Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

filtering around the outside of right turning traffic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filtering around the outside of right turning traffic?

opinions?
    good idea
    30.23%
    disagree
    46.51%
    dont care
    23.26%
    Originally posted by Bendito
    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

do it at Lord St / Reid Hwy intersection all the time.

Comment

What do you mean by "the outside"? Do you mean to the right or to the left?

Comment

Dangerous IMO as most people seem to just swing left without looking into the left lane instead of going into the RH lane and then indicating across like they are supposed to :o Saying that most people wouldn't be expecting a vehicle to be overtaking them around the LH side on a RH bend/corner I've seen a couple try it and nearly get taken out on the right turn from Reid into Malaga Dr, either nearly pushed into the curb or into the lane turning the opposite way toward Noranda :o
        #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
        Originally posted by Phildo
        Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
        Originally posted by filbert
        i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
        Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

nope, I don't do it. It is the longest line through the corner = more exposure time and no escape routes (hard up against a kerb) if something goes wrong/commonwhore owner decides to plant it. There's also less margin for error as there's only the space from the right wheel track to the kerb and more chance of getting clipped, whereas splitting two lanes you have the space either side of the wheel tracks and so effectively double your space.

edit: I'll split two lanes of turning traffic between the two lanes (there's more options and choice of two lanes to pull into)... but now I think about it, I do turn on the outside of the one lane turning right from Berwick onto GEH but I make sure I assert myself and am a little bit over the line to get a head start as I perceive the risk to be higher (only if shit goes wrong, I have no concerns about being able to take off faster than a car and hold my line) than splitting two lanes of turning traffic from the middle. But as a general rule, no I don't.
          Last edited by Kristy; 10-10-2013, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Is your ass so do it if you want but I choose not to filter to an intersection where it is not a straight ahead launch.
            The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

Comment

Some I do and some I don't. If I don't filter to the front I filter til there is a gap between cars so I'm not next to anyone during the actual turn.

Comment

Originally posted by g0zer View Post
                opinions?
                Were you turning off Canning Bridge at about 4pm? I didn't mind at all

Oh...wrong bike.

Comment

Not sure on the question.

At a set of lights, i'll pull up between the lanes launch it and turn right?

If it's raining/greasy and there's a WRX or EVO on the line i might reconsider

edit:
                  wheelie optional
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I take it you mean when there is a long arse line on a 1 lane only turning right? Yes I filter up on the left as far as I can go then get into the biggest gap ready to turn right

Comment

So that you are all aware you can legally turn to either lane when going right. Code changed in about 2000.
                      I have often seen people do this and would never do it myself. Dont mind splitting going straight but if you dont launch quick enough your gonna be toast. And then you go too quick and its entertainment for all.

Comment

Don't care if you do, not my thing though.

Comment

Originally posted by HIHO View Post
                          So that you are all aware you can legally turn to either lane when going right. Code changed in about 2000.
                          I have often seen people do this and would never do it myself. Dont mind splitting going straight but if you dont launch quick enough your gonna be toast. And then you go too quick and its entertainment for all.
                          Sure. I'm going to be 3 car lengths ahead by then.

Also - you are not allowed to change lanes into people - you're only allowed to do that, presumably when the lane next to you is CLEAR. I.e., changing lane into a car is not allowed. bike no different.

edit:
                          YMMV, if you can't ride, don't do it, etc...
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by g0zer View Post
                            opinions?
                            Single lane fwy off ramp with lights? And a truck at the front of the que loaded... Yep. That may of been me.

Comment

yep.

so long as there is room, and I wont obstruct/be struct by traffic continuing straight ahead, sure.

if its just a few cars, probably not worth it. used to do it at reid onto fwy north all the time.
                              The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X