Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barbagallo advanced rider training ( BART )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbagallo advanced rider training ( BART )

So I went to the BART course at Barbs on Friday.
    What a blast,

The day started off with a classroom session which was very informal, and there was lots of talk coming from the instructors and the pupils. It covered some really interesting stuff including gear, road position, cornering techniques, braking etc.

Then we moved on to the course.
    Got to do a whole lot of slow stuff, there were loads of cones laid out in all sorts of patterns ( zig zag, slalom etc ). This is the sort of stuff that you generally don't do before you take your test, and almost definitely don't do after.
    We did some emergency braking on the straight and on a corner at speeds above 50km/h ( again not stuff you do on your lessons ).

Then in the afternoon we moved out onto the track ( Jacks hill ). This was perfect for someone like myself that has only had a license for a short while to get confidence in what my bike could do. Started out fairly slow, but with the guidance of Andrea and Craig, and the techniques they were demonstrating, was not long before I was hammering round the bends.

Finished the day off with a BBQ and one of Andrea's spicy sausages and some general chat about the day.

I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone that is still on their RE or is getting back into it after a few years. But honestly, most people will get something out of the day no matter what your experience. After all you can turn up and spend the whole day chatting about bikes with some like minded people.

So a big thank you to Andrea and Craig, had a fantastic time, well worth the money ($250 if you're interested).

Here is the link for those that want more info:

BART

Craig, wouldn't mind seeing some of those pics you were taking on the track, can I get one from you?

What are the requirements? (leathers? etc? registered bike or not?)

I was keen on the RAC track some time soon but need to get leathers........ perhaps barbs doesn't need them ??!! ?

Comment

You just need Jacket, gloves and some kevlar pants.
      Not sure if the bike needs to be registered though.

Send an email to Andrea he'll let you know. If you go the link I provided, there is the contact details there.

Comment

This is just what I've been looking for. This is definitely on the list.

Comment

From your description, it sounds very similar to a Honda advanced rider training (HART) course, run by the coppers, i did years ago. Very very very worthwhile to people new to road bikes, and very worthwhile to those that have been riding a while. I had been road riding for 10 years when I did it, went along as moral support for and ex, ended up picking up a few new tecniques and being picked up on few bad habits i had formed. Doing that course, being an australian accredited training course, got me a discount on insurance too. Does the bart course help with this? May be something they could look into.

Comment

Andrea is currently exploring about getting it accredited and accepted by insurance companies. Crisp attended the inaugural one and was duly impressed he is going to do it again in Feb and I will be joining him. Andrea is a great instructor, incredibly knowledgably with tons of practical racing experience as well. I did my R's with him, passed first time around. top bloke
            "One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your three closes friends; if they seem OK, then you're the one."

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
              Andrea is currently exploring about getting it accredited and accepted by insurance companies. Crisp attended the inaugural one and was duly impressed he is going to do it again in Feb and I will be joining him. Andrea is a great instructor, incredibly knowledgably with tons of practical racing experience as well. I did my R's with him, passed first time around. top bloke

Since when did they let motorised lounge chairs on the track? :p
              In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Originally posted by Crobbo View Post
                Since when did they let motorised lounge chairs on the track? :p
                The lounge chair has been traded for a beast an angry beast at that So bring it on baby
                "One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your three closes friends; if they seem OK, then you're the one."

Comment

lol last rider training course went on had a metre high see-saw arrangement....... that one sorted the boys from the gals
                  faster ya go closer to nirvana

Comment

Andreas did the RAC course at the airport a few years ago, and may well be doing it still. It was great, and I had been on the road for 22 years when I did it and still got a lot out of the course. I'll probably be doing another one soon. Focus is on day to day riding, rather than the race prep courses
                    Originally posted by Skut
                    ...the problem is that no-one wants to listen to an expert, just to have their own position/circumstance supported or be acknowledged.

Comment

Hey Paul many thanks for the positive feedback! much appreciated...

Yep that is correct I was working at RAC and moved to Barbs as they gave me a clean sheet to create a better course... BART was created...
                      We have start a step higher from the previous courses I was running with RAC and every month will see new upgrades as we start getting constructive feedback from the 3 BART we have run.

In the new year will be running a BART Girls Only and one dedicated to pillion riding as we do get lots of riders enjoying riding with their partners.

We will have few demo days where TM will be providing a couple of bikes (supermoto) where our participants can try the bikes in the infield... more to come

Andrea
                      MTWA - Motorcycle Training With Andrea
                      DOT Qualified Motorcycle Instructor
                      Cert IV in Training and Assessment
                      WWW.MTWA.COM.AU
                      WWW.BART.NET.AU

Comment

The police haven't done HART for years now, don't think there is any HART stuff in WA.
                        May look at doing this in the new year, never hurts to refresh old skills...
                        Let him who desires peace prepare for war......

Comment

police training is separate to Hart.

Hart do come to WA, though not a lot.
                          postie training is a big part for them.
                          also previously trained military personnel, to stop them writing themselves off on leave. though I believe funding for that has been pulled.
                          unsure if they do anything public here.
                          The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

[MENTION=7160]vale46[/MENTION]
                            If I was to do the bart course, once compleeted could the small track be acsesable like the RAC set up where we could book and have a blast (err practice) just for short arvo sessions ?
                            REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                            (anarchy in english )

Comment

Is this just an RE thing or can anyone on anybike turn up?
                              Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Working...
                              X