Bike found, numbers scratched off. now what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike found, numbers scratched off. now what

Well my bike has been found, from what police have told me is it looks in good condition minus a key barrel, plates and chassis number scratched off, yet to go down and see if it will runmy next question is what do I do, does it need to be re registered, have new chassis number stamped on ?, do I need to phone dpi ?please advise me on what I do next. thanks Marti

I'm not certain but I would think insurance would write it off or replace the frame.

But if not insured you would have to replace the frame I guess and license that one with your engine number etc.
    2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
    2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
    2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
    2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
    2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
    2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

Really, cant I just take it back to the dealer and get them to relicensed it stamp the numbers back on. bike isn't wrecked ? I would of thought it was like a stolen car, just go get it re registered ?

Comment

I'm not sure that dealers will rest stamp a bike, it's normally done when it's manufactured and also it tends to be done in a technique that Varies from little dots forming a number or letter, it's normally pretty complex

Comment

ok ill need to phone a dealer and dpi on Monday and see what needs to be done

Comment

Shouldn't be too complex. I've had truck and trailers modified then had manufacturers send me the me stamps with adjusted GCMs..

Give the dealer a call and let them know your story. Were you insured?

Comment

no wasn't insured. if the bike is in decent condition still then I will get it insured this time around, would the bike being stolen and recovered cause me any problems with an insurances company ?

Comment

If the bike wasn't insured, and if the rego didn't lapse / you didn't cancel it, just pick it up, fix it up and ride it.

Engineering firms have punches to re-do the VIN if you need.
                Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

well I want to do this legally, just incase I do get pulled over or anything like that

Comment

I bought a bike with vin and engine number removed, DPI said not a big issue, keep the police report to show back story, biggest loss is resale, hard to resell later.

Comment

Originally posted by Marti View Post
                      well I want to do this legally, just incase I do get pulled over or anything like that
                      Nothing illegal about what I suggested. Just get a new plate too, hand in what's left of your old one or sign a stat dec if there isn't one at all.

It's your property.
                      Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                      1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Pretty much covered as far as getting around the number stamping, but worth noting that when you insure the vehicle you have obligations to report existing damage that could affect the cost to the insurer in a subsequent claim.

Informing them of the damage if there is any that you haven't repaired or are unable to repair and how it occurred may affect premiums and they may refuse to insure you due to perceived risk, but if you don't inform them it may void a future claim if they find out and they sometimes do.

It may be worth seeking professional personalised legal advice on your obligations and how they pertain to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) of prospective insurers.
                        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

ride it like u stole it?

Comment

thanks for the info, much appreciated. recommend a good insurance company that wont bend me over ?

Comment

Originally posted by Marti View Post
                              thanks for the info, much appreciated. recommend a good insurance company that wont bend me over ?
                              No such thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X