Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting into riding, need some gear recommendations!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting into riding, need some gear recommendations!

Just got my learner's permit and am currently looking for a 250 ninja/hyosung/cbr on Gumtree. Along with this I need to get some gear. I have done a quick search in these forums, but I'm not sure if the previously recommended helmets (such as the Nolan N104) are what I'm after. Once I pass my test, I will mostly be doing the 5 min ride to Uni, with the occasional weekend ride up along Cott when the sun comes out. I can't really see myself riding on the freeway, as if I was travelling quite far I would just drive the car instead.

Theres the background; and here are the questions:
    • Do I really need to buy a $450+ helmet?
    • Would a cheaper alternative, such as the Shark 700 (which is $200), be more than adequate for my safety needs?
    • What do I need to look out for in a helmet? Is a full face safer than a modular?
    • What sort of price range should I be looking for in a jacket? Any recommended brands/models?
    • How important are boots? If very, what boots do you use, and how much were they?

Note: I am a full-time uni student, and work on the weekends for minimum wage. While I have saved up a fair amount, I would like to keep this as cheap as possible without cutting any corners.

Thanks in advace!

no
    yes
    comfort/good fit. yes.
    $200. Dririder all weather textile with removable liner.
    very important. Dririder touring boots $200.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      no
      yes
      comfort/good fit. yes.
      $200. Dririder all weather textile with removable liner.
      very important. Dririder touring boots $200.
      Consise and to the point. I like it. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Mr_Mike
      Don't worry about gear, just don't crash
      Hmmmm, so you recommend singlet and thongs? Sounds comfy...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mike
        Sparks likes this
        Should I put the money I save into a faster bike?

Comment

If you know your size Bikebiz - New & used motorcycles and parts & accessories has good prices on DriRider gear (20% discount).
          As has already been covered by filbert, fit and comfort (in that order) are your main concerns (after safety) when buying a helmet. IMO after that you want to be looking at quality, sometimes the more expensive helmet will last a lot longer than a cheaper helmet. Shark is a good choice though. I ended up with Shoeis because Shark HJC etc. don't fit me properly.
          After a helmet gloves and boots are probably your most important gear, but they are often neglected. In my own minor mishaps what would have been a couple of scratches if I didn't have a jacket on, would probably have been a broken ankle without proper boots. My last off would have left me missing some of the top of my foot and toes if I didn't have at least leather boots on. To put this in perspective, it was minor enough that I picked the bike up and road home.
          With boots make sure they fit well, it's worth paying an extra 50-100 bucks for something you will be comfortable wearing all the time as it avoids the problem of you wearing something else because it is comfy. They only protect you when they are on your feet.

Comment

Originally posted by TheChorizo View Post
            if you're buying a faster bike i might have to review my suggestions....

i was suggesting good starter gear for a new rider that will do the job without wasting any money, even if you decide to upgrade to something better you can use it as your wet weather gear.

if you want to ride fast, then leather with armour and a boot with a toe slider and better ankle protection etc for the higher speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              if you're buying a faster bike i might have to review my suggestions....

i was suggesting good starter gear for a new rider that will do the job without wasting any money, even if you decide to upgrade to something better you can use it as your wet weather gear.

if you want to ride fast, then leather with armour and a boot with a toe slider and better ankle protection etc for the higher speeds.
              Haha DW it was a poorly made joke. Don't plan on riding fast.

Comment

Plenty of helmets avail for $200-250.
                Whats important is shape (internal fit) to fit your head as this varies from brand to brand
                ...check out youtube and this:Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

Falco Boots

Look at apparrell section on here for 2nd hand gear ( buy a new helmet though)
                everything else -what Filbert said

Comment

You don't need to buy a $450+ helmet, but they are worth it. After wearing a helmet for a few hours you can really feel the difference between the cheap and more expensive helmets.

As long as it has the Australian Standards sticker then it's adequate for your safety needs.

Personally I consider gloves towards the top of the list for protection, when you fall, you put out your hands to break your fall, bare hands on the road will soon become bare bones on the road.

Boots with good ankle support are extremely important, they can be the difference between limping for a week versus having your ankle put back together by a doctor.

With the exception of a helmet, keep an eye out for second hand gear.

As a new rider, the best thing to spend money on to make your bike go faster is putting petrol in the tank, and getting more experience on the road.

[*]What do I need to look out for in a helmet? Is a full face safer than a modular?
                  Modular helmets are for Police and old men on touring bikes.
                  Last edited by Speed Dealer; 27-09-2013, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Haha DW it was a poorly made joke. Don't plan on riding fast.
                    You say that now... it'll happen, give it time Just like not riding much except for commuting and when the sun's out
                    Murdercycles turn normally law abiding citizens into goddamn hoons.

Comment

screw the car ride ya bike!!!!!!
                      faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Buy the best helmet you can afford, Usually the more you spend results in more comfort, better ventilation, and features. these better features aid in helping you keep your concentration where it should be.
                        Jacket, i recently bought a new one from Wickedgear in Whitfords, good value, comfortable, and seems to be well made. $200-300would cover it
                        Boots, you betcha, preferably calf length, not laceups (you look like a goose laying under the bike when you pull up at the lights, and a lace hooks up as you put your foot down)
                        Draggin jeans or a decent equivilent are a good idea if you can stretch the budget.
                        Don't forget gloves as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Dealer View Post
                          You don't need to buy a $450+ helmet, but they are worth it. After wearing a helmet for a few hours you can really feel the difference between the cheap and more expensive helmets.
                          In some brands, AGV and Shark for instance, there is a big jump in price when you go from thermoplastic or polycarbonate shell helmets to fibre reinforced plastic (fiberglass). There is nothing really wrong with the cheaper helmet safety wise, but there is a shitload more work involved in a fiberglass helmet so they cost more. They do tend to be comfier and better vented the pricier you go though.

Comment

gloves under $50 Dririder Explorer Gloves | Dririder supastore | Bikebiz

boots calf length under $160 Dririder Storm Waterproof Touring Boot | Bikebiz Dririder Experts

boots/riding shoes for under $140 Dririder Street 1.0 Waterproof Touring Boots | Bikebiz Dririder Experts

all weather jacket for under $180 Dririder Lightning Jacket | Bikebiz |

Comment

All seems like very good advice. Tell me if I get anything wrong:

• Boots - Important - looking around $150-200?
                              • Helmet - Shark 700 (its the only one i've really seen in the flesh) is adequate. Should be looking in the 200 sort of price range. More expensive is usually more comfortable etc, but for my first one I'll probably just tough it out now so I can really appreciate a nice helmet later
                              • Gloves - what should these cost? Was answered just after I typed this! (Under $50 DriRider is good)
                              • Jacket - DriRider is good - Second hand is good - BikeBiz/gumtree is good.

Now, lets talk shops.

Where did you go, were they helpful, and was it cheap?

​THANKS

Comment

Working...
                              X