Plastic welding fairings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic welding fairings

I had a low slide and broke the left side of my tail fairing, I've since found a a replacement piece but I need to plastic weld it to the right hand side... Does anyone know of somewhere I can get this done?

[MENTION=8418]potato[/MENTION] can help you out maybe PM him
    Originally posted by Rich...
    You got me in trouble...

Comment

You can also do it yourself with a soldering iron and a strip of old plastic or a cable tie for filler.
      RR VRT #100
      Sponsors Wanted.
      Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
      A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:

Comment

What about glass and resin?

Would roughing up the plastic until it is quite course and then reinforce/join for the rear of the panel?
        Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ReCon View Post
          What about glass and resin?

Would roughing up the plastic until it is quite course and then reinforce/join for the rear of the panel?
          This is the strongest way to do it, unless it's a very small crack.

Anything that's structural (mounting points or tabs) will have to be reinforced too, otherwise they can fatigue and crack off over time.
          "Who the hell steals a Ninja 250?"
          "People who enjoy the rush of theft but dislike the rush of speed..."

Comment

Originally posted by ms_enj View Post

Anything that's structural (mounting points or tabs) will have to be reinforced too, otherwise they can fatigue and crack off over time.
            OI , just cause i was nice to you in the other thread , dont you go be white ant-ing me

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Originally posted by potato View Post
              OI , just cause i was nice to you in the other thread , dont you go be white ant-ing me
              I'm sorry everyone. In future, if there are any questions relating to paint and panel, please ask [MENTION=8418]potato[/MENTION] and ONLY potato...

I'll return to the kitchen now, where I rightfully belong!
              "Who the hell steals a Ninja 250?"
              "People who enjoy the rush of theft but dislike the rush of speed..."

Comment

Only issue with this is fiberglass doesn't flex. There is flexible 2 part products on the market that are great for fixing fairings if u know what your doing.
                B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

I'm sorry everyone. In future, if there are any questions relating to paint and panel, please ask potato and ONLY potato...

I'll return to the kitchen now, where I rightfully belong!
                  something smells nice

dianella 93703770

Comment

Anyone know anywhere that does this around freo? I have a chain brake bar off a chainsaw that needs repairing

Comment

For something with that much strain on it might be better to replace it.
                      Failing that another option depending where it's broken drill a hole in each bit and put a piece of metal rod in it like a dowel pin then superglue
                      B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

it just started a split thru the middle cause of the cheap thin plastic they use. I was going to get whomever to do a weave of bead on the back of it to reinforce it aswell. I might have a stab at it myself with the soldering iron and cable tie method. will a 20w electronics iron be sufficient tho?

Comment

Theres a place in Belmont on newlyn st does plastic welding and paint for motorcycles. can't think at the moment what the name is will find out today

Comment

The book " Plastic Fix " is brilliant and taught me plastic repair of all types very well. Most importantly identifying what type of plastic you have and matching the rod to it to get the correct weld. There are thousands of plastics, matching the rod is critical.

Comment

how old is that book?

these days with technology going the way it is

plastic welding is becoming like lead wiping, old technology

half the suggestions written around here on plastic welding remind me of a pair of old blokes sitting around discussing how too's

dianella 93703770

Comment

Working...
                              X