Dealers recommending oils for servicing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealers recommending oils for servicing

Just took the r6 in for a service at a yam dealer and I bought in my own oil which I haven't used before, silkolene pro 4.
    He basically said the pro 4 is not any better then yamalube mineral oil and If I used it I would have to use full synthetic all the time. I have no problem in using full synthetic in future but why would he talk me out of using it.

Yamalube is pretty good oil and a known quantity to Yamaha, if they sell and recommend it then they know that broken bikes are caused by something else, if it was cheaper than what you brought in he probably thought he was doing you a favour.

We have to run recommended oils in our trucks for the warranty period and it works in our favour, when a $75k gearbox goes crunch they pull it out and repair or replace at their expense instead of trying to BS us about oil and intervals.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Because they cant charge you a markup for your oil if they don't have a 'supplying own parts policy'
      "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

I have worked in the motorcycle industry, the profit in a few litres of oil is very little

If everybody keeps trying to prevent motorcycle shops in Perth from making a profit on parts and consumables guess what the hourly rate will do !

There is (or at least was) a shop in Perth that has a higher hourly rate for those that supplied their own parts, oil etc
        It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
        Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Well what do you guys think of silkolene pro 4?

Comment

Originally posted by nikybomb View Post
            Just took the r6 in for a service at a yam dealer and I bought in my own oil which I haven't used before, silkolene pro 4.
            He basically said the pro 4 is not any better then yamalube mineral oil and If I used it I would have to use full synthetic all the time. I have no problem in using full synthetic in future but why would he talk me out of using it.
            Synthetic is compatible with whatever other oil you have in there.
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

we use yamalube in all our bikes, we get it in 20 ltr drums as we need lots! seems ok to me

Comment

We use United Oils fully synthetic race oil in our race bikes and road bikes, the stuff is great and we can get it for $10 a litre. Let me know if you want some. Will never get a fully synthetic race oil for under 35 an oil change.
                Join RAM Motosport's Facebook page to follow our progress: https://www.facebook.com/pages/RAM-M...5324753?ref=hl

Raj Sarin #180; Bike: ZX6R; Class: SSPT; Titles: AMCC Clubmans Champion #1 (1000+cc) [NZ 2011], Taupo Three Hour Endurance Race #2 (NZ 2011), Paeroa BOTS street race #9 in Kings (NZ 2012). Tracks raced: Pukekohe, Hampton Downs, Manfield, Taupo, Barbagello (PB 60.3 on ZX6R), Collie (PB 47.4090 on ZX6R), Paeroa BOTS
                Sponsors: Motorlegal www.motorlegal.com.au United Oils

Comment

Well what do you guys think of silkolene pro 4?
                  I run Pro 4 Race in the ZX10 and CBR and have not had any issues with it. They both live close to the red line too.
                  RR VRT #100
                  Sponsors Wanted.
                  Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
                  A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:

Comment

I run Fuchs silkoline pro 4 in my Busa atm...same thing I believe. I have never had any probs with the oil in any of my bikes. I have changed to synthetic and back to dino again with no issues. It seems there is a massive difference of opinion about oils. Some swear by diesel engine oil.
                    Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

I took my bike for first service this morning and was concerned about the oil they use. They used Motul mineral 1000. I asked why they use a mineral based oil, they said that's what you need to use until the 6000kms service. Is that correct? Is the mineral based oil as good as the others semi/full synthetic or it just does the job?

Comment

He probably has a 44 gallon drum of something else.

Originally posted by Mojojojo974 View Post
                        I took my bike for first service this morning and was concerned about the oil they use. They used Motul mineral 1000. I asked why they use a mineral based oil, they said that's what you need to use until the 6000kms service. Is that correct? Is the mineral based oil as good as the others semi/full synthetic or it just does the job?

Lots of theories... Honda recommended I used GN4 (Honda's mineral based stuff, HP4 is their synth) in my 600 until 12,000.

Supposedly (so the theory goes) the synthetics can be TOO slippery during break in (which, whilst it is officially over at first service, is maybe ongoing - albeit to a lesser degree) for the motor to bed in properly. Whilst on the subject of break in - Honda do not have a break in procedure. So all this shit varies from brand to brand... and I suspect a lot of it is pretty un-scientific.

Mineral oil will not kill your bike, if that's what you're worried about.
                        Last edited by thro; 16-03-2015, 06:18 PM.
                        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

6000kms with mineral oil to bed in sounds perfectly reasonable...

What is the actual problem/question?

Do you feel ripped off that he's using a cheaper oil of sufficient quality to protect your engine from wear whilst allowing the required friction for mating surfaces to conform to each other for optimum engine performance and longevity?
                          Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Honda warrant their engines on mineral oil for 12,000km
                            if it meets the specs for the engine in the owners manual, it does the job perfectly, their engines depend on it..

Comment

Mineral oil will not hurt your engine, as the others have said it is to help with the break in process, If you use synthetic oil before the motor is properly broken in it can glaze up your bores that can result in premature oil burning and lack of compression,
                              K1 Bandit 1200S,

Comment

Working...
                              X