Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long were you riding before you took a pillion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long were you riding before you took a pillion?

So, my fiance has had some pretty lewd ideas about getting on the back of the bike recently. Personally, i'm not too comfortable with that. As a precautionary measure, I took the fucken pillion seat straight off.

"Can't sit on the fender, can you bubs? Seeya when I get back" Brrrrrrrpppppppppp

When I'm comfortable enough riding the bike in traffic, sure. But for now I'm quite happy to be the only one on the bike should I get cleaned up or bin it. How long that may take is irrelevant and I'll figure that out when I'm good and ready (and when I'm sick of strange women throwing themselves at such an exotic, wild machine and having to walk on by), I'm just curious as to other peoples experiences with the subject.
    Originally posted by tank-wombat
    Geoff seems like a wise man who's soul will slowly be destroyed by the stupidity of some people
    ----------------------------------------
    TRX 850.

First time I rode on the road.

Bloke that took me to work had broken his collarbone and told the foreman that I had a license so I rode home with him on the back.

Had only ever ridden mini bikes before.

No real drama we made it.
    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

The day I got my license I took my missus out. It all comes down to how comfortable you are with your bike and your skills

Comment

I'm comfortable enough with the bike and my riding, but i'd feel pretty shithouse if I binned it with her on the back.

Statistically I'm at pretty high risk of binning it.
        Geoff seems like a wise man who's soul will slowly be destroyed by the stupidity of some people
        TRX 850.

Comment

Pretty much after I had my license and my bike was going. Did maybe 150k's myself before. Just make sure you increase tyre pressure accordingly and adjust spring preload if you can.
          Then - stick to what the instructor told you - and with a pillion it's not a race to get to the speed limit (and if she's never been a pillion before she'll tell you to change gears more smoothly until you get it right)! Just take it easy and watch out for cars not seeing you! And I always wear at least boots, kevlars, riding jacket, gloves and lid - and so does my pillion.

Comment

Within a week of getting my license. Same with the big bike.

Comment

After a few months. With first time pillions, be sure to inform them of the simple things like;
              1. Hang on somewhere.
              2. When the bike tips in, tip in with me not against me.
              3. You get on (and steady yourself on the bike), she get on and vice versa. Do not get on or off until told to.
              4. Use simple signals like 3 pokes on the leg (she poking you) for 'please slow down a bit', 2 pokes for 'I need you to pull over' and you poke her twice for 'get off'. Single pokes just for shits and giggles.

Be sure pillion is wearing adequate protective gear.
              Christie. 1972-2012. RIP my dear friend. Never forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by ge0ff View Post
                Statistically I'm at pretty high risk of binning it.
                statistics mean nothing to an individual ^_^

you seem like a pretty responsible (or at least, aware) rider, so you might not be giving yourself enough credit. start with short rides up and down a quiet street to get a feel for the extra weight on the bike, especially for braking and cornering. and don't forget to adjust preload. there's lots of tips online about riding with a pillion.

for what it's worth, i felt confident to pillion someone quite quickly, although i was in no rush to actually do so - wanted to first get a good feel for the bike, riding, road craft, etc.

Comment

Some interesting responses.

I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to be a good pillion, I was one for a long while unfortunately. She's never been on a bike so that could be interesting.

Besides it looks way more badass with just the single seat.
                  TRX 850.

Comment

nearly 6 years. Missus was and is still a bit nervous on the back of the bike and I feel more comfortable riding by myself. If I wanted to take passengers id drive a car.
                    B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by ge0ff View Post
                      I'm just curious as to other peoples experiences with the subject.
                      it can be something exciting for some women i suppose, so if its an experience they would get enjoyment and pleasure from then go for it! manage the risk, imho doing unnecessary things like (big) wheelies or high speeds with a girl on the back is not smart. a bit of acceleration maybe carry the front for a bit seems ok to me cheap thrills i suppose its all relative. stay well inside your comfort zone. gear them up, choose carefully the time and place and ride smart.

imho taking girls for joyrides on bikes is shit (for the rider). ive been choked when a girl panicked scared she might fall off so instead of hanging onto my waist she decided hooking a bony forearm across my throat would give her better leverage. ive been wobbled madly about as a girl flopped about madly and violently from side to side while screaming, reminiscing now that was kind of funny actually. ive had my balls crushed into the tank over and over and over. cannot ride the way i want or where i want and getting somewhere takes longer cos im travelling slower. added responsibility of a passengers safety. meh.
                      Originally posted by Bendito
                      If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

About ten or twelve.

Comment

I'll take your missus for a ride.
                          You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

My missus can't even ride a push-bike for shit so she's not getting on the back of my sewing machine any time soon. Barely even enough room for me on it as it is, anyway.

Comment

I'm with @Gozer, taking a pillion ruins a perfectly good ride.
                              But if she enjoys it, it may be worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X