How is your speed determined?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is your speed determined?

How is the speed of a motorcycle calculated?

I have a Hyosung GT250 2010 EFI

I've had my P plates for almost 7 months, and when I first started riding solo i went through the Albany Highway / Leach Highway intersection and i was flashed by the camera.
    Now i was doing 58 in a 60 zone (according to my digital speedo) but i was still flashed, although i never got a ticket in the mail...
    I was flashed again by a different camera and on both occasions i was the only one in the intersection.

When riding with my friends, he pulled up beside me and shouted "Do i know the speed limit?" Because my speedo said i was doing 90 in a 90 zone, but he said i was doing 83.
    My riding instructor, said that "66" on my speedo is actually 60??? Now if i got pulled for doing 110 and told the cop that 110 on my bike is actually 100, he wouldnt believe me and would probably yellow sticker me.

I was riding down leach highway a few months ago, riding next to a car with a digital speedo and i could see as bright as day that he was doing 64 and i was doing 70 and i was next to him for about 200 meters so i can keep checking his speedo.

Riding to my gf's last week, i was travelling at 74km on leach highway and seen the upcoming speed camera so i slowed down and had about 100 meters to go, i was sitting on 66km and kept looking at my speedo, i was going 66km for at least 75 meters and the camera flashed me in a 70 zone??

When im on the kwinana freeway going to rockingham, im travelling at 100km the whole way with my cruise control tool and all the cars are overtaking me.

Ive downloaded iPhone GPS speed calculator apps and they all give the reading, that 66km on my bike is actually 60 like my instructor said.

I still havent received any tickets, but what the hell?
    - XolituDe (Rick)

mines governed by my right wrist

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

The Italian physicist Galileo Galilei is credited with being the first to measure speed by considering the distance covered and the time it takes. Galileo defined speed as the distance covered per unit of time. In equation form, this is

where v is speed, d is distance, and t is time. A cyclist who covers 30 metres in a time of 2 seconds, for example, has a speed of 15 metres per second. Objects in motion often have variations in speed (a car might travel along a street at 50 km/h, slow to 0 km/h, and then reach 30 km/h).

On a serious note I was always told that bikes are inaccurate to within about 10% of true speed, while cars being within 2%
      Originally posted by Rich...
      You got me in trouble...

Comment

Yeah, my GT250R's speedo over read by about 10% over the range.

Get a SpeedoHealer or mount a GPS somewhere and compare it to your speedo so you know the difference.
        "Who the hell steals a Ninja 250?"
        "People who enjoy the rush of theft but dislike the rush of speed..."

Comment

Originally posted by ms_enj View Post
          Yeah, my GT250R's speedo over read by about 10% over the range.

Get a SpeedoHealer or mount a GPS somewhere and compare it to your speedo so you know the difference.
          I have an iPhone mount on my handle bars so i can look at my map when going places, and installed a load of different GPS speed calculators, they all give the same reading.
          Bike: 66km on the clock
          Phone: 60km from GPS

All the applications ive used give the same reading, but would they be more accurate than my speedo?
          - XolituDe (Rick)

Comment

Your bike's speedo is designed to read high, as directed by Australian design Rules. The general margin for error is 5-10%

You can fix this by buying a speedo healer. They're about $60 I think? Pretty easy to install too.
            Originally posted by Desmo
            Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

In all fairness -the ADR's (Australian design rules) allow for a 10% speedo error. Whether its your speedo or the speedo's of others that is out - not sure? If you have re-geared your bike or the other people have re-geared theirs that would probably give us one solution.

Comment

heres a question, if your bike is reading higher than it should you might of had it re-geared

edit: beaten by [MENTION=8366]out_in_front[/MENTION] :'(
                Originally posted by Rich...
                You got me in trouble...

Comment

Personally ive never had it re-geared, don't know about the previous owner.
                  - XolituDe (Rick)

Comment

Originally posted by XolituDe View Post

All the applications ive used give the same reading, but would they be more accurate than my speedo?
                    Yes.

Your bike's speedo is reading slightly high. I put a speedohealer on my bike and can correct this error myself.

Stress less, all is good.

Also, if you use the search engine you'll probably find further discussion on this topic as it comes up a lot. As does the getting flashed by fixed cameras when doing the speed limit or below. This is also nothing to worry about.

Comment

I'm about 90% sure my cars speedo is around 12ks slower then everyone else's. Would this stuff work with my car as well?

Comment

Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
                        In all fairness -the ADR's (Australian design rules) allow for a 10% speedo error. Whether its your speedo or the speedo's of others that is out - not sure? If you have re-geared your bike or the other people have re-geared theirs that would probably give us one solution.
                        This is not correct as per current standards. Your speedo may only over read never under read.
                        In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Originally posted by thatchick View Post
                          I'm about 90% sure my cars speedo is around 12ks slower then everyone else's. Would this stuff work with my car as well?
                          12kms, at what speed?

If you're finding that other cars seem to be going faster than you while you're coasting at what your speedo says is the limit, then your speedo is probably closer to being about right.

One of the easiest ways to figure out your speedo error is to download a speedo app to your iphone, and have a friend view it as you're driving.
                          For best results try and hold a constant speed. Use the difference between what the gps on your phone is saying your speed is, and what your speedo is saying to determine how many percent it is out by.

Comment

Originally posted by Huggy View Post
                            12kms, at what speed?
                            I've had someone drive alongside me on a 100k road and while I thought I was doing 100, my mate said I was doing 88 according to theirs? Driving at 100k I have those huge trucks that everyone else overtakes, overtake me

Comment

Been flashed by the same camera numerous times and other "red light" cameras. Think it might be a bike thing and they set them off by mistake.

Comment

Working...
                              X