Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-Genuine Visor - Any bad experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Genuine Visor - Any bad experiences?

I'm a fan of my Shoei XR1000 helmet, with the exception of fogging issues and the unfavourable cost/scratchability ratio of genuine Iridium visors. That ratio is currently at $120-$150:Easy (but only at the front of it where I spend most of my time looking).

So in online shopping to replace my scratched iridium visor I came across an aftermarket option that seems to address both issues:

Gold Iridium Visor Fits Shoei XR1000 Raid 2 CX1V Pinlock Ready | eBay

Pro:

That's a price I'm happier paying for something that is easily damaged, isn't ADR approved (so far as I know no tinted visor is), plus it comes with the Pinlock Anti-Fog pin system (ideal for my rides to work on bright days in the colder seasons) and looks to be made by a reputable manufacturer.

Con:

Uncertainty. I like my eyes, they're useful for riding and other things. I'm not sure if there's a tangible difference in the level of safety by going for a piece of polycarbonate that doesn't have:

SHOEI
    MODEL CX-1V
    EXCEEDS Z87.1/VESC-8
    NOT WARRANTED SHATTERPROOF
    MADE IN JAPAN
    HARD FINISHED SHIELD
    IF TINTED FOR
    DAYTIME USE ONLY

written on it.

Have I any reason to be concerned with the alternative?

You're welcome to reply with "They're your eyes, if you want to risk them to save some money it's your choice" if you can't help yourself, but could you please try to make it funny? I'm quite partial to memes, The Simpsons and/or dragons. Otherwise I'd really appreciate anyones experience or industry insights.

I tried searching too!

Cheers PSB
    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

I just bought a smoke visor from ebay too, seems good but I doubt it is genuine. I'll let you know how the quality is.
    ​You can never lose a homing pigeon - if your homing pigeon doesn't come back, what you've lost is a pigeon.

Comment

"They're your eyes, if you want to risk them to save some money it's your choice"

said it yourself, ok not funny but....

doesn't get around your scratching issue however Pin Locks come in different shades, and they make a transition one if you choose to stray from the iridium visor.

If it was me, I'd probably still get the ebay one if I'm being honest

Comment

I have a tinted visor you can have, my helmet ate some bitumen
        Master of the missed signals

Comment

Originally posted by kenty View Post
          I have a tinted visor you can have, my helmet ate some bitumen
          I'm not going to turn down a kind offer like that! Thanks! I'm up around Beechboro on Wednesday nights if that works for you? Glad that you're okay, not only for you but it shows that my trust in the helmet isn't misplaced

Still after an iridium with pinlock as well.
          Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
          1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Originally posted by Loud View Post
            I'm not going to turn down a kind offer like that! Thanks! I'm up around Beechboro on Wednesday nights if that works for you? Glad that you're okay, not only for you but it shows that my trust in the helmet isn't misplaced

Still after an iridium with pinlock as well.
            just a heads up it has a little scratch on it
            Master of the missed signals

Comment

All my visors except for the OEM clear ones have been ebay visors. So far the fit has been great, and they've never exploded on me yet.
              Scratched or dropped? $30-50 and get a new one.
              If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

Comment

i would be concerned about the level of UV filtering.
                Originally posted by Bendito
                If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Polycarbonate has a high level of UV blocking (~90%) without any additional treatment. You should get ones that are treated (nearly 100%) which anything decent will be.

Comment

Working...
                  X