My dumb-ass question... bout bike batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dumb-ass question... bout bike batteries

I know this is prolly obvious and stoopid, but dez got a new battery for my bike last week cause the other one crapped itself. By the time he got it home it had leaked everywhere. I'm guessing i8t's just distilled water right??? Like a car battery??? Just gonna go down the shop and wanna make sure i'm getting the right thing. Is there an indicator on the battery as to how full you fill it??? or is it just to the top?
    Meisha.... Personal Trainer.... And Lovin it!!!

Distilled water yes, and not right to the top. Should be able to see the water in there.

Comment

batterys from new are filled with acid and over time the water part in the acid miture vapourises off thats why u put distilled water in it to bring it back up to level

so watever it was spilt on id be cleaning it off asap

Comment

All the batteries I've been buying over the years use acid and once you put it in, you seal it. Never need to touch it after that. Lasts about three years, on average, for me.
        Marty 3005

Moto Guzzi Stelvio & BMW G650GS

Comment

Thanks peoples.... me is off to the shops...

Comment

plus also they have done test after test on normal water out of the tap's and de miralized water and found differant results all the time basicly saying that there is no differance in either that was told to me by a nissan australia manager when visiting we where talking about servicing of vehicals and that came up...

Comment

Originally posted by zadok@Feb 2 2006, 07:25 PM
              All the batteries I've been buying over the years use acid and once you put it in, you seal it. Never need to touch it after that. Lasts about three years, on average, for me.
              [snapback]222225[/snapback]
              Different type of battery, you have obviously been buying maintainance free sealed batteries
              support honest cops, theres not many left

Comment

Originally posted by meisha@Feb 2 2006, 07:12 PM
                I know this is prolly obvious and stoopid, but dez got a new battery for my bike last week cause the other one crapped itself. By the time he got it home it had leaked everywhere.
                [snapback]222216[/snapback]
                so watever it was spilt on id be cleaning it off asap
                i'm guessing that by the time you'd written this, the damage woulda already been done. time to thow out whatever it got spilt on...i got some battery acid on my shorts at midday today, by 2 there was already a hole in them. but basically, as soon as the acids on there, it's farked
                "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

I thought all bike batteries were sealed, maintainence free types.. otherwise fluid would leak out each time you took a corner.
                  Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1@Feb 2 2006, 10:00 PM
                    I thought all bike batteries were sealed, maintainence free types..* otherwise fluid would leak out each time you took a corner.
                    [snapback]222315[/snapback]
                    Good point *shrugs* I'll have a good look at it tomorrow and whatever it was leaked all over dezas bag and him and he's still in one piece, that's why i guessed it was water... i guess if i kill the battery then i'll know i did the wrong thing??!! Gotta learn somehow!!

Comment

Warm water with bi-carbonate soda (baking soda) mixed in will nuetralise battery acid, Then wash with a good detergent.
                      Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by chief wiggum@Feb 2 2006, 09:54 PM
                        i'm guessing that by the time you'd written this, the damage woulda already been done. time to thow out whatever it got spilt on...i got some battery acid on* my shorts at midday today, by 2 there was already a hole in them. but basically, as soon as the acids on there, it's farked
                        [snapback]222309[/snapback]
                        I have a cotton/polyester shirt I wore to work once. Didn't notice splling some acid on it, but after the next wash, there was just the polyester left . It's now my work shirt, and can get more acid on it.

The only real bad acids (nitric, conc.sulphuric) aren't found in car batteries (though watered down sulphuric is). You can quite safely touch the corrosion with your fingers assuming you wash them shortly afterwards (15min). Most plastics are fairly acid resistant, however natural fibres such as cotton and silk are pretty susceptible to damage.

People these days are too uptight about safety. Can't use a gas because it's nasty, evacuate a building because I dropped a thermometer, make me wear full safety gear when it's 35'c in the lab because I'm using dilute acids...

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1@Feb 2 2006, 10:00 PM
                          I thought all bike batteries were sealed, maintainence free types..* otherwise fluid would leak out each time you took a corner.
                          [snapback]222315[/snapback]
                          They run a baffle type plate setup.

We run non sealed batteries in jet ski's (proper , not the newer house boat that flaots with 3 people) , big Marg River swell jumps , barrell rolls , verical piroettes (sp?) .... no hass. If they leaked , battery acid and salt water on components in the the engine bay be very bad ...

Comment

Originally posted by saf@Feb 3 2006, 12:03 AM
                            They run a baffle type plate setup.

We run non sealed batteries in jet ski's (proper , not the newer house boat that flaots with 3 people) , big Marg River swell jumps , barrell rolls , verical piroettes (sp?) .... no hass. If they leaked , battery acid and salt water on components in the the engine bay be very bad ...
                            [snapback]222382[/snapback]
                            not having a go at you but i would love to see that some time! must be sure fun and legal!!!!
                            Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Originally posted by Falcore@Feb 3 2006, 03:14 AM
                              not having a go at you but i would love to see that some time! must be sure fun and legal!!!!
                              [snapback]222404[/snapback]
                              I only wish i had more ocean shots ....

Comment

Working...
                              X