victoria getting tough on driver distractions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• victoria getting tough on driver distractions

heard on tripple j this morn that victorian police are going to start taking big demerit points off (upto 4)
    car drivers if they see them being distracted by phones etc
    this has to be good news for bike riders and other road users
    has wa got reasonable laws or are we playing catchup ???????
    thoughts anyone?

Good.

Comment

Thoroughly approve. Bring it here pronto.

Comment

The last thing we need is more laws.

Road rules like 'failing to pay due care and attention' and 'careless driving' etc have always existed. These existing laws are what should be ised rather than making a new one every time someone blinks.

Comment

Nothing about new/more laws here. It's about enforcing existing laws with greater penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by bennings View Post
            3 demerits and $250 IIRC

Just about got squished by some dopey woman last week while she drove the wrong way up Murray Street and chatted on her phone.....
            Originally posted by mekon
            Why are pirates called pirates?
            Because they Arrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by shmoo View Post
              The last thing we need is more laws.

I say we just get issued with a gun,
              if you see some tard on a phone, putting on makeup or stuffing around when they should be concentrating on driving just shoot em.

Id give it a week until we have the safest cagers in the world.
              National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeL View Post
                3 demerits and $250 IIRC

Just about got squished by some dopey woman last week while she drove the wrong way up Murray Street and chatted on her phone.....
                Maybe she thought it was open already? Won't be long

Comment

Originally posted by MADOGA View Post
                  I say we just get issued with a gun,
                  if you see some tard on a phone, putting on makeup or stuffing around when they should be concentrating on driving just shoot em.

Id give it a week until we have the safest cagers in the world.
                  Then the media will start focusing on these horrible murdercyclists that are an accident waiting to happen because they are concentrating on killing fuckwit cagers rather than riding.

Comment

Originally posted by AliastheJester View Post
                    Then the media will start focusing on these horrible murdercyclists that are an accident waiting to happen because they are concentrating on killing fuckwit cagers rather than riding.
                    Nope. They won't be appealing to a dead demographic.

Comment

Originally posted by bennings View Post
                      heard on tripple j this morn that victorian police are going to start taking big demerit points off (upto 4)
                      car drivers if they see them being distracted by phones etc
                      this has to be good news for bike riders and other road users
                      thoughts anyone?
                      You can have all the laws you like however if it can't be monitored by an automated system its simply a too inefficient system to actually raise revenue and thus shown no interest by various state govts.
                      Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Laws are useless if they are not enforced, I doubt anything will change.

Comment

Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
                          Laws are useless if they are not enforced, I doubt anything will change.
                          Agreed

Same as a law which forbids smoking in the cars with children. I have not heard anyone being fined yet
                          Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
                          remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
                          Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
                          Who died while defending his right of way;
                          He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
                          But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

So......!
                            Will this mean every speed camera photo will have to be thoroughly viewed by a human to see if ANY of the vehicles in the photo has a driver being distracted?

As it has been pointed out, we don't need any NEW laws, rules. They exist now. The only thing that doesn't exist is enforcement.

The only way it will work in WA is to have the speed cameras photograph every vehicle which passes them regardless of the speed of the vehicle. The presence of our Finest on the road looking for distracted drivers is zilch. There is the odd one or two looking for "speeders" but most law enforcement on our roads are left up to speed cameras. And as I have stated previously, speed cameras don't catch Snogglers who don't speed.

Comment

My mother in law the lovely she beast that she is, regularly gets snapped whilst talking on her phone and not once has she received a fine for the phone.
                              I'd looooove it if she did.
                              She rides too... *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                              X