Isle of man TT 2014 Holiday.. school me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isle of man TT 2014 Holiday.. school me

So im looking at going to the TT next year, but i need some help. anyone here been before that can lend some insight info on where to stay/what to do/where to go etc. thinking ill head to england, travel over to ireland then to isle of man. back to ireland for a week to explore (where is good and whats to do in ireland) then maybe back to london or paris.. undecided. any info would be great

I hope you have booked accom already, everything books out early and I mean ages ago.

But eh! I could be wrong.

Comment

Had a couple of mates head over this year. So I can only comment on what they have said. They booked a shipping container that was converted into a small apartment. Very expensive!! Also heared people on the island open up there homes as like a hostel so you get bed and breakfast for a set fee. Also if your planning to head to the back side of the island up in the hills leave plenty of time because some first time rider will think he is racing and crash causing the road to be shut down and then your stuck.

Also looking at this trip myself so keen to hear any experiences.

Comment

[MENTION=6683]optimal[/MENTION] shot over this year for it and by all accounts, had a fantastic time.
        Rented a bike in London and took it over to IOM with him... Maybe he can lend some tips, provided you can find the accommodation!

Other than that, pleeeeenty to do in London... Can do almost anything you can think of, it offers pretty much everything.
        Not sure about Ireland, haven't been.
        Last edited by Dirty32; 22-10-2013, 08:24 PM. Reason: Poor spelling!

Comment

I was born and raised in the Isle of Man so hopefully can help...

First thing's first, book your ferry now, and I mean now! (I assume you will take a bike/car over as there is virtually no public transport to all the good parts of the TT circuit). There is only one ferry operator with is the Steam Packet (Isle of Man Steam Packet Company) and the dates around TT get exponentially more expensive and full into the new year.

Accommodation is actually easy, most people either stay in B&B's or camp. There are no real hotels on the island and for the best experience I would reccomend staying at one of the many camp sites (bring your own tent). Ideally you'll want to be staying near Douglas (the capital) because thats where all the entertainment (beer tent),festivals and of course the pitlane is.

For watching the race there are about 4 main spot you NEED to see; the first is the end of the start finish straight, just as they fly down Brae Hill, the second is probably the Bridge (read: Epic Jump) at Ballaugh, the third is Ramsay, either the hairpin or just above at the start of the mount section. The final section is the mountain section itself. The best place there is around Snaefell (and is where the electric tram stops). From there you get a wicked view of them snaking around the mountains before blasting off down the straight in front of you. There are also ammenities there which most other sites dont have. There are of course heaps of other hidden gems to watch from, but won't give those away on the interwebs

Um...anything else?
          Ryan

Originally posted by Aufitt
          Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

Comment

In terms of travel arrangements, we went last year and did IOM as part of a euro trip. Started in London then up to Liverpool and caught the ferry across to the island. Stayed for a week and then flew on to Dublin.

We stayed south of Douglas in a BnB. Caught a bus into town and were within walking distance from some good view points as well as the main race paddock. It was awesome but I would definitely acquire a mode of transport to get around if I were to do it again. We were on a tight budget, so we made do with walking. Also, as previously mentioned, the accom books out ultra fast but we managed to get a cancelation about three months before we left! So maybe keep that in mind when looking for places.

I also looked into the camping option but it seemed too impractical when you consider having to lug over tents, bedding, warm/rain proof clothes.. especially if you're heading elsewhere after the TT. May be different if you had your own transport for the whole trip?

Definitely worth it though mate, easily the most insane racing you'll see. Just the atmosphere even after the races is awesome.. and you can walk around drooling over bikes all day. Where else can you stand 2m from a race bike doing 250+ k's past your face!

Comment

[MENTION=20214]98kellrs[/MENTION] sums It up fairly well, I booked through Pole Position Travel, they took care of everything except for the bike hire from London. I had the VIP package that Included meeting the racers, access to the start grid/ Pit Lane & the Winners Circle, fast lap In the course car (F***king awesome) 140 MPH In a car around those roads :-) can't recommend these people highly enough, was worth every cent, approx. $6,500 for room @ Sefton Hotel Douglas (best rooms around IMO) Ferry, most meals, & a LOT of free piss. Do yourself a favour & go!!!
              Farrider #41
              I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings,
              I'm a drunk, I go to parties.

Comment

I went this year and in 2011 (and had a beer with young Optimal on senior race day). I posted up about it a while ago. Hunt my thread down and read it. Also, just about everything you need to know is on IOMTT.com (funnily enough).
                Christie. 1972-2012. RIP my dear friend. Never forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock View Post
                  I went this year and in 2011 (and had a beer with young Optimal on senior race day). I posted up about it a while ago. Hunt my thread down and read it. Also, just about everything you need to know is on IOMTT.com (funnily enough).
                  "Young Optimal" You need glasses more than I do [MENTION=10672]Rock[/MENTION]......lol
                  Farrider #41
                  I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings,
                  I'm a drunk, I go to parties.

Comment

Hey [MENTION=37401]Wrench[/MENTION] are you still planning on going this year?? I have booked my flights to Europe so I'll be hitting this up for sure I am also going to see the northwest 200 in port rush and aswell the MotoGP in Barcelona Spain I'm doing this trip on my own so any company would be nice to catch up with and all the info would be nice has anyone been to the other races I mentioned? Maybe [MENTION=6683]optimal[/MENTION] or [MENTION=20214]98kellrs[/MENTION]? If so, what would you recommend? Hope everyone in Australia is well! I miss being out and about on my bike!!
                    Originally posted by Manyak
                    People are now geocaching at ride meet points.. I blame you for this shit Canada!

Comment

What sort of dollars would I be looking at to go?
                      "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
                        What sort of dollars would I be looking at to go?
                        Im not sure the cost... I'm on a two month trip and just going to wing it if anyone knows me well enough, they know it will be a crazy ass epic adventure haha! I'm also flying in from Canada to London and catching flights from there! Ryan air does decently cheap flights around Europe. I also haven't really got a budget... It's way nicer to travel with no limits
                        Originally posted by Manyak
                        People are now geocaching at ride meet points.. I blame you for this shit Canada!

Comment

Working...
                        X