Couple of interesting points...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of interesting points...

Browsing Office of Road Safety Publications tonight, and noticed a couple of things a little out of sorts.

-------------------------------------------------------
    2. The Office of Road Safety appears to believe that motorcyclists will not benefit directly from public education, but rather will experience benefits as an indirect result (hence the lack of bike-awareness ads).

However, "Improved Enforcement", "Lower Speeds" and "Occupant Protection" will provide direct benefits. Safer roads were also indicated as a direct benefit to riders

Motorcyclists appeared to be omitted from the check box on "Planning a Safer System", which would indicate that they're not part of the RSC's plan for the future of WA roads. They also suggested rezoning some arterial roads from 60kph to 50kph (Alexander Drive, Beaufort St anyone?)

(Arriving Safely - Road Safety Strategy for 2003-2007, Road Safety Council, Undated)
    ------------------------------------------------------

Now, a couple of things within these reports are very valid, but there are a number of things in there which aren't in keeping with what could be considered public views, and a lack of interest in creating a motorcycle friendly system. In the first point, motorcyclists are grouped together with pushbikers to form a demographic separate to that of cars - particularly on the no helmets statistics.

Their approach to drug-driving is much more lax than motorcyclists - they do not reccomend improved enforcement or public education, but rather getting a stronger cage, better roads so avoiding them is easier, and using a safer mode of travel...

I should probably do something a little more comprehensive, but my caffiene fix is wearing off. Definately worth browsing publications by the Office of Road Safety/Road Safety Council for a view on their opinions.

Originally posted by Jonchilds@Jan 29 2006, 01:13 AM
    "Reportable accident" numbers for male motorcyclists and cagers is higher in the 25-39 age bracket than for the 17-25's.
    yeh leave the P platers alone u oldies

Comment

Originally posted by Jonchilds@Jan 29 2006, 01:13 AM
      Browsing Office of Road Safety Publications tonight, and noticed a couple of things a little out of sorts.

-------------------------------------------------------
      1. "Reportable accident" numbers for male motorcyclists and cagers is higher in the 25-39 age bracket than for the 17-25's. for the years 1995-1999 (information ended at '99).* The 25-39 bracket is higher than the 17-25's for female drivers for all years 1990-1999.* The disparity between the two age groups appears to be increasing, making the 25-39 year old drivers the most dangerous (in terms of total accidents).
      [snapback]220417[/snapback]
      Heee, heee, I must be alright then, I aren't in either age bracket
      Marty 3005

Moto Guzzi Stelvio & BMW G650GS

Comment

Yeah, and for the fatalities, I got the impression that they were including passengers aged 17-25 in the statistics along with drivers... So 4 teenagers being driven by their grandfather have an accident, and they all die, the statistics suddenly reflect alot more poorly on the 17-25 group than the 40+.

But of course, this is government funded research, so the distinction between drivers and passengers doesn't need to be made if it's making young drivers look worse than old drivers (insert old/crap driver rant here.)

Comment

I think a factor contributing to this would be that lots of young kids dont have expensive cars and therefore dont have insurance... or only 3rd party.

This means they only report accidents they have with other cars and such, rather than making a claim for smashing their commodore into a tree or dropping their zzr on a gravel road and such minor incidents.

People that can afford insurance (older richer and more cheaply insured) are always going to report the accident to the police so they can get their wheels fixed.
          My other Kawasaki is an Eclectus Parrot.

Comment

This is very intresting as everytime someone metions better driver trianing for all road users the Govt and Police quickly trot out there is no research to prove that better training results in less accidents. Never mind that europe has about half the fatality rate per 100 000kms traveled they drive a lot faster in a lot worse conditions, however it costs a bucket load more to get your license eg in Norway you are looking at around 2K for a normal car license they do however teach you how to do handbrake turns on ice.

Its probally more like younger drivers genrally don't vote so its easier to kick them, I'll happly admit that road users toaday are a lot better trianed than when I got my licesnse around 12 years ago athough like most motorcyclists Ive done a few advanced riding courses since. The problem I have with simply training the younger drivers better is its going to take 40-50 years for the entire road using population to be educated thats asuuming they actually retian what they were taught over that time period. In 40 -60 years we may not be in control of indvidual vehicles and its highly likely there will be no fuel to put in them anyway.
            Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by zadok@Jan 29 2006, 06:04 AM
              Heee, heee, I must be alright then, I aren't in either age bracket
              [snapback]220427[/snapback]

You apparently didn't pass English either.... =)

Kidding, it's late I know
              "Continuous effort--not strength or intelligence--is the key to unlocking our potential." - W. Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by spun@Jan 30 2006, 02:16 AM
                You apparently didn't pass English either.... =)

Kidding, it's late I know
                [snapback]220627[/snapback]
                How did you know!?
                Marty 3005

Moto Guzzi Stelvio & BMW G650GS

Comment

Originally posted by findingnewo@Jan 29 2006, 02:24 PM
                  I think a factor contributing to this would be that lots of young kids dont have expensive cars and therefore dont have insurance... or only 3rd party.

This means they only report accidents they have with other cars and such, rather than making a claim for smashing their commodore into a tree or dropping their zzr on a gravel road and such minor incidents.

People that can afford insurance (older richer and more cheaply insured) are always going to report the accident to the police so they can get their wheels fixed.
                  [snapback]220499[/snapback]
                  good point, i'd say this would alter the statistics a bit

Comment

I think the fact that 17-25 age group covers a few less years than 25-39 age group is significant to those stats - hence theres more riders and more crashes in the second age group. The problem with stats its relatively easy to get a stat that sounds relavent but actually isnt.. just listen to the news, well, any night of the week.

2c.

Comment

Training is definately the answer..

i think there should be heaps of different sorts of courses too...

like driving with a trailer.
                      driving in out of control situations.
                      Driver awareness... yes motorbikes are aloud to use the road too... blindspot identification ect.. driving in the left lane is bad

i'm sure the list can go on and on...

but it is bullshit the way the gov want safer roads but then deny any answers that will incur a cost.
                      Dreaded Ex-Harley Rider.. but the new one turns, and stops, and goes, and........

Comment

(Road Safety Council, Analysis of Crash Statistics WA 1990 to 1999, Published Dec.2000)

Reminds you of the old saying

There are two types of lies, Damn lies and statistics! <_<

Comment

My original point wasn&#39;t that the younger motoring public were less likely to have a crash per road hour - it was that there are more crashes invloving those in the second 25-39 age group.

Of course, the 17-39 age group accounts for about 63% of all accidents in 1999.

Comment

17-25 = 8yrs
                            25-39 = 14yrs

Not such a fair comparison.
                            <div align="center">
                            "Yes, so we will return to racing - but we must win. You can’t be second with MV. It’s impossible to be second with MV Agusta."Castiglioni</div>

Comment

Originally posted by Stangas@Jan 30 2006, 05:21 PM
                              Training is definately the answer..*

i think there should be heaps of different sorts of courses too...

like driving with a trailer.
                              driving in out of control situations.
                              Driver awareness... yes motorbikes are aloud to use the road too...* blindspot identification ect.. driving in the left lane is bad

i&#39;m sure the list can go on and on...

but it is bullshit the way the gov want safer roads but then deny any answers that will incur a cost.
                              [snapback]220885[/snapback]
                              over here in Indiana if you get 2 traffic tickets in a year you have to attend a driving training course or your licence is cancelled not matter your age... that would be a lot of people trying to pass a "driving course" after years of bad habits in perth

Comment

Working...
                              X