Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post accident advice

Hey guys!

Got hit by a car today and just wanted some info/advice on what others in this situation have done afterwards...

I don't want to be THAT guy that takes them through the whole insurance/police report process if it's unnecessary. BUT on the other side of things I don't want to try and go it privately and have him screw me around for money etc...

Cheers!

Are you ok?

Is damage to either vehicle in excess of $3000? if so, report to police.

Otherwise, it's who is at fault, let's hope your both insured and your companies can fight it out.

If you want to go privately speak with your insurance company anyways.
    Originally posted by Rich...
    You got me in trouble...

Comment

submit a crash report http://www.crashreport.com.au

get yourself checked for injuries

keep receipts

if u have damage lodge an insurance claim with your insurer (assuming u are comprehensive)

Comment

Use your insurance, file police report.

People can change their story after the fact.

You pay for insurance for this reason.
        Originally posted by deano68er
        Originally posted by Sudu
        Loud?
        Enough to make ya hard

Comment

Go to a hospital and get your injuries looked at. However minor they may be it's best that they get recorded now in case you have complications in the future.

Comment

Need some details eg how much damage to you and your bike ?

Comment

how ya,
              hope your not too sore....im in the middle of the shit myself..even with insurance and her taking responsibility on the day, its hassle ...people change there mind ...people forget how bad it could have been...and stop playing ball.....i say file a report..at least your side of the story is in.. dont know if you are insured or not

Comment

Cool thanks, yeah I'm alright just a sore ankle, car struck back of bike and leg/ankle.

I have full comp.
                They were at fault. But started making up a story that they had a greeny...
                Damage to the bike, IMO, seems less than 1k??
                They gave me details etc.

Comment

highest priority is your health make sure you get checked over by at least a GP if you don't feel it's serious enough to tie up emergency department services, keep receipts and details in case of a possible claim with ICWA if you find something serious or can't get out of bed tomorrow.

you pay for insurance, use it.

report accident via online police crash report whilst fresh in your mind, advise the other party to do the same if you have contact details.

if the repairs will cost more than your excess then make the claim, they'll chase the other guy up, unless they're willing to hand you cash or a bank cheque for damages to avoid making a claim you can't trust them as far as you can kick them.

be courteous to the other party if they're trying to do the right thing and advise them of the steps you're taking but you don't owe them any favours.
                  Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    you don't owe them any favours.
                    This is probably the most important advice you'll get. Give people a chance to fuck you over and you can guarantee they'll take it. Use your insurance, get it done properly. They are at fault, if they don't like what's happening to them then tough fucking luck, should have been paying attention. Don't be afraid of the idea that they will be getting a proper buggering by your insurance company for that reason precisely - they hit you on your damned bike, your pride and joy. Make them pay every cent you need them to to make sure YOU and your bike walk away from this as if it never happened. That's why you pay for insurance.

Comment

The general rule is to make a police report for any incident involving a motorcycle or pushie vs car. So do that on line now. If its not a simple case take your self off to the local cop shop and fill out and get witnessed by a real cop, do not left the cadet or police support staff be the witness.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate86 View Post
                        Hey guys!

Got hit by a car today and just wanted some info/advice on what others in this situation have done afterwards...

I don't want to be THAT guy that takes them through the whole insurance/police report process if it's unnecessary. BUT on the other side of things I don't want to try and go it privately and have him screw me around for money etc...

Cheers!

Tip:

Always go through the police report, insurance, doctor visit, etc.

FUCK the other guy if he wants to do it privately. Have heard far too many horror stories where the initially all friendly situation just turns into an extended, stressful clusterfuck. This is also why comprehensive insurance is worth having. Call insurer, give them the idiot's details, let them sort it out.
                        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          highest priority is your health make sure you get checked over by at least a GP if you don't feel it's serious enough to tie up emergency department services, keep receipts and details in case of a possible claim with ICWA if you find something serious or can't get out of bed tomorrow.

you pay for insurance, use it.

report accident via online police crash report whilst fresh in your mind, advise the other party to do the same if you have contact details.

if the repairs will cost more than your excess then make the claim, they'll chase the other guy up, unless they're willing to hand you cash or a bank cheque for damages to avoid making a claim you can't trust them as far as you can kick them.

be courteous to the other party if they're trying to do the right thing and advise them of the steps you're taking but you don't owe them any favours.
                          must have been the day for it yesterday:mellow: [MENTION=17003]filbert[/MENTION] is spot on.

i had three calls about exactly the same type of accident

two are going through their insurance and im waiting to hear about the third.

[MENTION=14612]Nate86[/MENTION] if you are unsure about anything ring me on 93703770

just so you know, i own a licensed bike/car smash repair shop

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Doesn't really new to be said but I will anyway, use ur insurance that's what it's for, I ur not at fault then it's a no brainer.
                            You could agree to settle privately then when the other party suddenly gets a bill for bike parts that they weren't expecting to be so expensive and start disputing it you have no recourse and they can just walk away leaving you with in the short term the bill and a long term court case trying to get coin out of them.

Tl:dr? USE INSURANCE
                            B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Nate, I hope you're not too banged up and that you're picking up the key theme of this thread - get a medical check and use your insurer.

PS. Use your insurer.

Comment

Working...
                              X