Lightweight helmets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightweight helmets.

Heyall. Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction. I am up for a new fullface lid and would like to get a lighter helmet than my current Shark.. What brands should I be looking at in the $500 range.

Cheers.

each brand is going to fit slightly differently so you'll need to find the brand that fits best but rather than brands you could look for ECE standards approval alongside the AS standards, their helmet standards seem to require a lower overall weight whereas a lot of SNELL hemets although being well constructed don't meet ECE because of their weight.

that's if you're actually after AS approval, otherwise the world is your oyster for ECE standards and carbon shells etc

somewhere like helmet house may have a listing of specifications and applicable models
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

I imagine the HJC carbon helmet would be your best bet for light weight at that price point.

Comment

The bell star carbons are quite light too, although slightly higher than the $500 range

Comment

200+ Helmet reviews, sorted by weight:

Motorcycle Helmet Weights - webBikeWorld
          It didn't look that far on the map...

Comment

Absolutley, hands down, the lightest helmet I have held was [MENTION=5183]TurboR1[/MENTION]'s x-lite. X801 I think it was.

Crazy light.
            The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

As turbo said bell star carbon but they are about $650 to $750. Although they had some at the motorcycle show for $550.

Comment

Originally posted by 96 View Post
                Absolutley, hands down, the lightest helmet I have held was [MENTION=5183]TurboR1[/MENTION]'s x-lite. X801 I think it was.

Crazy light.
                Close... X-Lite X802.
                Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

I have a Rhok, its full carbon helmer. very light. good quality, has many styles and they are also have a base in australia so helmets are upto standards. Comes with a second lid, new they are around $600 maybe less now. Give it a look on their site, Im am recommending as it looks and feels good.

Comment

It's crucial you have the a.s sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Augastus View Post
                      I have a Rhok, its full carbon helmer. very light. good quality, has many styles and they are also have a base in australia so helmets are upto standards. Comes with a second lid, new they are around $600 maybe less now. Give it a look on their site, Im am recommending as it looks and feels good.
                      I have been contemplating buying one of these as they look pretty good. What is the noise level like (not that that is a big issue for me), visibility and how does the size compare to something of the bigger makers?

Comment

Originally posted by al.ramsay View Post
                        I have been contemplating buying one of these as they look pretty good. What is the noise level like (not that that is a big issue for me), visibility and how does the size compare to something of the bigger makers?
                        It is actually quieter than a $350 HJC, because its carbon fibre it is a bit smaller than others in its size range. I have a small size which is a medium in most others but that was a tight fit, since then all the inserts have been compressed by my face. I would like the visor to be a bit bigger, but because its so light there is no issue with turning your head. Literally wind at speeds is no longer going to be an issue, air just flows around it very easy to look around and check the blind spot. The inserts are on clips so they are easily removed. Visors can be swapped around in no time as well, a small grippy slider on either side and it pops straight off. Mine came with a tinted visor, so I just change them over as I am walking out of the door if its sunny or what not. (tinted isnt AS stickered, dont know if they still do it for australia, as had to buy from a private reseller as there wasnt an australian shop back then). I has fared well, only recently the reverse of the soft part on the straps started to fray. They do come with that material over the chin void, which is a good thing to have.

Comment

I have a Suomy Vandal, very light 1250g or less, $700 though. Never hear much about them but I love it.

Not a quiet helmet but well ventilated and the lightness makes it great on longer rides. Haven't tried it at the track where I use an Arai.
                          1199s, HP4 and a very forgiving wife.

"Do not go gentle into that good night,Rage, rage against the dying of the light."Dylan Thomas

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys Plenty of options it would seem so I shall delve further in and also pay the guys and gals at Helmet House a visit. Bought my last couple off them. Noise is no so much a worry for me, the bike stereo will easily cover any wind noise lol.. Just after a light helmet for the longer trips plus having a few neck priblems to deal with.. This getting old business sucks

Comment

Suomi are very light, but half the problem with the older shark helmets is the lower edge getting in the way when turning your head. I use the KBC VR2R Afterburn.

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/riding-a...c-helmet-28353

very good tricomposite helmet and cheap because they re-releasd it due to the failure ( recall) of the VR4.
                              Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Working...
                              X