Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 cbr1000rr sp

2014 Honda CBR1000RR SP First Look - Motorcycle USA

"Honda doesn’t think it’s gotten everything it can out of its existing CBR1000RR platform so for 2014 it’s building a high-spec SP version of the iconic sportbike designed to go head-to-head with the more premium offerings from Europe.

Engineers started by blue printing the top end of the CBR’s 999cc Inline Four fitting “hand-picked” pistons and connecting rods. This should help extort maximum combustion efficiency from the engine. A new cylinder head with modified intake and exhaust porting was also installed designed to boost power, however the compression ratio remains unaltered at 12.3:1. The CBR has never lacked in terms of mid-range power, but has had a considerable top-end power deficiency compared to the latest liter-class bike from Europe so it will be interesting if it gains any ponies at high rpm.

While the CBR1000RR has never lacked in the handling department the SP model is prepared to up the ante with its three-way adjustable Ohlins inverted fork held within an updated top clamp. An equally adjustable TTX-generation gas charged shock also from the Swedish suspension house controls the movement of the rear wheel. More up-spec goodies come in the form of Brembo monobloc calipers that continue to pinch 320mm cross-drilled rotors at the front. Surprisingly, anti-lock functionality won’t be available on the U.S. versions. As before, the CBR continues to employ its nifty and un-invasive HPSD steering damper. Another big change is the fitment of Pirelli’s fantastic and track-capable Diablo Supercrosa SP tires along with a lighter subframe.

The way in which the rider interacts with the motorcycle was also modified. The position of the clip-ons and footpegs were moved giving the CBR a more aggressive track stance. It also gets a taller windscreen that does a more effective job of flowing turbulent air over the rider’s head. Though it won’t make the Honda go any faster, the SP comes equipped with a removable plastic cowl instead of the passenger seat and gets a special red/white and two shades of blue paint scheme along with gold-painted 12-spoke wheels. Curiously, according to the spec chart the SP actually loses 0.3-gallons of fuel capacity but still weighs roughly the same as the bike it replaces at 440 pounds.

Honda has yet to announce pricing but expect at least a thousand dollar jump over its current asking price of $13,800 (not including $310 destination charge). The SP will arrive at U.S. dealerships this spring."

Click ze link for pics.

Interesting stuff, but I'm not sure how they make that bike look worse and worse every year. It's a special talent to be sure, but certainly not one to be admired.

If nothing else, they are to be admired for not creating yet another sticker special.
    Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
    Originally posted by filbert
    it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

Not quite what is needed to compete with the S1000RR, Panigale, RSV4 and probably even the Kwaka IMO. Great stuff to see those upgrades, but it really needs the traction control and another 20hp to compete.

Comment

2014 cbr1000rr sp

Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
      Not quite what is needed to compete with the S1000RR, Panigale, RSV4 and probably even the Kwaka IMO. Great stuff to see those upgrades, but it really needs the traction control and another 20hp to compete.
      How about 5-6k cheaper price, reliability and cheap running costs?

The blade (like most Hondas) is a fine bike if your activity includes more than 5000km per year.

The blade is primarily a road bike, for most people the difference between 160hp an 200hp on the road is inconsequential.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

It still needs the wank factor for the road riders - so all their mates stop saying 'why did you get a girls bike - real bikes have 200hp...' and 'motogp bikes have TC why doesn't yours?, did Honda cut it for you or something?'

Comment

They should have waited till MM won the title this weekend and done a MM version with free TC disabled.
          Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Read about this the other day...

2014 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade SP - Motorcycle news: New bikes - Visordown

I rather like it. Be interested to see what it is priced at, but if I were in the market, id definitely consider one.
            Upgrades are fairly standard, but are a well known & proven quantity...

Comment

It still needs the wank factor for the road riders - so all their mates stop saying 'why did you get a girls bike - real bikes have 200hp...' and 'motogp bikes have TC why doesn't yours?, did Honda cut it for you or something?'
              I like to think you're just taking the piss, but to be honest I just can't tell anymore.

Comment

Thats when you leave them for dead on any/all the rides you go on (because the honda doesn't put a foot wrong).

Either the rider or the bike was superior, and they just bagged out your bike, so...

I know they're not sexy on paper, but Honda build comfortable, good handling, easy to use bikes that basically don't fuck up, other than reg/rectifier on a run of models in the late 90s/early 2000s.

It's quite telling that the worst criticism they generally face is that "they're boring" because they don't have some crazy flaw that makes the bike want to kill you or whatever.

edit:
                Besides, i'm quite sure that if you were wanting to spend 24k on a blade, the end result would basically piss on an "out of the box" 1199, RSV4, S1000RR, etc.
                Last edited by thro; 06-11-2013, 05:07 PM.
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I think Honda should bring some of their show bikes into production. They have some awesome potential, but not the balls to release a limited production run...
                  SP RACINGis supported by:
                  MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
                  Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
                  Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

I want one!

already had the first fight with the Mrs about it,

3 more and back hand and I should be there.....

RR
                    http://www.cleanride.com.au - https://www.facebook.com/cleanridedetailingstudio/ - https://twitter.com/CleanRideAD - https://www.instagram.com/clean_ride_aus/

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                      It's quite telling that the worst criticism they generally face is that "they're boring" because they don't have some crazy flaw that makes the bike want to kill you or whatever.

edit:
                      Besides, i'm quite sure that if you were wanting to spend 24k on a blade, the end result would basically piss on an "out of the box" 1199, RSV4, S1000RR, etc.
                      You forgot the Kwaka... spend 24k on that and it beats all of them...

Comment

Originally posted by RRossi View Post
                        I want one!

already had the first fight with the Mrs about it,

3 more and back hand and I should be there.....

RR
                        my wife said i can buy one but why would i want a Honda...

just have to work out how to pay for it now.
                        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

I'll take two please.

Need one for track of course....

Comment

You forgot the Kwaka... spend 24k on that and it beats all of them...
                            Yeah or the kwakka.

Point was in regards to people saying "waah it can't compete with teh RSV4, Duke 1290, Panigale, etc".

It's not at the same price point.... it's a good 5-6k less.

Comment

Originally posted by rc_sam View Post
                              They should have waited till MM won the title this weekend and done a MM version with free TC disabled.
                              That would make it a Pedrosa replica.
                              Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Working...
                              X