R1 take off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1 take off

Hey guys, I'm new here so hope I'm doing this right. I've just bought a 08 r1 and find it hard to get a good start without getting bogged down. Really have to rev the nuts off it to get a jump. Is this normal?

Are we talking regular riding or spirited riding? What did you ride before you got the R1?

Either way, it's an inline 4 cylinder. You need to rev it's guts out, that's just how they work. Doesn't matter if it's a 250 or a 1000, they only really come to life half way up the rev counter.

Comment

Hey.
      It's been a couple of years but I had a gsxr 600.
      I understand what you're saying but it does seem a bit exaggerated, was just wondering if this was common with the r1s.
      It's for 'spirited' riding by the way!
      Also, it takes a few goes to start when cold so maybe it could be a fuel issue!?

Comment

Does it have an aftermarket exhaust? When was the last time the air filter was changed?

Launching a bike quickly is always down to the bike itself. Just keep experimenting with the right amount of throttle and clutch. The 07-08 R1's apparently have a relative hole in the torque at ~7000RPM so see if it applies to yours. A lot of dudes on here that can give you better details than that, I'm not an expert by any means.

Comment

Doesn't sound right to me - I'd get someone else to give it a go and get their opinion.

Comment

I don't have a problem launching my 06 R1, but it may need a bit more juice than what you think cos they are pretty gutless down low. Hadn't ridden it in a while and tried to accelerate in what I thought was suitable for 3rd gear and she pissed and moaned and wanted to be in 2nd.

Comment

I found mine extremely sluggish of the line when I first got it and even now unless it's a big clutch slip it bogs down. But u get used to it and learn to live with it. The real fun is up high in the revs
              B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

-2 down on the front

+2 on the rear.

Like a boss
                2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
                2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
                2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
                2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
                2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
                2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

Clutch issue?
                  Paging [MENTION=5182]g0zer[/MENTION]...

S.
                  Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

How many km's has it done? When was the oil last changes? Is the lever correctly adjusted?

There should be no problems launching the bike. I'd suggest you trying at the wrong RPM, and aren't getting good co-ordination between clutch release and throttle roll-on if you can't get a semi decent launch without it bogging down. There isn't a problem with clutch design of the 07/08 like there was with the 09 onwards.
                    Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Sounds mechanical rather than rider error, an 08 R1 shouldnt "seem" sluggish if you are used to riding an 600, and the fact that it takes a while to start when cold should be proof of that. They should start first pop even when cold.
                      My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Sell bike, buy a V-twin.

Problem solved.
                        Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

All it has is slip ons. It's done 19000, only just bought the bike and the guy reckons the oil has just been changed. It does seem clean as a whistle! Maybe I'm driving it like a clown so I will keep experimenting until I get it right, otherwise after a while it might just need a tune. I'm new to the bike scene in Perth so can anybody suggest somewhere. Thanks for this guys

Comment

Originally posted by Gippo View Post
                            Sell bike, buy a V-twin.

Problem solved.
                            All roses now
                            REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                            (anarchy in english )

Comment

I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket on mine.
                              Also, you really need to define 'rev the nuts off' to get off the line.
                              If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

Comment

Working...
                              X