Headphones while riding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphones while riding?

Just wondering if many people on here wear them while riding or what the general opinion on them is?

I used them today for the first time in years. I needed to get to a bike shop after work to pick up some lube for the chain but I didnt know how to get there. So I slipped my iphone into the clear pocket on my tank bag and plugged my earphones in and used the sat nav on it to get to the bike shop. It was ok as I could hear the directions clearly but probably a bit too loud but I couldnt adjust that while I was riding so should have tested the volume first before riding.

After I picked up what i needed in the bike shop I started playing songs on the iphone and then activated the sat nav to get me home. Tested the volume this time and off I went. I thought It was pretty good , hard to hear at motorway speeds and it was a bit distracting cos I started singing and wasnt as observant of what was going on behind and to the sides of me as I normally would so not sure if I will be wearing them again for a while. But I think this would probably be different if you were listening to the radio on them or something instead?

The other thing I noticed is that it is really easy to forget you have them on so when your getting off your bike and if they are plugged into your tank bag dont forget to take them off instead of getting whiplash like me!

But be warned, this happened to me straight away after using them! lol
    Funny motorcycle guy we saw! - YouTube

I'm not a fan, I have used them on long trips...

Comment

I use the iPhone head phones that have the volume adjuster and mic in it so you can change your songs by voice command and turn the volume up and down. I only ever have it down low making sure that I can still here everything around me and only when going for a decent ride.

Comment

tried it on the bike... not a fan.

even on the postie round (3-6 hours at 10km/h) i dont do it very often.
        The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

I used to and on long rides I still will.
          Usually now I just wear moulded ear plugs as I found music to distracting specially on spirited rides.
          B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Use them regularly for music and GPS together with no issues, avoid them on freeways or new roads. I can still hear everything around me so it doesn't interfere too much

Comment

Im always riding back and fourth from Vic Park to Rockingham which is a 100km round trip to see my GF, holding the throttle at 100kph down Roe Hwy and Kwinana Fwy gets boring after 2 minutes so yeah i use earphones a lot, probably not so frequent anymore as my iPhone broke today :/
              - XolituDe (Rick)

Comment

I use them, and can use my MP3 player through my pants pocket since it has big buttons.

Although I recently got a SENA headset, and it is a lot nicer to use.

Comment

Love using canalphones (the ones you stick inside your ears). They block out road noise saving your hearing, and you can listen to music at the same volume as you would in a quiet room.

Really not a fan of anything that doesn't block outside noise, as you end up competing for volume and just make any potential hearing loss worse and happen more quickly.
                  For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                  For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

I use Sennheiser in-ear noise-cancelling headphones and turn them up loud. Apart from sirens coming after you (which frequent mirror checks address) I don't know what else you want to hear aside from the sound of your exhaust. Play the right type of music and travel the right speed and I'd wager your reflexes are never better.
                    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Same as Barfridge. Use them all the time listening to music and navigation. Ive always found that I focus better with music playing. When I started out though, it took me a while to get used to it.
                      How do blind people know when to stop wiping?

Comment

I use ear plugs for the bs sounds and uclear bt for phone and music - can hear enough around me for sit awareness and enjoy the boring trips up and down the Kwinana. Habit now, get pissed off when I forget to charge the bastard...

Comment

Use them on every commute, since standing in traffic means you can hear the music, by all means I should hear my music and it entertains me. On spirited rides I can hear shit from them, but every now and then the slow portions do allow me to hear something. After a while its like the radio in your car, you just dont pay attention to the music unless there is nothing else to pay attention to.

Comment

used to.
                            am now partially deaf and had severe tinnitus last year, so bad i couldn't sleep. it's now better, but still there.

i now use ear plugs. every time.
                            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I used to use the in ear headphones, but recently switched to a set of slim speakers that stick to the inside of the helmet. I can still hear a bit of road noise, but can adjust the volume on my Ipod shuffle.
                              Makes it much easier to hear polce, ambo sirens etc. The Ipod shuffle clips straight onto my bag or jacket which is handy as well
                              Take It Easy & If Its Easy, Take it Twice

Comment

Working...
                              X