Lanesplitting protest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lanesplitting protest

The protest about the lanesplitting proposal went down over east, we didn't get any coverage on the news's I saw here, so do we want to do one? What do you all want to do?

The block traffic protest got a lot of media coverage over east. Would involve getting as many bikes as possible and ride like the new proposal has asked us to do, taking up as much room as a car and causing chaos on the freeway. Pissing the car drivers off.

The lanesplitting protest i came up with, to actually lanesplit through traffic in groups of ten just to show how safe and convenient the practice is. It’s been pointed out that this option is a little idealistic and may not achieve squat.

Don't be silly, kinda speaks for itself.

It would happen one Wednesday morning in a couple of weeks about 7.30 I guess.
    Block traffic protest.
    0%
    Lanesplitting protest.
    0%
    Don't be silly, you shouldn't protest.
    0%
    <div align="center">
    "Yes, so we will return to racing - but we must win. You can’t be second with MV. It’s impossible to be second with MV Agusta."Castiglioni</div>

doc, i like the positive approach to show drivers the good side of splitting.
    AND the block traffic protest seems to have been a success!

add a "both" option, then i will vote

Comment

Sorry, you can&#39;t change them after they&#39;re set up mate. Just vote for your most preferred option. I&#39;m going to assume there will be some cross over after a decision has been made.

I was also thinking of some advanced thing where we hold up traffic for ten mins then break into lane splitting, then back into blocking. But it would be so hard to get right, my brain couldn&#39;t get around it.

Originally posted by peterl@Feb 1 2006, 09:37 PM
      doc, i like the positive approach to show drivers the good side of splitting.
      AND the block traffic protest seems to have been a success!

add a "both" option, then i will vote
      [snapback]221835[/snapback]
      <div align="center">
      "Yes, so we will return to racing - but we must win. You can’t be second with MV. It’s impossible to be second with MV Agusta."Castiglioni</div>

Comment

I think we&#39;d get more attention following the style of protest which was performed over east.

Splitting through traffic and not having an impact, whilst being visible, isn&#39;t neccesarily making a visible impact, and could act to piss drivers off more, making them supportive of the lane splitting ban. I personally don&#39;t mind the odd bike coming by me when I&#39;m in the cage, but even as a rider, I&#39;d find it incredibly hard to drive without hitting a bike if there were to be several hundred riders doing this, and like Jono, fear someone will have their trip go awry, strengthening the anti-lane-splitting argument.

I&#39;d happily join in on a blocking traffic style protest after the 20th of Feb (current job ends, back to uni) and could possibly participate until about 9:30-10am if my bike has arrived. Doing something like this down the length of the Kwinana heading into town at 8am would have a very big impact - particularly if we obey the 22 or so speed zones religiously. We could then possibly carry the protest on the freeway to Vincent or Cedric St and ride through the Parliament house, or to the Office of Road Safety (Parking at the WACA, down the Poly-Pipe and off at East Pde).

Comment

Like I&#39;ve said in the other thread. In priciple the lane splitting protest is a good idea, but I don&#39;t think it will attract media attention. It will be difficult for the media to get good footage. If conditions on the day are not right, then it will look a bit silly going between the only 2 cars on the freeway.

If the traffic is not heavy at the appointed time/place and traffic just happens to be flowing at the speed limit, then what, are we going to speed to demonstrate safe lane splitting? What happens if it is peak hour and the traffic is at a virtual standstill and we go past 50 cars at a time, I don&#39;t think that will go down well with the ill-informed general public.

Comment

I want to do the block traffic protest because I&#39;m not fast enough to lanesplit but I still want to get my point across. A big group ride would show solidarity too. United we stand!

