Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a motorcycle training course you can do to reduce your insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a motorcycle training course you can do to reduce your insurance?

Hey,

I have three years riding experience, and I have been off the bike for the last three years. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Blackbird and now I am fairly used too it and comfortable with my abilities on it so I am thinking of doing some sort of Advanced Rider Training. Partly because I want to get rid of any bad habits I may have at the moment and then mainly to brush up on riding techniques for different situations such as freeways, city and the twisties. Seeing as I am thinking of doing this type of course I was then wondering if there is any course out there that would give you some sort of qualification / assessment to say you achieved a certain level of riding while being assessed. Then when presenting this to my insurance company I would get a discount on my insurance.

As I am not originally from here I dont know what the score is with this so hoping you guys can help me out and point me in the right direction! If not what do you suggest I do training wise and who should I contact? The RAC?

Thanks in advance,

Sambo

dave wright, MRA , go talk to a mature rider who gives a fuck, then some rac and trackdayz

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

You will get a heap of new experience at trakdays or ridedays - do the level one course, you will learn about throttle control, how it affects suspension and bike behavior, correct body positioning, choosing lines through corners, effective hard braking, and have a heap of fun doing it. Yes its a trackday, but it is also a very intense learning experience with lots a classroom time between tracktime.

Comment

None of the courses, Ridedays, Trackdayz or RAC will reduce your insurance premiums but they will all improve your riding ability and therefore reduce the risks of having to make a claim.

Comment

I'd be wanting to do something like this myself,
          By your avatar, looks more like a blue bird
          - XolituDe (Rick)

Comment

Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
            You will get a heap of new experience at trakdays or ridedays - do the level one course, you will learn about throttle control, how it affects suspension and bike behavior, correct body positioning, choosing lines through corners, effective hard braking, and have a heap of fun doing it. Yes its a trackday, but it is also a very intense learning experience with lots a classroom time between tracktime.
            Id love to do a trackday, and get more confidence in getting the bike down in corners but I reckon I would be in everyones way! lol Do you need leathers for that or are textiles ok?

Comment

Originally posted by XolituDe View Post
              I'd be wanting to do something like this myself,
              By your avatar, looks more like a blue bird
              Yup, a very sexy Bluebird. Best colour in my opinion!

Comment

Advanced rider training through a recognised training program will give you a reduction on insurance. The ARD at RAC is one and the new BART course at Barbagallo is another. bart.net.au

Comment

Is there a motorcycle training course you can do to reduce your insurance?

I have yet to receive any discount on my insurance premium from several Insurers that I have used by doing the ard by rac.

In fact rac where the only ones to offer 10% discount on my premium funnily enough, but the quote was so high the discount made sweet f.a difference compared to what I could get my premium for elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Samboleary View Post
                    Id love to do a trackday...Do you need leathers for that or are textiles ok?
                    Protective Gear

I think you can hire full leathers but have no idea what sharing the sweat of a hundred before you would be like
                    It didn't look that far on the map...

Comment

Originally posted by HIHO View Post
                      Advanced rider training through a recognised training program will give you a reduction on insurance. The ARD at RAC is one and the new BART course at Barbagallo is another. bart.net.au
                      + 1 for BART at Barbs

Comment

Hi Sambo,

Insurance companies can be a bit shifty when is about riders attending "Advance Riding Courses"...from experience working with RAC most of the bike insurance do cover this kind of courses provide they meet some requirements like "course has to be run from qualified instructors / Cert IV" and... probably most important thing they (insurance) do not cover you if there is a lap-timer beacon in use on the course...(obviously cos they know you are pushing your self against the clock)...

I would recommend you to contact your insurer and double check (no phone calls) make sure you get it in written (email, fax,etc) this way you have a hard copy in case something happen

Hope this helps you.
                        Andrea
                        MTWA - Motorcycle Training With Andrea
                        DOT Qualified Motorcycle Instructor
                        Cert IV in Training and Assessment
                        WWW.MTWA.COM.AU
                        WWW.BART.NET.AU

Comment

If you are going to get a discount don't expect it to be much. Basically all they seem to care about is speeding fines, drink driving offences, previous crashes and your age. The fact that you can ride / drive better than everyone around you seems pretty irrelevant to them.

Comment

I know the New BART course instructors are in the process of getting approvals from some of the insurance companies. They (the insurance companies) like the fact that its a defensive riding course and is not track based. Bart sees itself as a lead into the Trakdayz type experiences. New riders and returnees (born-agains..?) gain more experience in a closed and controlled environment then they can go and try Trakdayz etc....

"Insurance companies can be a bit shifty when is about riders attending "Advance Riding Courses"...from experience working with RAC most of the bike insurance do cover this kind of courses provide they meet some requirements like "course has to be run from qualified instructors / Cert IV" and... probably most important thing they (insurance) do not cover you if there is a lap-timer beacon in use on the course...(obviously cos they know you are pushing your self against the clock)...

I would recommend you to contact your insurer and double check (no phone calls) make sure you get it in written (email, fax,etc) this way you have a hard copy in case something happen

Hope this helps you.
                            Andrea[/QUOTE]

Comment

Qbe told me over the phone and several others I know that they will insure you on the rac track. I then checked my PDS and guess what? It's not covered.

As said by vale46 best to get it in writing as over the phone is worthless.

Comment

Working...
                              X