Newbie Dirt bike question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Dirt bike question

Hi guys im looking at getting some sort of dirt bike to hoon around with a mate who is getting a quad. I am chasing down what the collective dirt bike community would think of as a decent 1st bike based on the following criteria:

* Cheap!
    * Bigger than 250cc prefered (trying to avoid maintenance costs of a 2 stroke)
    * Doesnt have to be road lisenceable
    * Will take a fair pounding
    * I am not a brand whore
    * Will be able to "keep up" with the more powerful bikes
    * Will be "newbie" friendly to ride

To further expand on a point, do offroad 4 strokes require maintenance levels similar to road going 4 strokes ? Or do they require just as much work as 2 strokes ?

Any feedback would be appreciated

Probably based on your criteria an XR400 would be a reasonable bike. The new CRF's etc are too labour intensive to keep going.

Comment

Yep XR400 Honda would be a great first dirt bike. Air cooled, and super reliable. You have to kick it tho.

DRZ400 Suzuki also is a good thing. This has water cooling + electric start.

250 2 stroke motocrossers not too bad to own and maintain if you do it yourself. Gets expensive if you had to pay someone else to work on it.

Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

Originally posted by Rob@Feb 1 2006, 10:29 AM
        250 2 stroke motocrossers not too bad to own and maintain if you do it yourself. Gets expensive if you had to pay someone else to work on it.
        [snapback]221490[/snapback]
        cool thanks!

would the 2 stroke be "powerful" enough to get over any real obstacle ? (e.g sand dunes and what not)

Comment

Originally posted by pkunk@Feb 1 2006, 10:51 AM
          cool thanks!

would the 2 stroke be "powerful" enough to get over any real obstacle ? (e.g sand dunes and what not)
          [snapback]221500[/snapback]

Be a man, get a CR500, you'll never need any more power ever but you may need a few visits to hospital if you dont respect it!

I reckon these are the ultimate thrill off road bikes although i have scared the shit out of my self on my 01 KX250 and i am a fairly big boy so if you a lightweight a 250 will be more than enough

Comment

Yeah the two stroke (as long as it's a KX, CR, YZ or RM) will have bags of power, they obviously lack the torque of a 4 stroke but depending on what your doing you can get a 2 stroke and fit flywheel weights for hill climbing etc. A mate of mine has done this with a KX500 and it easily keeps up with the new CRF's.

A 250 is a good allrounder as the 500's aren't as nimble through tight stuff, but depends on what your chasing. Also the cost of rebuilding a 2 stroke is much less than a newer 4 stroke so no real dramas there.

My DT200 goes ok but in real boggy sand it isn't powerful enough. Having said that last weekend I rode up some pretty hilly terrain near Wellington Dam without too many dramas, just had to select the right gear and use the clutch a little more than necessary to keep the revs up.

Comment

250 mx bike will go anywhere you want it to, and a few places you dont Sand dunes like Lancelin are awesome on the 2 strokes.

Whats the budget looking like??
              Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

Originally posted by Rob@Feb 1 2006, 12:02 PM
                250 mx bike will go anywhere you want it to, and a few places you dont  Sand dunes like Lancelin are awesome on the 2 strokes.

Whats the budget looking like??
                [snapback]221538[/snapback]
                sub $5,000 definatly

2-3k i could do easily at the end of the year

Comment

Just found this on the for sales at work:

EXCELLENT RUNNER,GRAPHICS,NEW POWER PIPE AND MUFFLER($800)NEW EXCELL RIM & S/S SPOKES($500)NEAR NEW TYRES,BRAKES DONE,SPARE PLASTICS,MANUEL,NOT RACED,VERY QUICK,ASKING $3000 CALL STEVE ON 0411505275.($2000 WORTH OF RIDING GEAR UP FOR SALE FOR THE RIGHT PRICE AS WELL).

Sounds like what you are chasing.

Comment

Originally posted by reddog@Feb 1 2006, 12:19 PM

EXCELLENT RUNNER,GRAPHICS,NEW POWER PIPE AND MUFFLER($800)NEW EXCELL RIM & S/S SPOKES($500)NEAR NEW TYRES,BRAKES DONE,SPARE PLASTICS,MANUEL,NOT RACED,VERY QUICK,ASKING $3000 CALL STEVE ON 0411505275.($2000 WORTH OF RIDING GEAR UP FOR SALE FOR THE RIGHT PRICE AS WELL).

[snapback]221553[/snapback]

whay kinda bike? i might nick in before him

Comment

Originally posted by reddog@Feb 1 2006, 12:19 PM

[snapback]221553[/snapback]
                      yeah i saw some stuff in that pricerange

problem is i dont have that money right now

and i need to get a big bike first (R class test in a month)

Comment

Originally posted by pkunk@Feb 1 2006, 10:51 AM
                        cool thanks!

[snapback]221500[/snapback]
                        Heya,

Don't under estimate the 250 two strokes!!! They will bite you. The reason people are going for the 450's now days is because they are a lot easier to ride and user friendly. They are still high maintenance though. I have a YZ250 2-stroke, the 450's don't pull away from me easily, they do however get the power to the ground a lot more friendly than the 2 stoke. On the road in a race it comes down to whoever gets the best start and can stop the front wheel from going skyward.

By two cents worth.

Dave
                        10 metre rule - Takes the guess work out of f_cking ugly!!!

Comment

I dont find my kx125 (94 model) to be maintenance heavy at all.
                          in fact, I've never needed to do the top end since I've had it. I dont ride it much anymore, but if your not racing it, the top end will last for a fair while. (tho you might not be making as much grunt)
                          probably could use a set of rings tho.
                          The only issue I ever had with it was the gearbox failing, which was due to problems with 5th when I bought it.
                          other than that, no problems in the 3 years I rode it pretty regularly (have only ridden it like, once in three years, but it still went like stink)
                          No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Originally posted by vscorsa@Feb 1 2006, 02:32 PM
                            Don't under estimate the 250 two strokes!!! They will bite you. The reason people are going for the 450's now days is because they are a lot easier to ride and user friendly. They are still high maintenance though. I have a YZ250 2-stroke, the 450's don't pull away from me easily, they do however get the power to the ground a lot more friendly than the 2 stoke. On the road in a race it comes down to whoever gets the best start and can stop the front wheel from going skyward.
                            [snapback]221613[/snapback]
                            I see, so if i say rode once every 2 weeks for a few hours, there would be no real difference in maintenance costs between a 250 2 stroke and a 450/400 4 stroke ?

I dont really mind about user friendlyness. I am assuming of course that a kick start bike will be cheaper...

Comment

05R1 - It's a 1999 KX 250

pkunk - most dirt bikes are kick start unless you go for the newer models that are licensable (ie CRFX450). Trying to kick start a bike after you have dropped it on a steep washed out gravel hill is fun

The only real maintenance I do on the DT is Air filter mainly. Check pressure in tyres, oil chain and clean after each run with a bit of truck wash.

The only downside top a 2 stroke is they generally eat much more fuel than the four strokes so on a big run through the bush you may need to strap a fuel can witha couple of litres to the front mud guard or organise a fuel stop. Longest run through the bush I've done is 140Kms and we refuelled around the 70-80Km mark.

Remember to factor in boots helmet and gloves at a minimum if you are buying. Boots are a saving grace through bush tracks, where you may hit various logs etc.

If you haven't ridden a dirt bike I suggest you borrow a friends and take it for a spin, certainly different to the road. Might make you get a loan and buy one sooner

Comment

Working...
                              X