Comment

if it is to be a block type protest then a northbound AND a southbound ride possibly?

or wuld that pis off TOO many ? and where would media cover? (at least they then have a choice) and if we have numbers to do 2 blocks

Comment

I believe that a incidental block while protesting the unworkability of the new rules is the only way to get attention.
                A lane filtering demonstration is lost on most and will only be seen by the few cars we pass

we need lots of bikes and create delays to be noticed

And that from me - I am agaionst controversy, and have the live and let live approach ... but if we want to get noticed to make a difference we need to ... block traffic by playing by the rules!

my 2c and a little rant ..
                Hans
                Adrenaline Junky

Comment

The block is the only way to go and we need at least 50 bikes so you need to set it on a day when you will get that.

Interesting for those that care, yesterday i rode home alng freeway north from CBD, a coppa on a bike pulled up next to me, nodded and then started to lane split down the freeway and of course i followed him the whole way.

Oh and the dude in shorts on the Red/white R6, haha, your wheelie on the onramp from Wellington Street under the flyover was shit and my one put you to shame, i only put it down cos i had to go round the bend. And your attempt on Powis Street was even funnier, you so nearly hit that car in front of you when you fanned the clutch hahaha

Id probably practise in a place other than peak hour otherwise you will be another statistic that increases our premiums!

Comment

Originally posted by 05R1boy@Feb 2 2006, 09:09 AM
                    Oh and the dude in shorts on the Red/white R6, haha, your wheelie on the onramp from Wellington Street under the flyover was shit and my one put you to shame, i only put it down cos i had to go round the bend.* And your attempt on Powis Street was even funnier, you so nearly hit that car in front of you when you fanned the clutch hahaha*

Id probably practise in a place other than peak hour otherwise you will be another statistic that increases our premiums!
                    [snapback]221959[/snapback]
                    Way to highjack a thread about something important to all bikers with some bragging. Great job. No wonder everyone in the general community doesnt take us seriously.

I think a block is a good plan.
                    The Twitter

Comment

I would be very keen to participate in a "blocking" style protest as conducted over east.
                      As has already been suggested, large numbers of bikes attempting to lane-split could become a logistical nightmare and become quite dangerous. I&#39;m sure those who regularly lane-split will have their own habits and techniques for safe passage between vehicles, and trying to co-ordinate this with many could lead to a nasty accident.

The media issue needs to be addressed if this is to be a success. If it is possible to contact one of the co-ordinators of the protest conducted over east, they may have some suggestions. We can&#39;t just expect the media to show up, we will probably have to warn them out.

Keep the ball rolling guys, don&#39;t just let this one slip by!

Comment

Resist

i think this is a classic case of the pot ( lets do a runner) calling the kettle(i did a good wheelie) to task.

and he did contribute with a valid remark

need 50 bikes
                        A site all parents should check regulary
                        http://www.mako.org.au/temp_a.html

(+)

Comment

Originally posted by resist@Feb 2 2006, 09:14 AM
                          Way to highjack a thread about something important to all bikers with some bragging. Great job. No wonder everyone in the general community doesnt take us seriously.

I think a block is a good plan.
                          [snapback]221961[/snapback]
                          Dude this was on topic, we were talkin about public perception (ie to block, to lane split and how the public views either),

the peanut on the R6 was ruinin our public perception by pulling a shit wheelie while lane splitting in peak hour! This was followed by the POliceman lane splitting incident so that i why i posted it immediately here in this thread as i thought the Policeman lane splitting was highly relevant to this topic and thread.

I was not braggin, i was laughing at him because i did not even do a wheelie, i let out the clutch a little fast from the lights to turn onto the onramp from wellington Street (the bend) and my wheel popped up about 5mm and so he decided to try and do one, revved the shit out of his bike, dropped the clutch, it popped up about a metre and then went straight back down again. Sorry for the miscommunication there.

I hope that clears my intentions up with you Jacob!@

Comment

jacob, simon.... not the place

Comment

I&#39;m all for the block, and I can get a couple of other mates to come along with bikes, it may also be worth getting friends in cages to support by congesting the road even further.
                              http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=632053019

Comment

Working...
                              X