No announcement yet.

Bike Question, in regards to HWY km's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Question, in regards to HWY km's.

So, now that my bike is blown up. Depending on what the Bank says, i'm going for a new bike. ( Well second hand ). I'm going to get a Super-motard. Braintrust that is PSB, what are said bikes like for day in day out HWY K's. I do about 70-80 Km/h a day in commuting. 90% of which is Tonkin Highway.

The question obviously is. Are Motards, capable of sustained, constant everyday HWY Speeds and K's? Well.. I say HWY speeds, but sometimes I loose track of my throttle and speed, and accidentally go over the speed limit. And I might not realize this for a good 60 K's...
    Work to ride, and ride to work.

I did plenty of country runs at over 140 for sustained periods on my KTM. Just got a sore arse and numb fingers. Sold the both at 20,000 km but the were running perfectly and still are as far as I know.
    -

Comment

It really depends which end of the motard spectrum you buy if you buy DR400sm or Yamaha XT660X then yes they will be fine, if you buy at the TM/Aprilia SVX end of things sure they'll do it but you will be regularly doing major mechanical rebuilds.
      Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
        It really depends which end of the motard spectrum you buy if you buy DR400sm or Yamaha XT660X then yes they will be fine, if you buy at the TM/Aprilia SVX end of things sure they'll do it but you will be regularly doing major mechanical rebuilds.
        So if I were to get the SMC690.. I'd have to do regular rebuilds, how regular are we talking here?

I've never really liked the look of DRZ400's.. But it looks like, it might be the way to go. They're not a bad looking bike, I'm slightly put off by the rear plastics.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by agrid View Post
        I did plenty of country runs at over 140 for sustained periods on my KTM. Just got a sore arse and numb fingers. Sold the both at 20,000 km but the were running perfectly and still are as far as I know.
        What KTM was that? I'd be doing this Day in Day out. about 70 K's a Day, usually I take a detour through the hills aswell on the way home.

Comment

Originally posted by Groz View Post
          So if I were to get the SMC690.. I'd have to do regular rebuilds, how regular are we talking here?

I've never really liked the look of DRZ400's.. But it looks like, it might be the way to go. They're not a bad looking bike, I'm slightly put off by the rear plastics.

- - - Updated - - -

What KTM was that? I'd be doing this Day in Day out. about 70 K's a Day, usually I take a detour through the hills aswell on the way home.
          Haven't had much to do with the 690 I understand that is a lot more reliable than what has been offered in the past, although better than it was is a fairly relative term.
          Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Mine were 640 LC4, predecessor to the 690. Services around 5,000km, rebuild at 60,000 would be my guess. Discomfort is the only downside I can think of.
            -

Comment

what kind of fuel range do you get out of a Supermotard? 70 - 80kms a day at speed might mean a lot of fillups ?
              I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Depends how you ride. I used to get 200 on a country run. About 100 on a track day at Barbs.
                -

Comment

Mine were 640 LC4, predecessor to the 690. Services around 5,000km, rebuild at 60,000 would be my guess. Discomfort is the only downside I can think of.
                  This, LC4. I hear only good things about this Engine. Sounds reliable. Discomfort I can deal with, when the fun of it out weighs everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
                    what kind of fuel range do you get out of a Supermotard? 70 - 80kms a day at speed might mean a lot of fillups ?
                    Hmmm, good point.

Depends how you ride. I used to get 200 on a country run. About 100 on a track day at Barbs.
                    If I can get 100 Out of a tank, i'd only have to fill every second day haha. How big are the tanks roughly? $15 A fill up? Guessing... Still using about the same money in fuel as I did on my Ninja, except just every 2nd day instead of every 3rd. If I ride on the weekend, it'll be another. Same as my ninja.

Comment

as much fun as supermotos are the novatly wears of extremely quick when ur sitting at 100kph with numb hands and arse from it vibrating so much
                      B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Aren't you jumping the gun a bit? A few blokes here have blown engines, sourced a new/used one & replaced. Motorcycle masters are good for this

Especially since you've said it depends on what the banks says, which i interpret as you're getting a loan. I'd weigh my options. If i were you then you'd be me etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
                          as much fun as supermotos are the novatly wears of extremely quick when ur sitting at 100kph with numb hands and arse from it vibrating so much
                          That's what a Family friend said to me about riding to and from work everyday.. Not even the slightest bit sick of yet, and the fact I even go out of my way to have more fun on the way home.. Proves true.

I'm currently boring the Ol' mans GT250R BEAST! So I already get the numb hands and sore arse.. There's no enjoyment with that bike as it can't do anything, so fucking slow.. Where the Motard lacks in power, will make up with, with sheer fun. I've confident in the fact, i'll be 100% Fine with the commute on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ninjaa View Post
                          Aren't you jumping the gun a bit? A few blokes here have blown engines, sourced a new/used one & replaced. Motorcycle masters are good for this

Especially since you've said it depends on what the banks says, which i interpret as you're getting a loan. I'd weigh my options. If i were you then you'd be me etc..

The thing is, I had already been thinking about replacing my bike, and getting a Motard. I was going to wait until my bike needed replacing in 4 or so years then get one. But looks like life decided now would be a good chance to make that switch. I think a change in my life is needed right now anyway, what better way to do that with a completely different style of bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Groz View Post
                            That's what a Family friend said to me about riding to and from work everyday.. Not even the slightest bit sick of yet, and the fact I even go out of my way to have more fun on the way home.. Proves true.

I'm currently boring the Ol' mans GT250R BEAST! So I already get the numb hands and sore arse.. There's no enjoyment with that bike as it can't do anything, so fucking slow.. Where the Motard lacks in power, will make up with, with sheer fun. I've confident in the fact, i'll be 100% Fine with the commute on it.
                            So if you've already made ur decision based on what you "think" why did u bother starting a thread asking for the opinions of people who have owned supermotos?
                            B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

When I had my suoermotos I would ride some convoluted way every day. I reckon I'll get another one one day. See if they make a comfort seat for the 690.tanks was 12L I think. The big KTM are heavier than the competition supermotos at about 150kg
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X