Permit to ride do I need one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permit to ride do I need one?

The transport website is down, does my son need a learners permit to learn to ride a motorcycle or can He use his manual drivers license that He has had for 4 years to learn to ride a bike? With me shadowing.

He needs to get an R-E learners permit. I'm not sure if things have changed in the past couple of years, but there is a theory test component specific to motorcycles, check the drive safe book which has a motorcycle section.
    If you can borrow a moped (R-N), you could shadow him around on that and show him the basics.

Comment

Yep he needs to get a learner's permit to ride with L plates and a shadow or instructor.
      Unless its changed recently its just an easy computerised test (and a fee)

Comment

Would he have to carry the license? Surely it would be noted on the computer he has a learners permit connected to his license.

Comment

Do you have to carry your license whilst driving/riding?

Comment

Not what I'm asking... Maybe I haven't explained it properly. Can he just carry his drivers license? And not have his learners permit?

Comment

He needs to carry his learners permit (which is now a card) as it is one of the conditions of the learner's permit. You don't actually have to carry your license (or his), but you should as it makes things a lot simpler if you get pulled over.

Comment

IIRC anyone who operates a vehicle must carry the requisite license with them at all times. Been a while since I got my last endorsement, so correct me if wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by crimsondawn View Post
                  IIRC anyone who operates a vehicle must carry the requisite license with them at all times.
                  Nope. You are required to provide the police with your details (name, address, birthdate etc.) and it is an offence to provide false details. If asked you are required to go to the police station within 24hours (iirc) and to show your license. No you don't have to carry it, it just makes things easier if you do.

Comment

funny... i'm up for a $600 fine if i don't have my licence on me at work

different rules for every class and private use versus business or driving for reward.

yes you must carry the learners permit once obtained whilst operating the vehicle that the permit applies to, it is a condition of holding the learners permit.

put him on a moped and he won't even need a learners permit as it's covered by his car licence and you can still teach him most of the roadcraft
                    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

The learners permit these days is a card identical in construction to a drivers license, but yellow. I don't see why carrying that is a massive problem? When i was a learner I used to carry my license and my learners permit just in case.
                      Originally posted by tank-wombat
                      Geoff seems like a wise man who's soul will slowly be destroyed by the stupidity of some people
                      ----------------------------------------
                      TRX 850.

Comment

it depends what you get caught doing as a learner, i used to do what i thought were funny things to my brother when he was learning, like jump up over kerbs and run through cycle paths and come out in front of or behind him on different streets...

it was funny for me until i rounded a roundabout in front of a cop car and my brother was still on the other road as the cops approached with L plates displayed, i did a quick u-turn and detour and came back out behind him before the cops had turned around and followed him but it was still too late

thankfully all his paperwork was in order and they accepted my explanation that i was keeping an eye on him but was being a knob and turned off a street before him to see if he'd notice that i was gone and follow the instruction to ride home, they did query how i got back behind him before they caught him because they had seen me before they saw him but i was more worried about having got a learner in the shit by messing around

don't give them any excuses to bust you let them make up their own.
                        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Working...
                        X