Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new Skully helmets with rear view camera and head up display

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • new Skully helmets with rear view camera and head up display

    Skully Helmets

    HELMET FEATURES

  • #2
    Look impressive but can't find any prices?
    "One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your three closes friends; if they seem OK, then you're the one."

    Comment


    • #3
      Call me an elitist but I see this sort of thing as nothing but an excuse for less-experienced or less-skilled - dare I say LAZY - riders to not be properly vigilant. It's not hard to be aware of what's in your mirrors and mentally mapping the cars around you without a rear-facing camera on your head projecting footage directly into your eyeballs at all times to distract you. Not only that, but that preview video reeks of bullshit. How is the rear-view camera always perfectly aimed at the middle of the road? The footage would be all over the place since you're always moving your head on a bike.

      Introducing Bluetooth pairing and voice control for Skully helmets. Pair your phone to the helmet, and unlock the connectivity potential of your mobile device while riding. The Skully P-1 allows you to control the interface with your voice. You can control your music, send texts, make calls, and change your destination all hands-free. Never before has riding been so connected.
      I think they're kind of missing the point here too. We all harp on about how dangerous it is when cagers are fucking around with their phones - even hands free - yet here comes a company that wants to bless us with the benefit of being able to keep ourselves glued to our daily life support devices while riding. Great. I'm sure that'll end well.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Archie View Post
        Call me an elitist but I see this sort of thing as nothing but an excuse for less-experienced or less-skilled - dare I say LAZY - riders to not be properly vigilant. It's not hard to be aware of what's in your mirrors and mentally mapping the cars around you without a rear-facing camera on your head projecting footage directly into your eyeballs at all times to distract you. Not only that, but that preview video reeks of bullshit. How is the rear-view camera always perfectly aimed at the middle of the road? The footage would be all over the place since you're always moving your head on a bike.



        I think they're kind of missing the point here too. We all harp on about how dangerous it is when cagers are fucking around with their phones - even hands free - yet here comes a company that wants to bless us with the benefit of being able to keep ourselves glued to our daily life support devices while riding. Great. I'm sure that'll end well.
        As far as the mirrors are concerned all I can see are my elbows on my 848 Im fucked if there is a copper behind me

        I personally wouldnt use the phone feature as I think that's too distracting, but the GPS and if it had an integrated comms system would be great Music would be a plus too

        The position of the display I think is perfect
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Archie View Post
          Call me an elitist but I see this sort of thing as nothing but an excuse for less-experienced or less-skilled - dare I say LAZY - riders to not be properly vigilant.
          do you think that helmets, jackets, ABS brakes, and any other advancement in motorbike safety is an 'excuse for lazy riders'? cars are made continuously made safer too; should manufacturers go backwards and make them death traps just to encourage vigilant driving from absent-minded mouthbreathers?

          it's up to each rider/driver to be aware and responsible on the road, regardless of how safe their equipment is.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bukefal View Post
            do you think that helmets, jackets, ABS brakes, and any other advancement in motorbike safety is an 'excuse for lazy riders'? cars are made continuously made safer too; should manufacturers go backwards and make them death traps just to encourage vigilant driving from absent-minded mouthbreathers?
            Of course not. My argument is that a rear-view camera would likely hold no strong advantage over a simple mirror and head check and throws up yet another excuse for people to be complacent. You can't compare it to safety gear, that exists to keep us from splitting our skulls on the pavement when we fall off, there's no other way around that. ABS is a good comparison, sure, but a lot of people on here will argue that electronic rider aids breed complacency and act as a scapegoat in the event of rider error resulting a crash - particularly should those systems fail. It's all about the fundamental aspects of riding - and driving - that you should not attempt to circumvent. All the driver aids you see in cars like reverse parking sensors and blind-spot detectors are a load of bollocks designed to keep lazy/shit drivers happy. If you get side-swiped by some prick in a Lexus and they argue that their blind-spot detectors didn't sense you, what will you say to them? Inversely, if you clean up some idiot on a bike that changed lanes into you and argues that he didn't see you on his rear-vision-camera built into his helmet, what are going to say to them?

            Originally posted by Bukefal View Post
            it's up to each rider/driver to be aware and responsible on the road, regardless of how safe their equipment is.
            Exactly, so it begs to question which side of the fence you're on with that argument. I'm just of the opinion that this sort of thing does nothing to improve the quality of drivers / riders on the road, merely act as yet another buffer for them to blame for their own fuck-ups should everything go horribly wrong.

            Comment


            • #7
              You can bitch and moan about people being lazy all you like, it's a cool idea. If you need me, I'll be riding around making F-16 noises.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeh, nah...

                I don't know.

                I can see the GPS thing being a great help, and linking it up to my music player. To be honest when the 'call' was coming in and the picture of whoever was popping up as he whizzed by some tram, I thought 'Nope'.

