Textile or Leather summer gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Textile or Leather summer gear?

Went for a spin out to York at the weekend to wear in a New PR3 rear tyre. I was suited up with all my gear, boots, textile pants and jacket, spine protector, helmet and gloves. When I got to York sweat was rolling down my arms and into my gloves. When I got home there wasnt a dry stitch on me. It wasnt too bad when I was moving but when I got back to the city and stopping at lights and moving slower I started to heat up again.

Now I am thinking of getting some new gear for the summer months but not sure whats best, a different set of textiles or a set of leathers?

Any advice?

Sambo

Dainese Air-Flux Textile Jacket - RevZilla
    I use this. Incredibly good air flow. Has shoulder/arm/elbow pads. It's great.

I use my normal Apline SP1? Gloves (yeah hands get hot oh well) and normal boots but the jacket is the main thing.

Also welcome to summer
    Originally posted by Rich...
    You got me in trouble...

Comment

I looked at the Draggin Shirt but most people were of the oppinion that it was not much chop!

But i am convinced that it would have been magic yesterday!

Comment

I just picked up a DRI RIDER summer texile jacket from Highway Yamaha and it is the best i have for air flow and keeping cool. I also have a M2R leather and a Technics Leather summer jacket. The DRI RIDER is by far the best for keeping cool. Cheap too. listed at $199
        Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

I had a textile jacket last summer but it has a waterproof lining & was horrible. I've got a leather jacket with vents everywhere & is much more comfortable. I have a pair of Five "Stunt" textile gloves, also very comfortable.
          The correct number of bikes to own = N + 1, where N is the current number of bikes you own.

Comment

Originally posted by BOFH View Post
            I had a textile jacket last summer but it has a waterproof lining & was horrible. I've got a leather jacket with vents everywhere & is much more comfortable. I have a pair of Five "Stunt" textile gloves, also very comfortable.
            Lining isn't removable?

I have a textile with removable liner. Once the liner is out, its essentially mesh with elbow/shoulder pads. Pretty good in summer.

I personally find the worst part is the boots. My feet swelter in this heat.

Comment

I have a textile Tecknic stunt jacket that I wear about town keeps me pretty cool come summer but come the fast country rides i will go full leather no matter what the heat. My Alpinestars jacket and pants both have neoprene sections on the arm and inner thigh that allow pretty good airflow thru so that makes a big difference without sacrificing crashability to much
              B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

I have a Bering Keers (bough in France) textile jacket with a removable liner that is a treat to wear in summer, plenty of airflow and has the usual protection plus dorsal too. the liner works good just as a windblock too, so if you ride to work say on a cool morning but the day will be hot, it makes those situations very manageable.
                Originally posted by boeman
                Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.
                Originally posted by Chuck Steak
                Well fuck off then. And wherever you decide to fuck off to, keep telling them Perth is a shithole - it may help minimise the number of fuckwits/arseholes (can’t decide which word is more appropriate ) that move here.

Comment

List of suggestions:

Ride in shorts and a tshirt, it's much cooler.
                  Buy white protective gear that reflects the heat, unlike black.
                  Ride a bike that isn't a 1400cc heat pump equipped with a fan designed to blow warm air on you.
                  Keep your rides out of the peak sun.
                  Lose weight, you sweat less.

I ride in an RS Taichi leather jacket, it's the most breathable leather jacket I could find and fits perfectly. It's still way hotter than my oversized Technic Chicane textile jacket... or my singlet.
                  Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                  1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Originally posted by boeman View Post
                    Lining isn't removable?

I have a textile with removable liner. Once the liner is out, its essentially mesh with elbow/shoulder pads. Pretty good in summer.

I personally find the worst part is the boots. My feet swelter in this heat.
                    I have Shark Leather perforated leather boots, they're awesome this time of year. Possibly not so much in a rainstorm though...
                    The correct number of bikes to own = N + 1, where N is the current number of bikes you own.

Comment

Don't forget to shove a squishy ice brick down the back of your jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by Samboleary View Post
                        Now I am thinking of getting some new gear for the summer months but not sure whats best, a different set of textiles or a set of leathers?

Any advice?
                        2c. I'd get both - I don't consider it an either/or choice.

Gear is only good if you wear it, and for low speed light to light commuter style stuff, leather sucks.

Mesh is far more likely to actually be worn more often. Agreed, it won't probably work too well at higher speed, but higher speed country runs is what you break out the vented leather for.
                        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

A leather jacket with a fully perforated chest panel is usually plenty, but lets face it; you'll always be hot and sweaty in summer.

I do also agree with the light coloured theory, all three of my leathers/textiles have been white and I've usually not suffered the heat as bad as mates in black. The downside is that you look like a twat. Just about to pickup my first black leather jacket on Friday, so will do a comparison between the two colours.
                          Ryan

Originally posted by Aufitt
                          Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

Comment

Originally posted by Sookie View Post
                            Dainese Air-Flux Textile Jacket - RevZilla
                            I use this. Incredibly good air flow. Has shoulder/arm/elbow pads. It's great.

I use my normal Apline SP1? Gloves (yeah hands get hot oh well) and normal boots but the jacket is the main thing.

Also welcome to summer

+1 bought one on the Weekend,

is epic along with an open face helmet so everyone can see my grin

RR
                            http://www.cleanride.com.au - https://www.facebook.com/cleanridedetailingstudio/ - https://twitter.com/CleanRideAD - https://www.instagram.com/clean_ride_aus/

Comment

I run the A* tgpr1 mesh jacket and it's got awesome airflow. If it is even slightly cold though, you get real cold, real quick. It feels safe enough for what I do. Five "stunt" gloves are nice too, but they don't feel very safe. I still haven't come across a set of summer pants that tick all the boxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X