Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions please on exhaust dent repair

Hi guys

I have a mysterious dent appear on my exhaust within the last two weeks. I don't know how it got there and there is no other damage around to suggest otherwise.

I was thinking I could take it to the people that knock out dings in vehicle panels, what are your suggestions or recommendations?

Slip on brand is Akrapovic, in case that's relevant.

[MENTION=8418]potato[/MENTION], is this something you can help me with?

I've seen good results on the internet by filling the pipe with water and putting the the freezer.
    -

Comment

As the steel has been stretched I would say it wouldn't be an easy or cheap task to repair it back to original.
      My suggestion would be to look for a cool carbon fibre guard/cover to hide it.
      Or you could just call it customisation. as it is now unique to your bike.
      RR VRT #100
      Sponsors Wanted.
      Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
      A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:

Comment

Simple fix...

Drill out rivets at both ends of sleeve...

Remove sleeve...

Remove as much of dent as possible with as little damage as possible...

Now reassemble pipe, but with the damaged area down and in a bit, or in the position that you can't see the damage easily...

Simple...

I did this to a carbon, hexagon shaped Akro...

Glassed up the damage and had to end for end the sleeve to put the damaged section on the inside...

Comment

I haven't tried it personally and I suppose there is a chance of splitting.

How to remove an exhaust pipe dent

-

Comment

I heard the freezer trick can split the header, thats the only reason i haven't tried it on mine!
            Project: Fix my tard! Now with extra reliability!
            SupermotoWA on Bookface
            You should go here and here, and definitely here.

Comment

I get the impression that the dent is on the slip on...

Not sure filling it with water is going to help...

Comment

remove it from the bike and send a pic to some of the dent pulling and exhaust places and see what they say.

problem i see is its titanium which needs titanium welding which not all places will be able to do, if they need to cut drill or lug it.
                Originally posted by Bendito
                If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Yeah...

Pics would help...

Comment

I'm seeing a pic?
                    -

Comment

Ive tackled these few different ways in the past depending on how fussy the owner was. A quick fix was drilling a small hole opposite the dent and hammering it out then plug welding the hole. A longer process was to cut the dent out, then cut a patch out of another exhaust, weld and blend. A cheap fix was to put up with dent whilst keeping an eye out for another can that had the muffler trashed but the pipe ok and drill out the rivets and swap over.
                      Why me? I was being overtaken when you had the radar on me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by agrid View Post
                        I'm seeing a pic?
                        In the first post?

Comment

Originally posted by Mattpack View Post
                          A cheap fix was to put up with dent whilst keeping an eye out for another can that had the muffler trashed but the pipe ok and drill out the rivets and swap over.
                          yeah good thinking, check out the wreckers and post wanted ad on the zx10 forum. those akro's were offered standard with a lot of zx10r's so there must be a few floating about.
                          Originally posted by Bendito
                          If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                            In the first post?
                            Yes there's a pic in my opening post. The dent is on the pipe section right near the end that goes into the collector - easily accessible to someone with skills and tools to 'knock it out'

Comment

-

Comment

Working...
                              X