Lowering a cbr250rr or 250 ninja

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering a cbr250rr or 250 ninja

Hi has anybody lowered said bikes an if so where did u get lowering kits for them. My wife is vertically challenged an doesn't want another cruiser or a Harley Cheers

Sculptured seat and thicker soles on her boots...

Comment

Honest question, but is your wife a dwarf? My girlfriend is shorter than average and doesn't have any trouble getting on a stock standard CBR250RR. Still, can't say it'd be a great idea lowering either of those bikes.

Comment

Indeed I'd have to agree, the 250rr is a very low bike as is...

Comment

The what:

Ninja EX 250 250R 300 300R Front Rear lowering Kit Handlebar Riser Links | eBay

And here's a good article on the how:

Lowering - NinjetteWiki

I put links for the Ninjette cause I think it's a better bike than the cbr250r. I've owned both.

Edit: my bad, you said rr.
          Last edited by truewheel; 03-11-2013, 06:32 PM.
          It didn't look that far on the map...

Comment

I'll be the guy that says it, since it comes up in all these threads.
            Lowering a bike alters the geometry, even when you are running decent kits. Unless your bike is designed specifically to be lowered, which is rare, lowering it may (will) adversely effect the bikes handling.
            Like Rich... said, trimming the seat and getting thicker boots are your first option. If she still has trouble then it might be worth considering lowering it. Some people can get used to only being able to tiptoe with one foot, if the trouble is expecting both feet flat on the ground it may be a case of getting more experience and adjusting your expectations.

Comment

You can lower the suspension yourself I believe, if you have the right tool to twist adjustment thing on the top of the spring? Correct me if I'm wrong.

As someone else mentioned, you can get her to wear shoes that have a thick soul, like sports running shoes or some motorbike boots with a heel.

I notice the distance heaps when I ride with my Vans vs my Nikes.

/Rick
              - XolituDe (Rick)

Comment

Originally posted by XolituDe View Post
                You can lower the suspension yourself I believe, if you have the right tool to twist adjustment thing on the top of the spring? Correct me if I'm wrong.
                You're wrong...

Well mostly...

Yes winding the spring tension off will mean the bike sags more when you sit on it, it also affects the handling...

Comment

Also, when I had my Ninjette, I found the stock seat too hard, so I got a Saddlemen Tech gel seat, which was much more comfy. I got the standard, but you could also get a "low profile" version for the same price, which got you an extra inch closer to ground.

Aftermarket Motorcycle Seats for Sport Bikes, Tech Style

And the wife would love an extra inch, right?
                  It didn't look that far on the map...

Comment

Lowering a cbr250rr or 250 ninja

If i recall correctly the seat on a cbr250rr doesn't have a whole lot of thickness to it so shaping the seat might not make a lot difference.

As mentioned above, check out thicker soles .

Comment

Reids Bootmakers (Site Sponsor and all round good guy ) You can have a fair amount of thickness added to your motorcycle boots, 20mm, 25mm or even a little thicker, it isn't cheap, but it is the better option than mucking around with lowering the bike and stuffing around with it's handling.

There are heaps of short arse ladies on here and they manage, don't make height an issue when riding a bike cos it isn't. You only need one foot to be able to reach the ground when at a stop sign, lights etc.

She can then get off the bike and push it around.

Why not also look at the LAMS approved Monster, I know someone that isn't 5' tall that rides one of them!!

Comment

Another vote for looking at any option other than lowering.

I lowered the rear end of my last bike 25mm and it took a lot of tweaking to get it handling properly afterwards. It is possible, but there are easier ways.

Originally posted by XolituDe View Post
                        I notice the distance heaps when I ride with my Vans vs my Nikes.
                        ATGATT rider then?
                        "Who the hell steals a Ninja 250?"
                        "People who enjoy the rush of theft but dislike the rush of speed..."

Comment

Don't lower it, get thicker boots, shave seat if you can. Put drop knobs on it.
                          I know plenty of short people that don't have issues riding big sports bike. Namely 5'2" lady that straddles a fire blade with ease. Means shifting body position when stopping but it's very doable.
                          for passing your r-e test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-57420/
                          for passing your R class test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-97314/
                          for passing your intermediate excel training coarse see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...course-163460/

Comment

Originally posted by ms_enj View Post
                            Another vote for looking at any option other than lowering.

I lowered the rear end of my last bike 25mm and it took a lot of tweaking to get it handling properly afterwards. It is possible, but there are easier ways.

ATGATT rider then?
                            Lol depends on the distance and speed of the trip and conditions, then i'd use my M2R boots
                            - XolituDe (Rick)

Comment

BIG CAM, the ninja 250 and CBR250RR are quite different bikes. did you mean to say CBR250R?

Comment

Working...
                              X