Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triggering turn right arrow at traffic lights

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Triggering turn right arrow at traffic lights

    Where is the best place to cross the inroad sensors to trigger the turn right arrow at traffic lights. Quite often the weight of me on the KTM SMT is not enough for the sensors to trigger the turn right arrow. At one set of lights on the way to work this is the only way the turn right arrow comes on. Most frustrating waiting for a car to pull up behind me to set the turn right arrow. Anyone know how these sensors work?

  • #2
    Inductive loop set off by iron/metal I've been told to park in the center of the lane, front tyre about 400mm from the line. I've heard people rev their bikes to try and get some type of electrical pick up happening but I've never tried that. If you find yourself stuck don't take off straight ahead by merging with the lane to your left, you'll be picked up by a camera if there's one about and get fined

    Comment


    • #3
      Man, your doin' great. Stop complaining. My bike is 195Kg and I'm 107Kg, carry about 11kg of keys for bike, house, car, work, 10-in-1 keyring tool etc so when I stop at an intersection all the turn right arrows turn on.
      We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off - Fight Club

      Comment


      • #4
        im fairly sure they are a proxy sensor, will detect anything magnetic. the only problem is the amount of steel and the distance away from the sensor.
        i have the same problem at a few lights so i avoid them at certain times or go on the red.

        Edit: there you go, thats the word. Inductive loop.

        Comment


        • #5
          Calling [MENTION=6298]SONIC[/MENTION]
          Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
          Originally posted by filbert
          it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

          Comment


          • #6
            Try and sit at one of the corners of the loop so that you are triggering the loop in two spots ie; one that runs parallel with the road and one that runs across the road.

            Comment


            • #7
              If the lights go through a cycle without noticing me then I have a quick look around, then run it. Worked for over a quarter century so far ;-)
              Originally posted by Skut
              ...the problem is that no-one wants to listen to an expert, just to have their own position/circumstance supported or be acknowledged.

              Comment


              • #8
                Chatting to Sonic recently and we discussed this. As you get near the line cross the oil slick, or stop very close to it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Read somewhere that if you buy a "rare earth magnet" from Jaycar or similar then attach this to your sump it does the trick. A small but very powerful magnet it will stick to the sump on its own magnetism. I've not tried this myself but seems to make sense.

                  Jeff.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ian Forsyth View Post
                    Where is the best place to cross the inroad sensors to trigger the turn right arrow at traffic lights. Quite often the weight of me on the KTM SMT is not enough for the sensors to trigger the turn right arrow. At one set of lights on the way to work this is the only way the turn right arrow comes on. Most frustrating waiting for a car to pull up behind me to set the turn right arrow. Anyone know how these sensors work?
                    I do. PM me the intersection and I'll have a look at it when I'm back at work Thursday night.

                    Originally posted by Drasius View Post
                    Calling [MENTION=6298]SONIC[/MENTION]
                    Wrong one...
                    If she ever comes back she'll probably hate me for cluttering up her inbox/notifications

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by HIHO View Post
                      Chatting to Sonic recently and we discussed this. As you get near the line cross the oil slick, or stop very close to it.
                      No no no. I told you that even though the center is the most sensitive spot you'll crash and die if you ride there and I can't tell you to do that or I'll get in trouble again

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        rev it, high beam whilst being parked over the cut in the road for the loop. Usually very obvious. Not to some it would appear.
                        Last week saw a two up on Warton waiting for green arrow into Garden, they were so far right against the island they were nowhere near it going off. Watched him miss it change.
                        Originally posted by Abuse this
                        Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Sonik View Post
                          Wrong one...
                          If she ever comes back she'll probably hate me for cluttering up her inbox/notifications
                          I wondered why it was all in caps...
                          Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
                          Originally posted by filbert
                          it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by spitfire9au View Post
                            Read somewhere that if you buy a "rare earth magnet" from Jaycar or similar then attach this to your sump it does the trick. A small but very powerful magnet it will stick to the sump on its own magnetism. I've not tried this myself but seems to make sense.

                            Jeff.
                            Apparently this also helps with picking up the tiny filaments of metal in your oil and keeping them in one place instead of running them through the engine constantly. However, I'm not sure how accurate that is either.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Try doing whatever it is you do for "turn left" arrows.

                              Should solve the problem when turning right.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X