Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German town abolishes traffic lights and codes. Accidents are now almost non-existent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German town abolishes traffic lights and codes. Accidents are now almost non-existent

Interesting read / watch..
    German town abolishes traffic lights and codes. Accidents are now almost non-existent! | Minds

Welcome to 2008...

Uploaded on Jun 5, 2008
    REPORT: In the German town of Bohmte, the highway code has been abolished in order to create a common code to cardrivers, cyclists and pedestrians. (Report: B. Boussouar)

Comment

Here's a challenge...

Find out whether this is still happening and any new info...

Shared Space: Road Signs Are For Idiot Drivers - Defensive Driving School

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
        Welcome to 2008..

Yes I know. I just never remember the projects name until a friend sent it to me. Thanks for clearing up though

Originally posted by From the article
        I would love a follow up on how Shared Space is working now. Google can only find articles from 2008. There ought to be more information now that it's 2012. So if you are from Bristol, Bohmte, Oostende or another Shared Space city, please update us in the comments!
        My bet is they discovered they lost revenue from fines and disbanded the trial :p

Comment

I thought you were showing a new study on the system...

So I went looking and there doesn't seem to be info on what happened with this system...

Comment

Implemented in numerous places around the world. Most people like it, some don't as they feel less secure. Blind people had to find new indicators of their surroundings.

Comment

It seems it only works in low, slow traffic areas to start with...

Sort of like places that already have a traffic flow problem due to congestion of vehicles and pedestrians...

Comment

I would be interesting in small city centres such as Joondalup etc, as a trial. Again I think that the loss of fines may be problematic to political acceptance.

Comment

The first place I thought of here is Rockingham Fore shore...

Change all the road area into paving, and the paved areas are shared spaces with no signage...

Comment

Working...
                  X