Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monkey Bikes - WA - Compliance and registration

I've done a search with no luck!

I've had a look into getting a newer-year Honda Z50 Monkey bike imported by an Australian company based in Melbourne who said they also do the compliance work on it, and it's road registrable (at least in Victoria). I've not found any references to Western Australia's regulations on the matter though.

I *did* find a ACCC article on a permanent ban on monkey bikes with UNSAFE DESIGN FEATURES only, assumed being that if it was imported and made compliant (or imported with compliance) there would be no issue. I've found Tonelli MC in NSW has Chinese replicas that can be road registered.

Aside from the ban on unsafely designed monkey bikes, does anyone know themselves, or know where to look, on whether it's possible to road register a Monkey bike in WA? It won't be for general commuting/day to day riding, but definitely a little project bike (with the intent of swapping a few parts to cafe it) for ride events and group gatherings.

Pretty sure I've seen a few on the road in WA with rego plates on them. If a bike get's complianced, which means it passes all relevant ADRs there should be no reason why it cannot be registered in WA.

Comment

Somebody here has one.... possibly [MENTION=22550]bomoto[/MENTION] (or he should know who it is).
      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

I'm just worried that we have some Nanny State laws over here that might not apply elsewhere that stops us. I've not seen any around myself unfortunately.

If the monkey bike falls through, they also import Zoomers (Ruckus) and there's plenty of interesting parts for those.

Comment

Yeah I've got a Tonelli, I bought Chinese because I wanted to fully customise it and didn't want to butcher a genuine Z50 that a purist could restore properly. There was 1 shipment of Skyteams into WA (same bike) and may be some left. I think it was scooters and buggies that brought them in and when Tonelli found out they complained!!

Anyway here's my project so far.

Before:

Current:

I've pulled the 9hp 125cc out and put in a 4 valve 190cc with about 22-25hp!! Should go as good as if not better than a newschool cbr250!!!
          Last edited by bomoto; 02-10-2013, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I know if you are dead keen on a genuine Honda [MENTION=30431]eichkay[/MENTION] has a genuine Gorilla import, but I'm not sure what's involved in getting them regoed??

You certainly can register them, they have to have a compliance plate after 74 (was it??) otherwise earlier models can be registered without. Check out the monkeybikeoz forum, heaps of answers there!!!
            Last edited by bomoto; 02-10-2013, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Someone on a psb lnr ride had a yellow one I remember seeing it. Looks like a lot of fun.

Comment

Yes there was a yellow one on the 7th annerversary ride it went like the clappers

Comment

Originally posted by bomoto View Post
                  Yeah I've got a Tonelli, I bought Chinese because I wanted to fully customise it and didn't want to butcher a genuine Z50 that a purist could restore properly. There was 1 shipment of Skyteams into WA (same bike) and may be some left. I think it was scooters and buggies that brought them in and when Tonelli found out they complained!!

Anyway here's my project so far.

Before:

Current:

I've pulled the 9hp 125cc out and put in a 4 valve 190cc with about 22-25hp!! Should go as good as if not better than a newschool cbr250!!!
                  This is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by LUFFY75 View Post
                    Yes there was a yellow one on the 7th annerversary ride it went like the clappers
                    Yeah that's [MENTION=30431]eichkay[/MENTION]

Comment

The outfit in Melbourne bringing them in will be getting the certified with low level custom rego or something similar if they are fairly new bikes, allowing them to go on the road legally.

My gorilla is pre 1989 so it just required to be imported with DOTARs import approval , I took it over the pits and it passed with ease, no ADR or vin plate required as the bike was a import.

Finding a z50j1 or jz locally can be near on impossible.
                      Captured images here --> Mixed Focus (click here)

Comment

There is another place in nsw that is bringing in the newer fuel injected z50's on request too.

Comment

Hey, [MENTION=30431]eichkay[/MENTION], cheers for the info.

I'm looking at going through the Victorian mob - I'm just trying to convince my Melbourne mate to get out to their showroom and get an idea of what they've got. Apparently they've got about 20 in there at the moment, ranging from $1000 to $8000 depending on model and mods, so I need to know which is best (hopefully at the lower end of the range) as a starting platform for the end product.

Comment

i know nothing about this site but might be worth a look

Monkey Bikes For Sale Section
                            Percute et Percute Velociter
                            Vini Vidi Squishi

Comment

Originally posted by Spike139 View Post
                              i know nothing about this site but might be worth a look

Monkey Bikes For Sale Section
                              Most of the Australian monkey fanatics are on that site. Good knowledge base to ask any questions regarding the little bikes.

Comment

Working...
                              X