Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me or is there no such thing as a "new" bike these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me or is there no such thing as a "new" bike these days?

Well it seems a few manufacturers have been busy.. Busy searching through their parts bins to bolt something together for the show circuit this year.

MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800
    Aside from having a tongue-twisting name you get an adventure spec (tarmac only) Brutale 800

Ducati Monster 1200/1200S water cooled
    The new S4R. Not sure if this will steal sales form the streetfighter as it's around 20hp down on output.

Honda CTX1300
    Anyone remember the DN-01? This one has an ST1300 engine and comes with it's own ugly stick.

Honda VFR800F
    "New" VFR is 10kg lighter, a bees dick more powerful. No gear driven cams.

Yamaha MT-07
    689cc vertical twin version of the FZ/MT-09. Likely to be a ER-6 competitor but ineligible for LAMS which is curious.

Thoughts?
    Did they do good?
    Did they ignore your needs?
    Does bike x need a 25l tank and 1800hp with a comfy seat and superbike handling?
    Are manufacturers getting stagnant and merely relying on screwing together parts bin specials to increase profit margins?
    Originally posted by Desmo
    Why be a cunt about it?

Oddly enough the recent efforts by Yamaha strike me as the least partsbinesque. There have long been standardised parts across the range like brake levers, mirrors, footpegs etc. but at least they have had different engines and styling, rather than just revamping something with a different engine or putting an existing engine in a different style of bike.

Comment

They're all just being creative whilst playing it as safe as possible. Noone wants to put a toe out of line, so when they come up with something 'new', they try and stick to a proven formula.

Same with everything really, how many 'new' blockbusters have their been? It's just Crapmove 1/2/3/4..

Comment

I agree the MT-07 is the odd one out. Yamaha are doing some cool things at the moment.
        Originally posted by Desmo
        Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

IMHO - New MT-09 is hardly a revamp of a current bike. Maybe that is the exception to the rule though. It does cost an awful lot of money to develop a completely new machine, so it isn't too surprising to find them reusing parts to make 'new' models. You only have to look at the car industry to see this is the way forward. Golf platform is now used in multiple vehicles from a number of Group companies ie Audi, Skoda.
          Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Keen View Post
            I agree the MT-07 is the odd one out. Yamaha are doing some cool things at the moment.
            As usual. Not just in bikes either.
            "I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it," she once said, "unless I'm thirsty."
            Madame Lilly Bollinger

Comment

Still no all new R6? Bummer.
              "Starin' at the world through my rearview"

Comment

yamaha are trying and doing well IMO
                as is KTM
                EDIT = kwakas too I might add
                REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                (anarchy in english )

Comment

Quite like the MT07, could be pretty capable.
                  Don't mind the 1200 Monster either, styling-wise at least

Comment

Even the new CB600F lol

Comment

Who started the very low down side ported exhaust? Seems to be the new trend

Comment

Honda I believe
                        REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                        (anarchy in english )

Comment

The Monster one I wonder why they lowered the HP, same motor as the Diavel but the Diavel is rated at 162hp.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnno View Post
                            The Monster one I wonder why they lowered the HP, same motor as the Diavel but the Diavel is rated at 162hp.
                            I suspect it would be quite a handful if it wasn't detuned further. Lets just hope it isn't a sign they are dropping the air cooled models.

Comment

I cant remember the underside exhaust from Honda esp in regards to sportsbikes - I can remember Buell doing it back in '94 (96 lightning shown though)

Comment

Working...
                              X