Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 KTM 520 - Advice Needed

Morning all,

Got my KTM 520 back after receiving some much needed love from Kamahl. Bike had been sitting around for a while and needed a few things done like carby strip & clean, new seals, throttle cable, new battery etc but is running great now.

However, she's been sitting under a patio with a bike cover on for a while and some surfaces are a bit worse for wear, photos below. Rusted bolts and stuff I'm guessing it's best to replace outright, but for surfaces that are weather worn whats the best way to clean them up?

Also, bike is currently unregistered, and I'm under strict instructions from the boss to sell it. Is it worth going to the trouble of re-registering it or would I be better off selling it as is? (once aesthectic issues are sorted) I'm not up with what these are worth now but wouldn't expect it to be any more than a couple of grand so thinking it may well be best just moving it as is. (given I have the mechanical skills of a brick and a knack for understanding how things work right after I've broken them)

Also not sure if the tyres that are on it are road legal and would actually get over the pits.... Some more pics here. rnelson955's Library | Photobucket

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Definately replace those sprocket and axle clamp bolts with new.
    Good to see a 520 being looked after... I had a 525 and still miss the beast!
    Unsure about rejuvinating surfaces... others will no doubt be able to advise/help here

S.
    Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

i'd just sell it unlic with all the road gear in good condition. For the mess about inspection fee, time off work, organising moving permits or a trailer, paying 6mths rego. You would only get mayb another $500 for it.
      B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by Sprint View Post
        Definately replace those sprocket and axle clamp bolts with new.
        Good to see a 520 being looked after... I had a 525 and still miss the beast!
        Unsure about rejuvinating surfaces... others will no doubt be able to advise/help here

S.

Thanks mate; any idea where the best place to source bolts like that would be?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
          i'd just sell it unlic with all the road gear in good condition. For the mess about inspection fee, time off work, organising moving permits or a trailer, paying 6mths rego. You would only get mayb another $500 for it.

Yes but no...

Why would you buy an unlicensed bike with potential issues that could stop it being rego'd? It might be perfect, and straight forward, but as a buyer, I don't want the hassle.
          Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
          One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
          . .

Comment

Originally posted by Shady7/8 View Post
            Yes but no...

Why would you buy an unlicensed bike with potential issues that could stop it being rego'd? It might be perfect, and straight forward, but as a buyer, I don't want the hassle.
            Yeah, both have their merits I suppose. I think you're right in that selling as is might make it a little harder to sell, but as Mike points out I'd be unlikely to see the money / effort expended back. I'd have the same concerns as you Shady but as mentioned I have limited mechanical skills so someone else may be less concerned by that.

So maybe the best route is try and sell as is (someone may just be looking for a cheap dirt bike that is road register-able later) and if it doesn't sell then spend the extra time & money to get it regoed.

Comment

Well, how much would you want for it as is?

If you spent the time and money to rego it how much would you want for it?

Do the economics make it worth while to do and still be able to sell it for that higher price?

Or is it best to just get rid of it as is without any hassle?

Anyway, how much do you want for it as is?

Comment

Multifix or United Fasteners can supply stainless replacements.
                Looks like your rotor carrier bolts could do with a swap, too.
                Tyres need to be DOT approved for road use.
                Good luck - unsure what the going price is but agree that selling unregistered you'll likely get fleeced.

S.
                Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

What do you think a 12 year old KTM with xxxx amount of kilometres is really worth?

I don't think you will get much more for it with rego...

Comment

I understand your point... but i initially advertised my 525 unregistered and it really limited the interest to near nil.
                    OT: Rich is right - do your research and sums and maximise your nett $$$.

S.

Comment

If it was newer, say 6 years old I would definitely say rego it...

But at 12 years old I not sure how much interest you would have anyway...

The number of people looking for a 12 year old bike will be low, and they won't want to pay much for it...

So if you spend the money and then raise the price you may price it out of their price range...

Comment

Pm me with how much you are chasing for it
                        “Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
                        Hunter S. Thompson

“Everyone looks good riding a motorcycle, although for some, it requires a full-face helmet.”

Comment

Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot View Post
                          Pm me with how much you are chasing for it
                          hahahaha bike will never get licensed
                          B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

For uncoated metal surfaces use 0000 steel wool.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
                              If it was newer, say 6 years old I would definitely say rego it...

But at 12 years old I not sure how much interest you would have anyway...

The number of people looking for a 12 year old bike will be low, and they won't want to pay much for it...

So if you spend the money and then raise the price you may price it out of their price range...
                              Suspect you're probably right Rich; as mentioned was leaning towards getting rid of it as is but thought I'd check with the collective brainpower of PSB first. Reasonable examples on bikesales & gumtree etc seem to be around the $3k+ mark so as you say it's not going to make a huge amount of difference regardless. Having said that when I was looking for mine I looked at some major pieces of shit that people wanted serious money for so there's world of variation in dirt bikes and their condition.

Thanks to all for their help. SirSparks, pm on it's way.

Comment

Working...
                              X