Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing tank protector glue

Hi,
    Looked for Cams general how to thread but couldn't find it.

How do I get this off. The guy who put it on didn't do a great job and it came off, I can live without one but want to know how to get the residue off.

TIA

edit: pic uploader not working, but basically how do i get glue residue off the tank?
    If you keep trying to explain it with logic and facts you will possibly end up hurting your sanity.

wax and grease remover or prepsol

get it from any auto store

soak it in and wipe it off.

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Just use some Eucalyptus oil.

Comment

Or turps.

Comment

Hot air gun.

Don't be shy. Get it hot, until the old residue starts bubbling and smoking. A little while after that it will go hard, not gooey and sticky, and it will fall off with a light tap of a chisel. The paintwork underneath won't be harmed at all - you're not using flame, after all.

Post photos of progress and we can use this thread as a reference.
          "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
            Hot air gun.

Don't be shy. Get it hot, until the old residue starts bubbling and smoking. A little while after that it will go hard, not gooey and sticky, and it will fall off with a light tap of a chisel. The paintwork underneath won't be harmed at all - you're not using flame, after all.

And the sound of the tank exploding will be heard all around Perth. (Added just in case the OP is very gullible )
            Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Isopropyl Alcohol in a bottle worked for me.
              - XolituDe (Rick)

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
                And the sound of the tank exploding will be heard all around Perth. (Added just in case the OP is very gullible )
                spoilsport
                "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

WD40, google it's uses.

Apparently it does lots of stuff.

Comment

Eucalyptus oil.
                    2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
                    2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
                    2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
                    2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
                    2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
                    2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                      Hot air gun.

I'll try the brake fluid before this. How gullible do you think I am ?
                      If you keep trying to explain it with logic and facts you will possibly end up hurting your sanity.

Comment

Brake fluid: brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?

On a more serious note, gentle use of a hot air gun if there's heaps of the shit there will soften it up and make it easier to rag off with Eucalyptus oil or WD40 (aka turpentine that smells nicer). I find the Eucalyptus works better than WD40.
                        Last edited by Captain Starfish; 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM.

Comment

WD40 is fish oil based so you could use that or a fillet of salmon.

WD40 will be cheaper.

Comment

I've been using an orange oil based solvent called de-solv,it on glue residue with some success, got it from bunnings, it makes your hands smell pretty and the oil/solvent washes off easily with soapy water

Works well getting tar splatters off too
                            Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by stromrider View Post
                              I'll try the brake fluid before this. How gullible do you think I am ?
                              Nobody is calling you gullible mate.

Would you like to borrow my angle grinder?

Comment

Working...
                              X