Help When Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help When Needed

On the 21st September I had an accident on my bike on O'Briens Road Gidgegannup, I was lucky enough to have been with some great friends who stayed by my side & organised a trailer & a ride home for me...I was hospitalized for 2 days & had surgery to my knee...
    The point of this thread is that in a 4 hr period & a large number of bikes had passed up & down that rd yet only 2 bikes stopped that day, not sure who the gent was but the lady happened to be aussielass...for that I cannot thank them enough for showing their concern...
    I had 3 other people with me on that day & one so happened to be Trina1...if ever I was in an accident again this is the one person I would want right by my side...she kept me calm by talking with me as did my other friends (being that it was my 1st accident) & ensured that I was ok...& not once left my side except to go & get one of the other riders to make the call to get me home...
    For those who helped me that day & they know who they are...I can never thank you enough for what you did for me...this to me is what true biker friendship is all about....perhaps sometimes we all lose site of this....but at the end of the day to me it is & always will be a unique friendship & bond that I will always treasure...we should be thankful for what we have..& I too would do the same for anyone of my friends...
    MSTGSLY = Must Go Slowly

I had heard you had gone down a few days later in an off the cuff remark from Aussielass, maybe in the spotted thread?. We live nearby and could have offered a trailer and trip home.

It sounds like you had just enough people with you, you don't want lots of people to stop, it clogs up the road and makes it unsave, with the possibility of more riders coming a cropper, especially where it was that you came down.

Hope your healing goes well and you can get back out there and get your confidence back.

The ladies were on a ride on Sunday and one of the cruisers went off road, luckily we only had to drag the bike out of the ditch and continue on our merry way.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
      I had heard you had gone down a few days later in an off the cuff remark from Aussielass, maybe in the spotted thread?. We live nearby and could have offered a trailer and trip home.

It sounds like you had just enough people with you, you don't want lots of people to stop, it clogs up the road and makes it unsave, with the possibility of more riders coming a cropper, especially where it was that you came down.

Hope your healing goes well and you can get back out there and get your confidence back.

The ladies were on a ride on Sunday and one of the cruisers went off road, luckily we only had to drag the bike out of the ditch and continue on our merry way.
      I didnt have your contact details Stoneville otherwise I would have...yes you are right it would have probably caused more problems...
      Still healing but slowly....not sure about my bike as yet....confidence will be the big thing...as soon as I have a job I will definitely be doing one of those trakdayz...
      Sorry to hear you had a rider go down...hope she is ok too...
      MSTGSLY = Must Go Slowly

Comment

Glad you're ok and you had people with you.

With respect to stopping, the golden rule is; if someone is already attending and you cannot offer anything over and above what is currently being offered (i.e. you're trained in first aid or you have a trailer etc), then continue on. A mass of bikes parked up on a corner is a recipe for disaster, and TBH most people just stand around kicking the dirt and saying "fark" alot whilst contributing nothing.

Also, many would think it's none of their business and would feel nosey if they were to stop.

However, if I came across an accident and no one was there to assist then for sure I would stop, but if there's people there then I would continue on.

I only mention the above as a point of clarification/explanation as you said the point of the thread was that only 2 people stopped.

Comment

Very pleased to see you're able to post up here after having an off. I'm also in the area and will always help in the hills if I am able (zero four zero nine six eight six five nine seven), but in small defense of anybody that did not stop, if it is immediately clear an issue is being dealt with, it is often best not to stop and I would recommend people without first aid or some sort of accident management experience do not get involved if there is already assistance on hand. More people on an accident site can frequently be more of a hindrance than anything else.
          such comment
          wow
          many post

Comment

Am glad I was there for you Shelley.... Thing is when I had to go get the other rider you were left with only a 16 yr learner rider and no reception on your phone and no one was any the wiser there were others meant to be with you.... The old people that stopped and offered drinks and the younger couple who also offered help were lovely ... Can't wait to go riding with you again

Comment

Sorry to hear about that Sally.

What kind of state were you in when all these bikes were going past? I'm sure that if you were unconscious with the bike on it's side then more people would have stopped. Would take a rather callous person to ride past a serious looking accident, but people pull over to the side of the road for a rest all the time, so this is how it may have looked to other riders who were probably doing warp speed through there. Still nice if people at least do the whole "you alright?" glance over until you acknowledge either yes or no.

Glad you got help though.

Onya Rach
              Last edited by Huggy; 07-10-2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks huggy
                I had injured my leg but not sure as to how bad until I actually got to the hospital, underwent surgery & 2 weeks later still on crutches with sore ribs still
                I have to admit only very few riders nodded others just kept going...but we did the right thing & moved our bikes to the opposite side of the road so that another accident wouldn't occur...
                Hey at least we got a bit of a sun tan that day lol
                By the end of the day we were starving lol
                MSTGSLY = Must Go Slowly

Comment

Ahh bugger. How's the bike?

Always good to move the bike/s away from the corner, as the laws of target fixation may mean someone else will head towards them and suffer the same fate...

If the bikes were upright then there's a fair chance that's why no one bothered to look twice. Don't lose faith in other motorcyclists, most are helpful people

Comment

Haven't heard as yet about my bike not that it matters still can't ride lol
                    Ahhhh yes they were all upright so can now see your point there huggy...I haven't lost faith
                    Just need confidence & my bike or a new one lol
                    MSTGSLY = Must Go Slowly

Comment

You bought it new didn't you? Insurance (hopefully you had it?) should fetch you a new one

Comment

Yes it was new, depends on how much damage was done & the cost of the parts, that's what I'm waiting to hear on
                        Be nice to get a new one again then I will be extra careful not to drop her lol
                        My other one was named Sally so if I get a new one going to call her Sally 2 point 0 haha
                        MSTGSLY = Must Go Slowly

Comment

Not hard to write off a faired bike. The cost of parts adds up quite quickly. I've never been able to do it, but have come close more than once

Originally posted by Mustang Sally View Post
                          Be nice to get a new one again then I will be extra careful not to drop her lol
                          Well if you all want to do is ride around Sally, I guess you better slow your mustang down

Comment

Oh very appropriate there huggy...haha
                            I was doing the speed limit when I crashed lol
                            But believe me I will be going a tad slower in future
                            MSTGSLY = Must Go Slowly

Comment

Pretty sure [MENTION=38514]DailyBanana[/MENTION] deserves the credit too. He was the 'gent' that stopped. no harm in asking if people are ok. Being locals to the area we know obriens is dangerous. Cant be to careful, added ths the fact we both live fairly close by means we coumdve offered some help. Sorry to hear about your off. Thanks for the appreciation. Heal up and get back out there. Glad your ok as well.
                              Originally posted by DailyBanana
                              That little girl likes her pizza more than you like people

Comment

Working...
                              X