This is injustice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is injustice

Hope it's not a repost, but this really shit me.

http://www.manlydaily.com.au/common/story_...5E15721,00.html

Thomas Richard Ramsay, 65, pleaded guilty in Manly Court last Wednesday to negligent driving occasioning grievous bodily harm to Mr Cooley but he walked free without conviction or fine.
    Oh Come on... this is bullshit!!, who cares if hes bloody 65 years old, throw him in jail for the rest of his life (which would probably be in about 2 yrs neway)

Comment

There's got to be more to this, this can't possibly be the end of the story.

Surely the old man will have to get pwned
      Whoever is unjust, let him be unjust still

Whoever is righteous, let him be righteous still

Whoever is filthy... let him be filthy still

Comment

Don't jump to conclusions straight away.. notice that the article says absolutely nothing about -why- the court thought it was ok not to record a conviction or fine the driver. There would be a reason.

I'd say hes probably 'pwned' by guilt/remorse, and because of it his life is probably over too, even if he didnt sustain a physical injury. Mentally, hes probably fucked.
        You cant mess up that which you were born to do.
        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Comment

But magistrate Andrew George said last week Mr Ramsay had been punished enough.

He found the offence proven but said it would be dismissed with no conviction recorded and no court costs to be paid.
          What was his punishment exactly? The fact that he has to live with the memory of the accident? well boo fuckin hooo, the victims family and friends will have to suffer more emotionally and psychologically than the driver ever will. Stick him in a coma for a few months, give him permanent brain damage (and other numerous disabilities), take all his memories and a few years of his life then I think maybe he will be getting close to something called punishment.

Age nor negligence are factors here, stupidity is.

Do the crime (yes, this is a crime pure and simple, the car was his weapon), do the time, an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth and all that, this would be justice IMO.

As for the Magistrate, Im wondering what the verdict would have been had it been his own son this happened to....

What worries me the most is that this guy more than likely still has a drivers licence (he didnt even lose a point FFS).....

Honestly, wtf is wrong with this countries judicial system?

/end rant

oh, and kharma is a bitch.

"At the start of the season, you can’t win the championship in the first round, but you can lose it.” - Travis Pastrana

"If your mind can conceive it then
          your hands can achieve it"- Nigel Petrie (Engineeredtoslide.com)

Comment

Originally posted by mattis@Jan 28 2006, 04:43 PM
            What was his punishment exactly? The fact that he has to live with the memory of the accident? well boo fuckin hooo, stick him in a coma for a few months, give him permanent brain damage (and other numerous disabilities), take all his memories and a few years of his life then I think maybe he will be getting close to something called punishment.

Age nor negligence are factors here, stupidity is.

Do the crime (yes, this is a crime pure and simple, the car was his weapon), do the time, an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth and all that, this would be justice IMO.

As for the Magistrate, Im wondering what the verdict would have been had it been his own son this happened to....

What worries me the most is that this guy more than likely still has a drivers licence (he didnt even lose a point FFS).....

Honestly, wtf is wrong with this countries judicial system?

/end rant

oh, and kharma is a bitch.
            [snapback]220279[/snapback]
            Im in with you on that one Mattis... totally agree!!

Comment

so what punishment would you suggest? jail for a few years? A big fine which he could not afford to pay? to what avail?

Take his licence but other than that what would be the point of a harsher punishment given his situation?
              support honest cops, theres not many left

Comment

I've heard from many people that the cops are just fed up with crap courts - serious crimes and people walk away with a fine or something insignificant. My mother got assaulted (punched) on NYE 2004/2005 - and the thing still hasn't been to trial. Instead, the court has made her go in 4-5 times, and cancelled the restraining order because she didn't attend a hearing, after being told her attendance was not required.

And if I were to go return the favour to the guy who hit her, I'd likely end up in court within a week, a jail sentence, and ordered to repair the damage caused.

It's not that hard to see a motorcycle if you're paying attention, however many people misjudge the distance because there is only one headlight.

I feel that a ban on driving should've been the minimum he recieved.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton@Jan 28 2006, 05:00 PM
                  so what punishment would you suggest? jail for a few years? A big fine which he could not afford to pay? to what avail?

Take his licence but other than that what would be the point of a harsher punishment given his situation?
                  [snapback]220284[/snapback]
                  Considering his age, if he really is f*cked up mentally then I guess I can see why there is no further jail time etc. That said, to not take his licence off him is just frieking ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton+Jan 28 2006, 05:00 PM-->
                    so what punishment would you suggest? jail for a few years? A big fine which he could not afford to pay?
                    [/b]
                    I think you may have missed some of my previous post, here it is again:

Originally posted by mattis@Jan 28 2006, 04:43 PM
                    Stick him in a coma for a few months, give him permanent brain damage (and other numerous disabilities), take all his memories and a few years of his life then I think maybe he will be getting close to something called punishment.
                    [snapback]220279[/snapback]

to what avail?
                    Justice and some form of reconciliation for the family, friends and victim plain and simple.

