Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha MT-03 Review

Hello hello
    Today i just ticked over my 3000km mark on my new Yamaha MT-03 and since i've not been able to see any really informative reviews from everyday riders on it i've taken it upon myself to make one. I've had the bike just over a month or maybe a touch more and ive had my butt on the seat at some stage every day of it. i dont know if anyone really cares but its worth a little read for all the other LAMS blokes(and gals?)

Ill start with the Acceleration of the bike..
    If you want a bike that can sit at the lights and shoot off like a rocket to get to the next red light first then have to deal with the awkwardness of the other cars pulling up next to you again then the MT-03 will do it with ease. It picks up speed well for a single cylinder 660cc machine and can hold it rather well. if you want to 'shoot the gap' on the freeway or highway and your already doing 90+ kmh, have a quick glance and rip the throttle and youll fly through the gap. the most frustrating thing about the accleration and more then likely the whole bike is the massive jerking and jumping that goes on when you completely let go of the throttle (for exampe in second gear at 50 Kmh) and you go to re apply the throttle the tinest bit to move in traffic the bike will jerk and jolt. can be very frustraing when taking a corner and trying to ease onto the throttle as you enter or as you leave.

Next ill go with Handling.
    having the handle bars up so high and broad i can literally compare it to riding a BMX bike.. with a motor.. and alot more power.. and it weighs 190ish KGs wet.
    you feel very confident taking the bike into corners at speed and come out of them with a quick rip of the trottle. it leans quite well and lets you move and flow with each bend. when you need to do an 'o-turn' dont even worry about it, turn the handle bars use the clutch and itll just roll around and feel perfectly balanced. It weaves aroound traffic with easy and feels like it falls into tight and small corners.

Apperance is next
    I dont really see many bike that look like it. its qwerky and funky looking. and thats why i loved it (i did not buy the bike on looks) The shock in the middle really sets off the bike and catches alot of peoples eyes. the bars can be changed to what ever color you like for that added curb appeal. The naked look of the bike really works and ive had many many people stop and ask all about it because they just hadnt seen something like it. one of the ones ive heard a bit is 'Every man and his dog seems to have some sort of super bike, its nice to see a change'. the big fat tyre on the back and under the seat exhaust makes the bum end of the bike look quite sexy.

next is Comfort of the bike
    i had a CBR 250R before this bike and i rode around a friends GSxR-750R for a week and i cant really compare it to them because of them being Sports bikes and mine being a Motard sort of thing. I can say the seat is comfortable, the upright postition is very easy on the back and arms, it feels very light underneath you, there is a bit of vibration when your in the higher revs but i guess thats the same with any bike? its easy to get on and off and you can plant your feet firmly on the ground with ease. im 6.0' and my knees bend with my feet flat on the ground

Im not sure what to call this one but ill go with 'Ridability'
    The bike is a great city bike and urban rider sort of thing, itll zip around anywhere and get you from A-B safely. its good on fuel...ish i get just shy of 200kms to a tank at the moment and its a 15L tank, i pay $8 everyday to fill it up with 98. The wind resistnce of the biike is very poor being such an upright bike, if its a windy day and your doing a highway commute your gonna fuckin know about it, youll be getting knocked all over the place like you did on your little 250. it sucks and causes serious neck soreness if its a long long ride. (mine usually take about an hour to get to work). the brakes work well for what the bike is and the engine does the trick for a LAMS bike.

MY Overall opinion (not yours)
    For me i dont have a massive fetish for going fast. i have my SS ute for when i want to get onto a freeway and go quick. I wanted a beefy bike bike that can go quick in small areas and make a fuck load of noise doing it ( it makes this lovely little pop off noise when your slowing down and going through gears a bit like..BUM BUDABUM *POP* bum ba*POP**POP*)and that just makes anyone feel like a boss..right? if you want to go fast on the long roads then dont get the MT-03. ive had it up to 169 and that was pretty good for me. The MT-03 for me was something so different and new that i took it for a test ride..25 minutes later i bought it. I love the bike to death. it goes fast when it needs to and can go slow and steady when it needs to. it skips traffic easily and makes short work of take off's. The front wheel comes up when you pop the clutch and the back skids out when you kick the rear brake. for me its fun, funky and makes me look forward to going to work every morning. very highly recommended Im happy for anyone to ask questions and pick my review to bits. let me know what you all think.

Cool looking bikes, I think they were mostly ignored by the nation because it's a 7 year old design with a 2013 price-tag.

Originally posted by elb94 View Post
    the most frustrating thing about the accleration and more then likely the whole bike is the massive jerking and jumping that goes on when you completely let go of the throttle
    That's ride-by-wire for you. Yamaha haven't really got that quite sorted. Apparently it's an issue on the upcoming MT-09 as well, which is a damn shame.

Comment

pics please
      Can you help with foster care?
      http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

In my opinion a single cylinder bike and fly by wire throttle should not be mixed. Its the same combo that ruined the 690 duke for me. with the engine characteristics and how stupidly touchy fly by wire is, its makes them horrible to ride at small throttle openings. Shame really.
        Motorbikes run on fire and air. Its elemental -Matt Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by pley3r View Post
          In my opinion a single cylinder bike and fly by wire throttle should not be mixed. Its the same combo that ruined the 690 duke for me. with the engine characteristics and how stupidly touchy fly by wire is, its makes them horrible to ride at small throttle openings. Shame really.
          it really does and its a massive pain in the ass when you just touch the throttle and it bounces you forward, can make you look quite silly sometimes haha

Comment

well written review ty!
            faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Explosion View Post
              pics please
              hopefully the pic worked
              Last edited by elb94; 26-10-2013, 09:53 PM. Reason: wrong link twice

Comment

Just out of curiousity,How much are these wonderful machines?

Comment

Could you chuck a powercommander and full pipe on it? And possibly slow the throttle opening with the powercommandwr?

Comment

I want to see knobys on it and blasting through some desert , I has that look about it .
                    REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                    (anarchy in english )

Comment

Originally posted by saj View Post
                      from what i can see, Yamaha says $9,990 ride away
                      I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. A very good balanced review (rare with new bike owners).
                        If it indeed makes you smile each morning when you are about to head off to work....then you have a beautie. Enjoying your ride is what this whole m/bike business is all about. I'm sure there are many litre plus boys out there who wish commuting was more fun and less pose. 660cc is ample. Stay safe.
                        Justine.... Always and Forever

Comment

Originally posted by twiz View Post
                          Could you chuck a powercommander and full pipe on it? And possibly slow the throttle opening with the powercommandwr?
                          There's probably a way to alter the fly-by-wire sensitivity anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by saj View Post
                            Mine was 9990 ride away nothing else to pay. Highway yamaha paid for my rego and any of the fees that came with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by twiz View Post
                            I'd have to go in and ask instore and hope it does. Maybe it might be a quick fix.

Comment

Its not the speed of the throttle opening its the complete lack of resistance fly by wire has. The first cars that had it used to be like this, the newer ones are fine now, the manufacturers added some resistance, problem solved Just wish bike makers would hurry up and figure it out.
                              Motorbikes run on fire and air. Its elemental -Matt Kelly

Comment

Working...
                              X