Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle risk: part of the attraction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle risk: part of the attraction?

The wind in your hair, the scenery flying by, the road beneath your feet stretching out to forever, the sploosh of the women you just rode by admiring your rebellious and hard core riding awesomeness.

Now we all know there's this romantic rebel soul-filled thing about being a motorcyclist, and we know the reality:

The wind screaming you deaf through your sweaty helmet, the dust and bugs and shit flying everywhere, the potholes/leaves/honkeynuts/gravel on every corner, are we nearly there yet coz I'm bloody cooking in these leathers and my back is killing me from carrying this XYZ in my backpack and that bitch just gave me the filthiest look ever.

In another thread today we talk about making - by whatever means - riding a motorcycle as safe as driving in a car. And I started wondering at this: if there was no risk, would there still be that level of "coolness" that dragged so many of us into our bike license in the first place? Personally, I think not. Would you still be inclined to ride? Or would you opt for the convenience of a car?

Analysing further of course we can say things like "splitting/traffic manoeuvrability makes better commute" but of course part of the process of making riding "safe" would include the death penalty for anyone who overtook another vehicle. "Ah, but the parking!" Yeah, just look at how the CoP and others have made parking so, so easy and sensible for motorbikes. All this versus aircon, stereo, somewhere to throw your gear and somewhere to stretch out? Hmmm.

Personally, without that little bit of extra risk, I don't think I'd ever have been interested in a motorbike. What about the rest of you?
    Bye bye bike, you're no fun anymore.
    15.15%
    Yes, because I prefer being on a bike even if I can't split/dodge/park anywhere etc.
    62.12%
    Meh. Fish.
    22.73%
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

id still ride. its not just the fact that i look darn good in leather and the soothing sounds of women frothing as i ride by. riding a motorcycle gives me access to areas of Australia that you couldn't get to in a car.

case and point below.
    A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

Comment

You mean if we all had to ride these types of things instead of real bikes?

One of the guys at work bought one recently and got to take it for a spin.
      I could'nt finish doing a lap soon enough and back onto 2 wheels.
      Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

I just like riding, and would continue to do so whether or not all of the extra fun stuff was taken away... However that'd be the end of my motorcycle commuting.

Comment

My car has the same effect as a motorbike on ladies, I still have a bike.

It's just fun.
          This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

I'm not getting you *fish...

What risk?

Getting in the car is still a risk...

I don't ride bike because there is a risk I will get hurt, I ride them because of the feeling...

Is that feeling adrenaline, due to risky behaviour? Sometimes, but I can also happily cruise along without taking risks and be cool with that...

I can still get that adrenaline feeling in a car by pushing it, but I feel disconnected and less in control in a car...

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
              I'm not getting you *fish...

What risk?

Getting in the car is still a risk...

I don't ride bike because there is a risk I will get hurt, I ride them because of the feeling...

Is that feeling adrenaline, due to risky behaviour? Sometimes, but I can also happily cruise along without taking risks and be cool with that...

I can still get that adrenaline feeling in a car by pushing it, but I feel disconnected and less in control in a car...

that pretty much nails it

well said

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Riding a bike will never be just like driving a car, so can't help you there.
                Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wahoo!! What a ride!"

Comment

No... I probably wouldnt.

Having said that, I never purchased my bike for commute or to get anywhere any quicker than I may in a car... I bought the thing solely for fun, for the feeling and the thrill. As a bit of a toy or a hobby that I deeply tend to enjoy, you could say.

If I got to the point where I no longer enjoyed riding a bike, for me, there'd be little point to keeping it. The benefit of owning a seldom used bike that I didnt have any fun on or only used if the traffic was rough or whatever, would be lost on me.

Comment

Motorcycle risk: part of the attraction?

Can you wheelie a car?

Well yes, but the car probably won't like it as much as a bike and shit gonna break and probably need to throw 50 odd grand into a car to make it capable of wheelies under its own steam.

Also you can't squeeze a car in between traffic very often to take out mirrors
                    Last edited by kennyboy; 18-11-2013, 03:57 PM.
                    for passing your r-e test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-57420/
                    for passing your R class test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-97314/
                    for passing your intermediate excel training coarse see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...course-163460/

Comment

I would agree.

I like the adrenaline of getting on my bike every time still (circa 12 months of riding).

If my only option were to surf 1ft waves for the rest of my life, I would probably chuck it in since I only really get enjoyment over waves of consequence/towing in.

Comment

I love riding because of the quick and easy adrenaline rush. Plus 2 wheels has always been my passion

As we're moving deeper and deeper into a nanny state, +5km/h over the limit will eventually land you a court date, more than that then you're spending years in a small room bent over in front of Bubba.

Track days are grossly expensive in Aus compared to Europe and Asia, not to mention our race track is almost like a NASCAR track with its right handers.

If we got to that point (we're on the right track) I probably would hang up the helmet

Comment

How much $$ would it cost to get a new car capable of 300km/hr, that can do 10 second quarters and lap barbs in 64 second or collie under 50? With a warranty? Ability to wheelie and stoppie as a bonus? I reckon if I had a V12 Lambo I wouldn't mind giving up the bikes, but seen as that aint gonna happen I keep to two wheels. Besides, the crew I ride with are pretty cool, yet to meet such a broad spectrum of general public as enthusiastic about a shared pastime. Bikes are the the shit, and riding is where its at. Nuff said.
                          yes, i am ignorant
                          yes, i am a prick
                          no, i don't care
                          you make me sick

Comment

I ride because of the sense of freedom, just you the road and the machine.
                            Convertible cars are the closest I've found to this sensation and they are a long way off
                            At times the adrenaline is great, but I'd rather ride a classic at near enough legal speeds anyway than riding like my arse is on fire

The people that you meet changes relative to the bike you ride, and whilst plastic fairings and the latest bits of bling are no longer of interest to me, I have a camaraderie with those who ride, irrespective of what they ride, just because they ride.
                            The idea of driving a car to some far away destination is a chore, with my bike its an adventure, that's the difference for me

Comment

I love you guys, some good responses in there
                              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Working...
                              X