No announcement yet.

Top Speed of a fully worked SR500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I reckon the spark is weak because the plugs are full of shit and the points are dirty, and therefore it fails to spark (i.e misses) under load.
    -

Comment

i would have guessed that the marble was to stop the fuel sloshing in a certain direction or something of that nature, it could have been to block the EGR circuit or something, those things had some weird little systems like a pipe running from a box around the exhaust to run heated air into the air intake.
      Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

[MENTION=17003]filbert[/MENTION] wins, he put the marble in heated water pipe to the carbs.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          a wider flame front means a more complete burn, you could go around in circles for weeks on this one, have you ever looked at MSD or chryslers ELB from the 70s?

it's a very fast process, the piston is often already on the exhaust stroke while fuel is still burning hence the need for ignition before TDC and the later ignition is the more heat into exhausts and turbos etc, the wider the spark and the stronger it is the bigger the flame front, multiple sparks clean up what the first spark misses, multiple sparks on multiple plugs are more efficient again.

it's part of the reason that the ICE is considered to only be around 30% efficient.
          Completely agree.

Most piston planes have a dual magneto/top and bottom spark setup and are fuelled accordingly.

If you run on the left or right mag only EGT goes up and you loose power.
          In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

I happened to be at the festival of thump at Deus yesterday and I saw this. Looks like my suspicions were right...

Last edited by Rex Havoc; 28-04-2013, 01:28 PM.

Himalayan Heroes W E B S I T E , F A C E B O O K

Perth Cafe Racers F A C E B O O K

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Havoc View Post
              I happened to be at the festival of thump at Deus yesterday and I saw this. Looks like my suspicions were right...
              That's probably only the mild tune. Stop being so suspicious.

Comment

1. Utube has a standard injected sr400 doing 170kms. The 500 only has 31 hp in standard form. have a 500 that I run cam pod exhaust ignition advancers oil lines hydraulic lifters jets 38mm carby clip ons rear sets and 16/42 sprockets. it loves to rev through redline and as no trouble winding off the clock .The increments only go 180kms but the needle keeps going. best practice is to hold throttle wide open flat change the gears no clutch till 5th lay on tank, place feet on pillion pegs hold left fork for least air resitants then pray as the standard suspension and frame feel like jelly after 150kms. I also have a hd sportster1200 triumph 955I and husaburg550 but there's something about the Sr500, I've 3 off them and believe in a higher speed being achieved. With modern tuners Xt/tt500 record speed 121mph

Comment

Originally posted by Glennos View Post
                  1. Utube has a standard injected sr400 doing 170kms. The 500 only has 31 hp in standard form. have a 500 that I run cam pod exhaust ignition advancers oil lines hydraulic lifters jets 38mm carby clip ons rear sets and 16/42 sprockets. it loves to rev through redline and as no trouble winding off the clock .The increments only go 180kms but the needle keeps going. best practice is to hold throttle wide open flat change the gears no clutch till 5th lay on tank, place feet on pillion pegs hold left fork for least air resitants then pray as the standard suspension and frame feel like jelly after 150kms. I also have a hd sportster1200 triumph 955I and husaburg550 but there's something about the Sr500, I've 3 off them and believe in a higher speed being achieved. With modern tuners Xt/tt500 record speed 121mph
                  I was on the back of new XT 500 when they first came out one night the speedo read nearly 180 kmh!

Taking into account speedo error i would say a real speed of 165-170 kmh was feasible two up.

My XT 550 regularly saw 160 - 180 kmh up north with no headwind but felt less powerful than the first XT 500 bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrimsey View Post
                    How fast will a Postie bike go in 3 rd??
                    About 70.... Trust me
                    Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
                    remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
                    Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
                    Who died while defending his right of way;
                    He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
                    But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

Originally posted by acdcfan View Post

About 70.... Trust me
                      about 75

Comment

Did you get any results?

Comment

Originally posted by LutherSantiago View Post

about 75
                          Yours must have less mileage then mine... and more oil 😀
                          Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
                          remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
                          Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
                          Who died while defending his right of way;
                          He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
                          But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

Originally posted by acdcfan View Post

Yours must have less mileage then mine... and more oil 😀
                            More oil

Comment

Working...
                            X