<!--QuoteBegin-Anton
                    @Jan 28 2006, 05:00 PM
                    Im not sure what you mean by "his situation", he is not the one that has suffered due to this, the victim is. Did you mean he is old and has been real upset about the whole ordeal? 65 is not altogether old in this day and age, he still has a drivers licence doesnt he, and as for being upset, he should go and visit the victim and his family, then he will know what upset is.

The justice system is supposed to enforce laws to protect society, it has failed miserably here (yet again). A law has been broken, a crime committed, yet no punishment has taken place.

Sure, this might have been an accident, I get that, but someone has to be at fault for it to have occurred (accidents dont just happen, they are created), that person should be punished for their mistake, not walk off scott free. How exactly is that a deterrent exactly?

Sure the offender will have to live with the memories of the accident for the rest of his life, but what about the victim, he doesnt even have memories now, who is really being punished here?

"At the start of the season, you can’t win the championship in the first round, but you can lose it.” - Travis Pastrana

"If your mind can conceive it then
                    your hands can achieve it"- Nigel Petrie (Engineeredtoslide.com)

Comment

make an example of him. put him in jail for a bit and ban him from driving forever. make a few of those old people step back and wonder if they really are fit to be at wheel.

fuck knows if i was charged for negligent driving causing grievous bodily harm on my bike i wouldnt get away without a serious ass raping no matter how much i cried.
                      Originally posted by Friedrich Hayek
                      "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

Comment

I have nothing to say other than that sickens me. Whoever was responsible for letting that man walk free without any punishment should be spat on (amongst other things).

Comment

Originally posted by mattis@Jan 28 2006, 05:24 PM

The justice system is supposed to enforce laws to protect society, it has failed miserably here (yet again). A law has been broken, a crime committed, yet no punishment has taken place.
                          [snapback]220295[/snapback]
                          I think people underestimate just how much the memories of doing this to someone would f@#k you up, its not a regret or something to learn from its something that will cause you sleepless nights and enter your thoughts constantly.

How exactly is that a deterrent exactly?
                          A deterent from what? not being observant enough? it wasnt as if he was trying to get the rider and has said it was a bad thing and got off scott free, he didnt see the rider and the accident was extremely tragic.

I think you may have missed some of my previous post, here it is again:
                          Justice and some form of reconciliation for the family, friends and victim plain and simple.
                          I dont expect the family would like to see this old man in jail or bashed.

However I do agree it is stupid if he still has his licence <_<
                          support honest cops, theres not many left

Comment

Harden up people. All the screaming and punishing in the world wont stop people not seeing things. How many of you have stubbed your toe in your lifetime, and how many say I wouldn&#39;t do that again, and do you really think you wont? Sure the conseuences of this accident are much worse, but the cause is the same, I am sure the old bloke wasn&#39;t trying to hit him.

I have been on the receiving end of exactly this description of accident, the worst part described best by attached photo.
                            [attachmentid=1862]
                            Suffice to say I am only half as likely to ever be a dad.

The girl who cut across infront of me was in the wrong, but clearly I was not riding defensively enough to avoid her.

My first bike was a TY80 trials bike when I was 5 years old. I have been riding all my life since and am now in my mid 30&#39;s. Every time I get on a bike I accept the fate that might await me because of unobservant driver and try to ride in a fashion to avoid it.

Any rider who does not and wants to scream punishment to drivers is naive and can expect to be run over regardless of how many examples are made of the drivers. I am sure I will stub my toe again in my lifetime, I just hope I will never be unobservant enough for a rider when I am driving.

My 2c worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton@Jan 28 2006, 06:27 PM
                              ............................................I dont expect the family would like to see this old man in jail or bashed.
                              [snapback]220319[/snapback]
                              i don&#39;t think it&#39;s up to any one of us to say what the victim&#39;s family would or would not want.

Anton, all you can say is that YOU wouldn&#39;t want retribution in that position ............... but i know that, in the same position, many people [yes, me included] would feel that &#39;the justice system&#39; had cheated them and theirs and may be tempted to personally rectify that.

Justice needs not only to be done but to be SEEN to be done if we are to avoid vigilante-ism ......... mebbe the reporting is faulty but i can&#39;t see as how that has happened here.

Personally i don&#39;t believe that age, youth, gender or other such should be admissable as an excuse for antisocial behaviour .... i&#39;m rather embarrassed that the law seems to.
                              yes, i DO serve the devil - but only in an advisory capacity ...

Comment

Working...
                              X