X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t.t
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Steak View Post
    I just got a quote from The Toy Haul company - door-to-door Melb to Perth $675 fully insured
    my brother used them for his harley he bought over from victoria .it used to be around $550 in 2016 ,guess prices have gone up.

Leave a comment:

• frenchie
    replied
    Thats quite good, in 2020 I'm looking to ship a bike to Adelaide and then back a few weeks later and bikes only site provided an estimate of ~$606 each way, I wonder if The Toy Haul company is as good/better.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Steak
    replied
    I just got a quote from The Toy Haul company - door-to-door Melb to Perth $675 fully insured

Leave a comment:

• angelic
    replied
    wrap it in bubble wrap
    no seriously, just make sure you use one of the companies mentioned ( i only use bikes only ) and get preload photos, good insurance and video it being unloaded and a full walk round while the driver is there.Its more about covering your arse in case than guaranteeing zero damage. Murphy is always where you dont want him !
    good luck and keep us posted when it arrives

Leave a comment:

• Z_rider
    replied
    I recently relocated, and found bike nuts just outsourced to bikes only. I also discovered AAMI was happy to upgrade my 3rd party so my bike was coveted, but then had a full cover exit fee later.

A registered bike over east can ride in WA for a period before rego transfer is required. Cancellation of rego in AcT has an admin fee, while NSW its even trickier as you need to attend an office. I guess point is, dont count on getting much or any refund on rego when cancelling /transferring.

Bargains can be had though. The for my z300, my only local option was $600 more expensive for a second hand bike than a new bike unregistered from Nsw. I did trailer hire, permit and rego and ended up with a new bike for the price of a second hand.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I arranged for my cousin to pick up my 1980 gs1000s st on the weekend and it is now in my garage in fairy meadow just outside wollongong.

They replaced the main fuse and the battery and it started straight away and with only 35,000 kays on it the engine is excellent.

I am considering either racing it in the historics in nsw and victoria or just riding it back to wa as a kinda roadtrip.

This is the best example of a 1980 gs1000s st i have seen in years and i am so pleased to be reunited with an old friend and i cant wait to get over there and ride it.

It just goes to show if you persevere and keep looking you can find that bike you always dreamed of owning and in my case owning again as i have had four of them from the 1978 gs1000e to the 1981 gs1000s st.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I just secured a 1981 suzuki gs1000s st apparently all original but not running from country nsw at $3000.00 i consider it a bargain and i intend to restore it to race in the historics.
    I just have to organize transport to wa i even thought about driving over east with a trailer to pick it up, i kinda can't wait to get it over here it will be my fifth gs1000.

Leave a comment:

• gareth_oau
    replied
    How do the licensing inspections go regarding modifications?

the OP suggested the bike has to be completely stock.

I'm curious about aftermarket exhausts and tail tidies

Is there any tolerance for these, or will they 100% be failed?

Are the licencing centres and more or less relaxed than private centres?

Leave a comment:

• BSXR
    replied
    Thank you for the comprehensive write up! Definitely good to know about the differences in bike transport. Not sure if I have the patience to wait so long for a bike, but like you say if it's a bargain it's worth it.

Leave a comment:

• DanFranko
    replied
    Originally posted by Sprint View Post
    I'm buying a Geelong bike this weekend.. 1967 Yamaha.
    RARE.
    I can't replace this bike... so...

...any strong/first-hand recommendations to get it here with ZERO damage?

S.
    I used these guys to bring the Ducati (69 scrambler) across from QLD to WA.

http://www.motorcycleexpress.com.au/

Door to door. No issues whatsoever. Bike unscathed.

Not the cheapest, but as others have said, you get what you pay for.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Sprint
    replied
    I'm buying a Geelong bike this weekend.. 1967 Yamaha.
    RARE.
    I can't replace this bike... so...

...any strong/first-hand recommendations to get it here with ZERO damage?

S.

Leave a comment:

• quasimoto
    replied
    Nice thread.....brings back the nightmares I've had doing the same.

Don't forget that if you bought the same bike here in the west you'd be up for some stamp duty on the purchase so you can deduct that from the total. Probably a couple other small costs too so not completely $$ free if you buy local. Just comparing.

I recommend spending more on freight to get better service. I've bought two bikes over and two cars over. One bike sustained a small dent in the tank that thankfully is barely noticeable. One car received frontal damage. A neighbour bought a Ducati over and it sustained scuffs on the side of bike. That one was repaired by the transporter. Something else to consider.

all I can say is goodluck....there are some absolute bargains out there now that the government have hiked up the rego, sold our jobs to the world market and flittered our taxes away. Hate to be a bike shop at the mo.

Leave a comment:

• Edog
    replied
    I just had my bike transported back to Perth from Brisbane with Fergussons.
    They provided excellent service at both ends, I did drop off (while transiting back from NZ) and collection.
    It was $1050 from my Triumph Tiger 1050, with panniers, top box and a duffel bag of riding gear at no extra charge. The other two quotes I got were $1050 and $1100.
    To protect the bike it was wrapped in bubble wrap as well as being freighted in a steel crate, so no dust/gravel/flying stones issues whilst driving across the country. It arrived in exactly the same condition, not even a layer of dust.
    It took 12 days to get from Brisbane to Perth and be available for collection. Truewheel noted above he didn't choose Fergussons because of the extra time they were going to take. Maybe they've changed now, or maybe he just had bad timing that coincided with them being really busy, and they had a number of pick ups scheduled. They said 2 weeks to me when they quoted, and they came in under that. I would definitely recommend using them if you are transporting bikes from over east.

Leave a comment:

• Cowz
    replied
    Excellent write up

Leave a comment:

• Daytona
    replied
    Thanks Truewheel

Many thanks for the write up.

I purchased a bike from a Sydney dealership three weeks ago and only just received an advice this morning that the bike won't be here until the 22nd of April. I guess that ties in with what you said about the transporters "traipsing around the country picking up and dropping off".

My situation is slightly different to you in that the purchase included free delivery (so I didn't get to pick the transporter).

I am impatient to get the new toy, but (in part due to your write up) I am resolved to the fact that I will just have to wait till it gets here. I really expected (hoped) it would be here for riding on the Easter Long Weekend - soooo glad I did nothing yet about selling my current bike!

Thanks also for the lisencing info. Once again I am in a slightly different boat in that the bike is licenced, but all the general info is greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X