                I can see this as the way of the future.

                Imagine this linked up to those apps that tell you where speed cameras are? Imagine saying 'mark camera', and it links into a network that runs from PSB, so all other motorcyclists on PSB with a compatible helmet get the warning if they are in the area? Same for road hazards etc.... Could be very popular.

                "Gravel ahead on right hand bend"

                The trick will be being able to use it properly without being distracted.
                Last edited by devolved; 14-12-2013, 02:45 PM.
                Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
                Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Archie View Post
                  Of course not. My argument is that a rear-view camera would likely hold no strong advantage over a simple mirror and head check and throws up yet another excuse for people to be complacent. You can't compare it to safety gear, that exists to keep us from splitting our skulls on the pavement when we fall off, there's no other way around that. ABS is a good comparison, sure, but a lot of people on here will argue that electronic rider aids breed complacency and act as a scapegoat in the event of rider error resulting a crash - particularly should those systems fail. It's all about the fundamental aspects of riding - and driving - that you should not attempt to circumvent. All the driver aids you see in cars like reverse parking sensors and blind-spot detectors are a load of bollocks designed to keep lazy/shit drivers happy. If you get side-swiped by some prick in a Lexus and they argue that their blind-spot detectors didn't sense you, what will you say to them? Inversely, if you clean up some idiot on a bike that changed lanes into you and argues that he didn't see you on his rear-vision-camera built into his helmet, what are going to say to them?



                  Exactly, so it begs to question which side of the fence you're on with that argument. I'm just of the opinion that this sort of thing does nothing to improve the quality of drivers / riders on the road, merely act as yet another buffer for them to blame for their own fuck-ups should everything go horribly wrong.
                  every safety feature is on the same sliding scale. your criticism of active safety features and love for passive safety features is little bizarre.

                  this helmet is a great idea with obvious benefits. whether or not some people might become complacent or 'blame' the helmet for their own fuck up has nothing to do with whether it's a good idea. technology doesn't excuse bad riding/driving, which is a separate issue that should be dealt with separately.

                  reversing sensors are bollocks? if you can't see how technology and human vigilance can co-exist to optimise safety, you should come join us in the 21st century. it's quite nice here.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bukefal View Post
                    you should come join us in the 21st century. it's quite nice here.
                    Is it? Is it really?

                    ... Seriously though, I get what you're saying. The more the merrier because at the end of the day it is going to save someone from being swerved into by an inattentive bint in a Lexus, or rear-ended by an inattentive bint in a Lexus. Or just Lexus drivers being Lexus drivers on a daily basis. I'm just too used to seeing people having a big fucking whinge because all the driver aids in the world can't save them from being impossibly stupid.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Archie View Post
                      Is it? Is it really?

                      ... Seriously though, I get what you're saying. The more the merrier because at the end of the day it is going to save someone from being swerved into by an inattentive bint in a Lexus, or rear-ended by an inattentive bint in a Lexus. Or just Lexus drivers being Lexus drivers on a daily basis. I'm just too used to seeing people having a big fucking whinge because all the driver aids in the world can't save them from being impossibly stupid.
                      it really, really is.

                      sounds like you've had issues with a lexus driver or three?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Archie View Post
                        Of course not. My argument is that a rear-view camera would likely hold no strong advantage over a simple mirror and head check and throws up yet another excuse for people to be complacent.
                        Go ride a 848 and say that. As said earlier..All I can see in the mirrors of my 848 are my elbows, absolutely nothing behind me.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Archie View Post
                          How is the rear-view camera always perfectly aimed at the middle of the road? The footage would be all over the place since you're always moving your head
                          Well I have a helmet mounted mirror on my bicycle helmet. The changing view when you move your head is a definite advantage in my experience (15700km last year, 12000+ so far this year). You don't even see the mirror until you want to use it, then if you move your head slightly left and right you can see any or all of the stuff behind you. You really have to try it to appreciate its value. Still do normal looking and over the shoulder checks though.
                          Originally posted by mekon
                          Why are pirates called pirates?
                          Because they Arrrrrr

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Archie View Post
                            C It's not hard to be aware of what's in your mirrors
                            Someone's never ridden a sportsbike with bad mirrors...

                            HUD is a pretty damn fucking smart addition to a helmet. (and a little overdue considering technology).

                            Really, what a debbie downer.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Soon we will have lap HUDs complete with splits
                              HUD is way over due, they have been in dive goggles for years, ski goggles also.

                              As for rear view , any thing made to help should be good if well thought out.
                              bring it.

                              - - - Updated - - -

                              Soon we will have lap HUDs complete with splits
                              HUD is way over due, they have been in dive goggles for years, ski goggles also.

                              As for rear view , any thing made to help should be good if well thought out.
                              bring it.
                              REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                              (anarchy in english )

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X