Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

?question on Lams approved registered Road/trails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?question on Lams approved registered Road/trails?

Hey guys i'm fairly new to this forum - Recently joined as my KLX250 got stolen and a mate suggested putting a post up on here. Have finally scrounged enough money together after months of saving to be able to get another bike (Its been hell not being on 2 wheels ) and am in the market for a road trail bigger than a 250. I have been looking a bit at the drz400's and the dr650's but have no idea on what kind of bike I should be looking at, and all the dealerships just tell me that their bike is the best when i call . I commute from Maylads to Freo and back every day for Tafe so I want something that's up for the challenge, also have to be able to put the missus on the back (she weighs 45kgs and i weigh 95kgs) As low maintenance as possible - (I don't want to be changing oil every week) and to be able to take out on the odd weekend. Does anybody have any information that might help steer me in the right direction at what kind of bike I'd be looking at (A lot of you are going to say buy a road bike for your road use and a trail bike for trail use, but I just loved the versatility of my old klx, and I would really love to stick to a road trail)
    Cheers.

if you do look at the DRZ400 it will need to be a DRZ400S because the E version doesn't have pillion pegs.

the dr650 would be a good choice but they are a fair bit heavier than the enduro base road trails.

plenty of bikes 250 to 600 would be suitable depends on budget and stuff like that.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

ahh ok cheers for that, I have no idea what I should be looking at though - A few people have told me the Wr450's,Ktm exc's and Klx400/450's are all enduro geared bikes and the gearboxes wouldnt last on the road, Do you know much about them mate? I will be 80% on road and 20% off - commuting monday to friday.

Comment

Rory yes those type of bikes have been known to have gearbox problems with high road use in the past. I do know they still are having problems but wether its related to that or other factors I can't tell you.
        Best advice is keep asking around and do your homework- good luck!!
        No road to rough no muff to tough.

Comment

Depends on what sort of riding you plan on doing.

Dr650 is cheap to maintain etc and is happy doing large k's but comes at the cost of power and extra weight.
          Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Drz400 for what u want or a air cooled XR
            B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

This also depends on what he is calling trail use. If it is just a couple of gravel/dirt roads then the extra weight of a DR650 won't worry him. If he is doing tight technical stuff then he'd need to be a lot more careful when bike shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcore View Post
                Depends on what sort of riding you plan on doing.

Dr650 is cheap to maintain etc and is happy doing large k's but comes at the cost of power and extra weight.
                Just general commuting really - Power isn't an issue, would much rather not having to do top ends/oil changes every week and put up with a little less power, As long as she's a bit quicker than the KLX250 I'll be stoked. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comment

Well my personal choice is dr650 but I'm biased as I love mine.

No sports bike with power but more than comfortable doing 110 all day.

Unless your doing serious offroad then my opinion is dr650 ftw.

Keep in mind everything is a trade off. Can't have everything.

Comment

how does the dr go offroad?

Comment

Quite good personally but I'm used to a old xlv750r, aka twice as heavy.

Tyres is a massive decider on how they behave offroad. Again it's a trade off. A tyre designed for off road won't handle or last long on the road where as a enduro tyre (more road biased) will last a while but can be challenging offroad.

As a base machine they tick all the right boxes for offroad just don't expect to be at the pointy end of a pack of mx bikes.

Comment

I think the DR650 holds the current record for an East-West Australian speed run (at least they had it a couple of years ago). Thats the sort of ride that doesn't have any roads involved.
                        Two Moto Kiwis Arctic To Antarctic May 2012... - ADVrider this thread should give you an idea of what they can be used for . There are a few motard ones out there too but they aren't exactly going to get raced competitively.

Comment

if you do look at the DRZ400 it will need to be a DRZ400S because the E version doesn't have pillion pegs.
                          A DRZ400E (ie the yellow off-road version) would be good with a set of road tyres. Maybe get a spare set of wheels, so that you can have one set of tyres for weekday road use and the other set for weekend off-road use.

No idea what it would take to fit pillion pegs to the E model... something worth finding out. Are they just bolt-on jobs?
                          One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by Phildo View Post
                            A DRZ400E (ie the yellow off-road version) would be good with a set of road tyres. Maybe get a spare set of wheels, so that you can have one set of tyres for weekday road use and the other set for weekend off-road use.

No idea what it would take to fit pillion pegs to the E model... something worth finding out. Are they just bolt-on jobs?
                            I think you could just bolt on the pegs. The real difference is the subframe for the seat on the E is aluminium rather than steel like the S and SM. It might not take the weight. But the S frame can be bolted to the E and you can also change seats etc. so that it is suitable for a pillion/luggage.

Comment

You could bolt on pillion pegs easily enough for the 400e but you would need higher rated springs for anything over 80-100kg, unless you like the see-saw and pogo stick effect
                              Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Working...
                              X