Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlight regs?

hey all

does anyone know according to regulations if your low beam is meant to stay on if u switch to high?

just installed a new light and found out this is what happens when i flick it to high, they both come on when "pass" is activated so I'm wondering if I'm gonna need to un-switch the low beam

and just for kicks i installed some new indicators and relay to find not only do they not flash (probably my fault) but 2 are orange and 2 are red fucn fleabay
    NEVER KNOWS BEST

No idea about the regs but on my car pass is high beam only.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

On the two bikes I have had, the pass switch activates both high and lowbeam. It isn't meant to be left on, though I have heard of people changing their wiring/switching set up to get that to happen if they do a lot of night riding. Obviously it uses more power and generates more heat, but that might not be an issue on your bike. If it is stock and does this then it complies with the ADRs and you don't need to worry.
      The stock relay requires enough current to be drawn to flash properly (or at all). The preferred method is to use a flasher relay that is set up to work with a wide range of wattages, but you can also wire in resistors to draw more current (I don't like this method). If you can get an after market relay that matches the OEM plug then it should fit straight on and work with any indicator that is put on.

Comment

Originally posted by orazzal View Post
        hey all

does anyone know according to regulations if your low beam is meant to stay on if u switch to high?

just installed a new light and found out this is what happens when i flick it to high, they both come on when "pass" is activated so I'm wondering if I'm gonna need to un-switch the low beam

and just for kicks i installed some new indicators and relay to find not only do they not flash (probably my fault) but 2 are orange and 2 are red fucn fleabay

Hi man just checked my bike and low stays on as soon as key goes on when I put hi beam on or pass low stays on at all time so I'm assuming that is the way they are meant to be HOPEFULLY
        WORK TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE

Comment

Not any more in the mid 90's the 916 to get ADR'ed locally had this fairly hideous single headlight fitted by the importer for this exact issue. Flasher relay on the headlights for pass, thats a new one. Normally it is a momentary switch that the operator flashes.
          Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
            Not any more in the mid 90's the 916 to get ADR'ed locally had this fairly hideous single headlight fitted by the importer for this exact issue. Flasher relay on the headlights for pass, thats a new one. Normally it is a momentary switch that the operator flashes.
            Two separate issues are being discussed

Comment

I just checked on my bike. High beam stays on with the low beam when I hit Pass but low beam goes out when I hit the handlebar switch to go to high beam. This is how cars are usually wired up.

You might get lower life out of the bulb since it'll be running at 115W when you're on high beam, but otherwise since you're not going to be running with high beam on with other vehicles about anyway, just enjoy the extra 55W of light when you've got your high beam switch on the bike

Comment

Pass button turns both on. Hi/Low switch only has one or the other.

Comment

cheers all, i guess i never really payed attention before today^_^

[MENTION=24951]AliastheJester[/MENTION] the last bit about the indicators was just a bit of extra info on how shit a morning i was having, i reversed the polarity on the flasher relay and they started blinking that however did not fix the 2 red indicators and what i just found was a one half working orange indicator so

i bought 4 and 3 are in the bin yay fucn fleabay
                  NEVER KNOWS BEST

Comment

Working...
                  X