X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda VT250C

Hey All,
    First post so here it goes....

Have only just taken up riding and am looking at getting my first bike.
    A workmate has a Honda VT250C that he is selling and if I want it he will sell it to me at a very good price.

My question to you all is, Is that bike any good???? It's done around 30,000ks but is in really good condition (Current owner is really anal about his machines).

Any feedback about this model is appreciated.

Cheers,

Joe
    I was asked to take part in a Marathon once... I told them to P**s Off

"Its for the deaf and disabled kids", they said.

I thought, "Hang on a sec.... I could win this....."

Well theres nothing inherently wrong with them if thats what you're asking? Theres a few members here that think they're quite coo. What you need to be thinking is;

Is it the bike I want?
    Can I afford it and the maintanence that comes with it?
    Do I enjoy riding it and is it comfortable for me?

Comment

Cheers for that Lee.

Can I afford it and the maintanence that comes with it?
      Do you think they will be more costly than most to maintain???

Thanks again.

Comment

is this the 250 cruiser or the 80 style faired sports 250?
        support honest cops, theres not many left

Comment

is the vt250c one of the "spada" models?

i have a spada.. a vt250L I think and there a re a few other spada owners in here.

They seem to have a good value rating in red book. ie they are fairly old (mine is 1991 and its done about 65000) mine has a red book value of 2400 - 2800.

I think Anton is sellling his yellow spada (once he fixes it up).

On that thought, IF the bike in question is a spada... talk to anton, he seems to know all about getting spares etc.

The water pump went on mine, but was easy to find a 2nd hand replacement part.

In general, I really enjoy my little spada. It is great as a commuter, and does ok on long rides with the psb bunch (although as a 250 there is no way it can keep up with bigger bikes).

I had a kawaski gpx before this and i definletly prefer the spada.

Comment

ok ignore my last post. it seems its not a spada!
            like i said, talk to anton on this

Comment

I've got an 84 model VT250F (integra) it's done about 170 000 ks, never missed a beat. Even when I got a big bike and didn't start it for 8 months, it still started (although reluctantly) and ran as good as ever. It used to be good up to about 150 - 165km/h which i think is plenty on a 250, it may still be but the 20 year old speedo finally crapped itself while I was using to teach my friend how to ride (4 other people have learnt on that little beastie as well)
              <span style="font-family:Trebuchet Ms">E hoa ka whawhai tonu matou ake ake ake</span>

Comment

Yeah, it&#39;s the cruiser.

Comment

mate of mine has one and loves it.....nice 250 if you into cruisers.

Comment

Those cruisers look nice mate. The honda twin is a nice engine with some good get up and go (for a 250). I was told by the service manager at the Honda Shop that the 250 v-twin engine doesn&#39;t really run in until about 10,000 km and are &#39;un-breakable&#39;.

But as has been suggested, try sitting on a few other bikes of different styles if you haven&#39;t already. I really liked the look of the cruiser style bikes when looking for my first bike, but after sitting on a couple I felt I was too low to the ground and the pegs too far forward. But I am 5&#39;7", so what ever feels most comfortable for you. Whatever you end up doing, enjoy!
                    I can't think what more you could possibly need to know... except maybe this:

Comment

You should just keep in mind tha a 250cc bike will cost roughly the same as a corolla to run when you add everything up. Fuel costs sweet f-all, but as far as maintainence in the way of servicing, tyres, chains and other "consumables" on the bike, you&#39;re only a small step ahead.

I&#39;ve got a spreadsheet I did comparing a 250cc bike to a car as an alternative form of commuting, giving running costs in terms of distance, weeks, years, and breaks them down into fuel, other running costs (tyres, servicing) and fixed costs (rego, insurance). If you&#39;re interested I can email it. Can&#39;t seem to upload excel spreadsheets to the forum...

Bikes aren&#39;t cheap to run, they&#39;re just cheap to fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by dolph@Feb 1 2006, 03:27 PM

Have only just taken up riding and am looking at getting my first bike.
                        A workmate has a Honda VT250C that he is selling and if I want it he will sell it to me at a very good price.

What year is it, and how much is he selling it for?

Is the cruiser style of bike the one you want to go with?

Make sure you sit on it, test ride if possible, and see if it&#39;s comfortable or not.

30,000k is possibly bad if it&#39;s a 2005 model, but positively brilliant if it&#39;s an early 90&#39;s model.

I recently bought a 2001 VT250c, with 14,000kms on the clock, for $5500 from a private sale.

Similar ones I&#39;d seen advertised for, or being sold at well over $6k, so I was quite happy with that price.

prk.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonchilds@Feb 1 2006, 08:21 PM
                          You should just keep in mind tha a 250cc bike will cost roughly the same as a corolla to run when you add everything up.* Fuel costs sweet f-all, but as far as maintainence in the way of servicing, tyres, chains and other "consumables" on the bike, you&#39;re only a small step ahead.

I&#39;d love a copy of your spreadsheet please. Email is prk at digitaljunkie dot net

I did similar calculations when I looked at it (albeit on the back of an envelope) and came out ahead on the bike. Reduced parking costs was a big contributor to the savings though.

Comment

What year it is is very important, the mid to late 80&#39;s VT250&#39;s were known as mechanical handgrenades athough admittedly all the ones that were going to grenade probally have by now. It wasn&#39;t that long ago the big H used to make some shockers.
                            Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Thanks for all the replys guys,

I haven&#39;t really gotten a chance to try out any other bikes yet, so I will be doing that. The reason I&#39;m thinking about the cruiser is a ) It&#39;s being offered to me by a workmate for a ridiculously good price and b ) My wife likes the look of them and feels more comfortable with them.
                              If she&#39;s comfortable, then It&#39;ll be a lot easier for me to get one.

Jonchilds, if you could email that spreadsheet to me, I&#39;d really appreciate it. email is jpt @ rpdata . com That would be an interesting comparison. Wouldn&#39;t stop me buying a bike though... It&#39;s not all about saving money for me.

prk, I&#39;m not sure what year it is yet, I&#39;ll ask him today if he comes in... but he wants $5500 for it too... But because I&#39;m a friend he&#39;ll sell it to me a bit cheaper... But don&#39;t tell him he can get over six for it, whatever you do.

Comment

Working...
                              X