbean or Mexico... absolutely crazy for anyone that's been there and been in a cab you'll know that lanes are not used and they're all treated as a racetrack that anyone can freely swing from side to side to pass anyone they want. ( Maybe some of you would enjoy that?)

Comment

Mate you have been lucky, wait till you have been there for a few years!!!
            On the speed, yes there is a little ley way we used to work on 10% plus 2 miles per hour over the limit, splitting is ok but dont think everyone is courtious in London you will DIE.

Comment

I think they are all good observations, because it is many of the same things in reverse that infuriate me after coming here.

Oh, and if you enjoyed driving in London, go over to Paris for a weekend. The whole place is like a massive dodgum (bumper car) ride. It&#39;s great fun in a hire car (or a car with UK plates <_< ). Don&#39;t cut up lane splitting bikes on the peripheric though as you WILL lose a mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by azathoth@Jan 26 2006, 11:52 PM
                Drivers never sit in the right lane, they always keep left - ALWAYS!
                Some people go to Europe for the sights ..... i go there so i can finally be free of ass___es who dont know what lane they should be in !!! . Lovely concept isnt it ? ..... you dont underpass , and you keep left unless you need to pass.

Comment

Then for the brave - try riding in Spain or Portugal where the locals in hot hatchs will give you a flash of the lights & a blast of the airhorn before dropping in front of you on a mountain road with no barriers.

One thing though - they are predicatable

England is very courteous to motorbikes - I agree

Cheers Warpie
                  Honda is No 1
                  <div align="center"></div> <div align="center">CHEERS BAR</div>

Comment

Originally posted by azathoth+Jan 26 2006, 11:52 PM-->
                    The Bike Buffer Zone:
                    In London most traffic lights have a small buffer zone just before the white line, it usually has a picture of a bike marked inside it&#39;s borders. Believe it or not this area seems to be explicitly for allowing bikes to get to the head of traffic, after splitting or overtaking.

Courtesy:
                    The kindness of drivers here is amazing, not having driven here often I often found myself in a tight spot in the wrong lane. In Perth if the same thing happened I&#39;d indicate to change lanes then either aggressively move over, or wait till all the traffic has gone through to make a lane change.

Pace:
                    Given how bad traffic is here it&#39;s understandable people don&#39;t want to spend longer than they have to in their cars. If you&#39;re not used to quick driving you might want to give it a skip, people are always paying attention taking off quickly at the lights, no messing around at roundabouts, not much room left for error. But the people are so alert and the cars are quite decent so it all works well.
                    [/b]
                    The buffer zone is brilliant. Although I didn&#39;t really notice a lot of commuter motorbikes, bicycles and bloody couriers on postie bikes were everywhere.
                    (I&#39;ve attached an image from GoogleEarth that demonstrates the buffer zone)

They are painted green as are dedicated cycle lanes so they are very distinguishable.

<!--QuoteBegin-steve157
                    @Jan 27 2006, 08:44 AM
                    Mate you have been lucky, wait till you have been there for a few years!!!
                    On the speed, yes there is a little ley way we used to work on 10% plus 2 miles per hour over the limit, splitting is ok but dont think everyone is courtious in London you will DIE.
                    [snapback]219922[/snapback]
                    WYS. I drove for a number of years in the UK and found that what they made up for in courtesy, they lacked in talent. Trouble is, they knew people would help get them out of a tight spot, and couldn&#39;t do much about it without assistance...

PACE is also a contentious point with me. I drove trucks while I was there (lorrys for you brits), and the amount of times I stopped to let someone in... and they did not notice that a bright red 17t truck was holding up traffic for them dumbfounded me. Mind you, this was mostly down Kings Road where the scenery (female) could easily put anyone off their driving - dayem. Good times

Comment

Originally posted by Warp Speed@Jan 27 2006, 09:31 AM

England is very courteous to motorbikes - I agree

Cheers Warpie
                      [snapback]219933[/snapback]
                      makes up for the two days a year when you can actually ride eh?
                      Originally posted by vk6hgr
                      My Hyosung couldn't do that speed if it was dropped in from orbit.

Comment

Originally posted by azathoth@Jan 26 2006, 10:52 PM
                        Greetings from the lovely city of Brighton fellow PSBers. It&#39;s 2 degrees out and before I visit the Walkabout pub for an Australia day celebration I thought I&#39;d relay some details of motorcycle usage in the UK.

Ah yes, the Brighton Walkie. They stick a didgeridoo to the wall and put Fosters on tap and call it an Australian pub

Comment

Originally posted by Scoundrel@Jan 27 2006, 10:30 AM
                          Ah yes, the Brighton Walkie. They stick a didgeridoo to the wall and put Fosters on tap and call it an Australian pub
                          [snapback]219946[/snapback]
                          Most annoying question when overseas... "Oh, Auzzie hey, so.... do you drink fosters?

Comment

Hey the Foster&#39;s here actually isn&#39;t too bad!

Speaking of locations to not ride a bike in: Sofia in Bulgaria. The drivers are psychotic, the roads are covered in potholes that resemble open cut mines and they&#39;re covered in slippery black ice.
                            http://www.internetblackout.com.au/

Comment

Try riding a motor bike in the heart of Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)... Now thats hard work, although the flow is quite good, still scarey though. Or even worse, the Road from HCM to Vung Tau... Those that have been there will know, not the best place to be on a bike.
                              Sponsored by:
                              Coote Industrial, Comleck- electrical,
                              Motorcycle Panel and Paint, Milkd

Comment

Working...
                              X